What is my safari really going to cost?

I will echo the others. That seems high for 5 animals. My first Safari in 2018 was 7 days with 8 animals, kudu, eland, black and blue wildebeest, Impala, blesbuck and zebra. This was in the Northwest Province and it was less than you are paying for your 5. Check around with AH sponsors and you will get a better deal.

Also if you find a package deal that has most of your animals on it talk to the operator and see if they will swap out one for another animal.

On my first safari one of the other hunters did this to get a fallow deer on his list that wasn't offered in the package.

Don't forget you can score some great deals in the wakes of the pandemic as well. I got Buffalo + 4 PG (inc kudu) in a package for $10K. Look around, those $25K might almost be enough for two trips ex taxidermy.

I am trying to plan my first safari. The plan is for plains game in the Eastern Cape. Target species are: Mountain Reedbuck, Kudu, Impala, Red Hartebeest, and Black Wildebeest. Planning to hunt 10 days, and want to be open to other species as encountered.

Right now, based on the price list from my intended outfitter, flights, tips, and euro mounts for the taxidermy, my budget spreadsheet is saying $21-22K (not including the additional animals). I have not accounted for trophy shipping, as I really don't know what to calculate.

Based on my numbers, I feel like I really need to have $25K saved by the time of the trip to ensure I can pay for everything.

Based on other experiences, is this a reasonable number and fairly accurate? Am I way off base? Too high? Too low?

Just so you know, you can spend less than that on elephant hunts. Heck, less than that on a lot of big-5 hunts. If you're willing to spend that kind of money, going to the Eastern Cape holds the same romance as shooting the same game species behind the same fences in Texas.

Go to Zimbabwe. Euromount taxidermy and export of the pile of game you're proposing is going to set you back all-in, $3000. You'll do your own gun permit to Zim so you don't need a special travel agent or meet and greet on Emirates. Flights are $1200 in the back and $4200 in the front. Allow $3000 for tips. Allow $8000-$10,000 for high quality wild plains game hunting. I just got you a vastly superior experience for ~$15,000. Add elephant or leopard to the list and you'll still make $25,000 budget if you look at the right places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!