What is a proper "stopping rifle" and load for dangerous game?

As a theoretical question, you will get many answers, but as a practical question, I just have to agree with @rookhawk , just use the largest caliber you can handle accurately.

From what I have seen, and heard from PH´s, most "african hunters", cannot shoot properly a big bore rifle, and much less a double.
Not necessarily. ;) I shoot all my forties extremely well - every bit as accurately as one of my .375's. If I were going on a pure buffalo hunt, I probably would take one of them. However, I haven't done that hunt yet, and am unlikely to do so. All of my buffalo have been taken while also hunting other game on the same safari. Nothing offers a more practical solution for such a mixed bag hunt than a .375. These days, it will be loaded with A-Frames, and I would be just as confident trying to stop a buffalo with it as I would my .404 or 500/416. My .470 would likely do a better job turning an animal, but it is of limited utility for many other scenarios. So, I consciously do not use the largest caliber that I can handle accurately because it is not necessarily the most practical.

To reliably stop a charge or kill a cape buffalo "dead right there" I think the threshold calibre is .500.
Best bullet is a good solid with a wide flat nose like a CEB Solid, not a round nose.
The .375 is a nice buffalo hunting calibre, with good a bullet, but remember that a cape buffalo will often go at least 30 yds after a good hit from a 375. I think that the diameter of the bullet and the construction/design of the bullet are the most important factors, not velocity. JMO

To reliably stop a charge or kill a cape buffalo "dead right there" I think the threshold calibre is .500.
Best bullet is a good solid with a wide flat nose like a CEB Solid, not a round nose.
The .375 is a nice buffalo hunting calibre, with good a bullet, but remember that a cape buffalo will often go at least 30 yds after a good hit from a 375. I think that the diameter of the bullet and the construction/design of the bullet are the most important factors, not velocity. JMO
With a 500 Jeff only premium grade expanding bullets are needed for buffalo, comng or going, not solids....solids are for elephant amd rhino...

Can't argue with a .500 - but mine would be loaded with a pair of A Frames for a buffalo.

I would probably stick with my Lott. It seems to serve many PH’s quite well. Mine is very accurate and does quite nicely on plains game.

I didnt read the whole thread but had a moments reflection on the old boys with their BP in the glory days that stood up to every animal.

I agree with all said here but if your in Elephant country I want a 470 or better.Nothing turns your sporting blood to horse piss faster than a bull or cow elephant coming in complete silence!

a bullet of any size that passes through the brain of an animal will stop it no matter the size of the animal. but in a real life scenario, what happens when one doesnt make the perfect brain shot on a charging animal with ill intentions? in my humble opinion gentlemen, it is this scenario that defines “stopping” rifles. is the rifle you are using going to deliver enough kinetic energy to disrupt the charge, temporarily “knocking out” (akin to prize fighting) or stunning the charging beast to stop the charge and allow time for more follow up shots. will a shot from a 30-06 that reaches the brain on a charging buff/griz/(insert your favorite quarry) drop it like a stone? yes. will it disrupt the charge in the event of a near miss? in all liklihood, no. but take the same scenario with a .40 or bigger caliber. the kinetic energy will in all liklihood disrupt the charge (think prize fighting again). when it comes to potentially being in that scenario, the bigger the better. the kinetic shock that disrupts a charging animal from the bigger calibers is a benefit that cannot be overstated. just my humble opinion, gents. i carry my 416 RM in alaska for griz, and recently picked up a 450 NE for my yet-to-be scheduled buff hunt. happy hunting!

3B9C2417-699F-4CFD-BD69-ED8E47F5DBF5.jpeg
A869D585-7BC5-49C6-8F1E-FE8708829ACE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
When I developed my wildcat .505 in the early 1970's, my purpose was to duplicate the ballistics of the .505 Gibbs in a smaller package. What I ended up duplicating was a .500 NE, with a 570 grain bullet at 2150 fps. fired from a magazine rifle with four round capacity.

Both of my first two shots at elephant were brain shots of necessity. The first one was with my .505 and the second with my Krieghoff .458 WM double rifle. Neither shot hit the brain, but both put the elephant down and he never got up again. My last two shots on elephant were successful and did not require follow ups. I put one through the heart, just to be sure.

This is my .505, built on a P-14 Enfield action converted to cock on opening. Weight: 8 3/4 pounds. I never notice the recoil shooting at game.

Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 10.31.57 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShoshanaHe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross