What is the best route to Victoria Falls?

mistyron1

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
What's the best route from US to Victoria Falls?

From the US, fly to Joberg and overnight there. Fly the next day to Vic Falls. BTW, you need to decide which side of the falls you want to stay on. I've been there twice, both times on the Zambia side at Livingstone. Stayed at the Royal Livingstone which is top notch. I want to go again, but stay on the Zimbabwe side, in the town of Victoria Falls and stay at the famed Victoria Falls Hotel.

A couple other things to consider when planning a trip to Vic Falls, is time of year vs. water flow over the falls. First trip was late June and plenty of water. Second trip was mid August and due to drought in Angola, water levels were very low and little to no water going over the falls on the Zam side. We walked out on the rocks on the edge of the falls. Other consideration that my travel agent pointed out, if you go before July 1, the hotel and tour rates are lower by about 20-30%.

When planning a trip to Vic Falls, I'd suggest staying there 2-3 days tops and going elsewhere. You can do an easy road trip transfer to Chobe National Park in Botswana and spend 2-3 days there. Makes for a great week long trip.

Dave

Well said Dave - this year is going to be a beauty for Vic Falls.
The rains are outstanding.
Any time probably from Now to June will be giving you a fantastic Rain Forest experience. Bring water proof kit for electronics, it's awesome.
August - November is always low
March - June the temperature is better
December - February hot & humid

My choice April.
http://www.go2africa.com/location/6411/when-to-go

Best Time to Visit Victoria Falls

The best time to visit the spectacular Victoria Falls is from February to May, directly after the region’s summer rains, when you’ll see the world’s largest sheet of falling water flowing at its greatest volume. The green season usually kicks off in about November with the first spring rains but it takes time for the water that has fallen in the Angolan Highlands to wend its way down to a series of massive gorges. It takes a few months for the Falls to almost literally gather steam after a dry winter in mid-year. Visiting Vic Falls can be a sensory overload: the noise, heat and moisture come to together in an unforgettable natural show-stopper.

The Victoria Falls are roughly twice the height of North America’s Niagara Falls, and the thunderous roar can be heard for miles around. The sheer force of the water drives a column of spray far into the air, drenching the edge of the Falls in a fine mist and giving rise to its traditional name, Mosi-oa-Tunya or ‘The Smoke That Thunders’.

The tricky thing about visiting Victoria Falls is that the most impressive spray doesn’t coincide with peak safari season in nearby Chobe in Botswana or Hwange in Zimbabwe. Some activities, like swimming in the Devil’s Pool and certain sections of white-water rapids, are also far too dangerous to undertake when the water is at its highest and fastest.

That means that February to May is not the best time to make the most of the Fall’s close proximity to its near neighbour, Botswana, one of Africa’s legendary Big 5 safari destinations unless you don’t mind travelling in green season. The best time for a Victoria Falls holiday combined with a Chobe river safari is the dry winter period from June to August. Expect great game viewing, warm days and cool nights, little to no rain and plenty of water still thundering over the precipice.

We don’t recommend visiting the Falls at the end of the dry winter period - October through November - when the water level is lowest and the weather is very hot and humid. Low water levels guarantee you’ll have panoramic views (no misty spray) on both sides of the Falls, but the Zambian side (about one quarter of its width) may have dried up completely and all you’ll see is bare rock face. Water flow on the Zimbabwean side is permanent but ebbs in volume with the seasons.

This website is fantastic for any destination.

Zimbabwe side please :) we need you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry - definitely recommend trips to Chobe but also some fantastic camps in Hwange. Some good operators if you search .....
Camp Hwange
Somalisa
Linkwasha
Makalolo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross