Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.animalartistry.com
Media
Articles
What Happens to Your Taxidermy Deposit

index 14.jpg

In many taxidermy companies, your deposit goes into the operating account. That means it is used to pay overhead, salaries, materials, taxes and other expenses. If your deposit has been with the taxidermist for six months or more – it has been used and is gone. To keep the lights on, these folks require additional clients to provide additional deposits. If for any reason, those deposits do not come in, they have no capital to continue work.

This is one reason it takes some taxidermists so long to complete trophies that came in months before. They simply do not have the money to pay for tanning or materials for trophies that were dropped off a year ago. In short, it is a very unstable financial situation. Many taxidermists don’t understand that a deposit is not an asset, it is a loan from the client to complete his work. Be aware, some taxidermy studios are using your deposit for other clients in the hopes that more money will come in down the road. Good luck with that!

Animal Artistry uses your deposit for your mount, your tanning, your materials and the labor to produce your trophy. It is all completed in 90 days! You are assured that the money you deposited was used specifically for your trophies, not for someone else’s. We are proud of the discipline we have in handling finances. It enables us to do quality work and complete it in 90 days. This should give you confidence that you are in good hands.

harden

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Asia/M.East
Exactly, Good POST. This is why WE don't even ask for a deposit until your tanning is completed and we start your safari. We have no expense on your pieces until the tanning is complete. At that time we ask for the compensation for the tanning we are charged and then the forms are ordered as this cannot be done properly until after the tanning had been completed. Before that it is mearly an educated guess. We meticulously take skin measurements to insure proper forms are ordered and full custom adjustments and alteration are made to those forms to your trophies exacting size. Thus making it truly the real size it was when harvested. Tho' I cannot do all the commissioned pieces I am requested to do in 90 days as I mount all the pieces that go thru my studio. My finisher with 20 years experience Jamie, finishes each piece, I agree with the above post. If a business can't float a clients commission for work then something is wrong. Many members here don't even have to put down a deposit as they are return clients and we are finacially stable enough to float there work without anuntil there trophies are completed. Don't group all taxidermist in this category, as in Africa I bash a lot of bad work over there but there are some studio that are not in that same category. And I give them credit when credit is due.

Animal Artistry

Sponsor
Since 2019
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.animalartistry.com
Media
Articles
Don't group all taxidermist in this category, as in Africa I bash a lot of bad work over there but there are some studio that are not in that same category. And I give them credit when credit is due.

Thanks for your input. If you would like to refer back to the post, you will see the words "SOME TAXIDERMISTS" quite a few times. We did not group anybody into anything. This is simply explaining a business model that is often used by taxidermists that does not work well and results in significant time delays.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
On North American work I like a deposit up front to cover skinning, fleshing, salting and cooking the skull. Have had too many people once the excitement wore off decided they weren't going to mount it after all and I've put in a bunch of time.

Animal Artistry

Sponsor
Since 2019
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.animalartistry.com
Media
Articles
On North American work I like a deposit up front to cover skinning, fleshing, salting and cooking the skull. Have had too many people once the excitement wore off decided they weren't going to mount it after all and I've put in a bunch of time.

That makes complete sense! We collect the deposit right away since we send our skins to the tannery as soon as they come in. No matter what the hunter chooses to do, we will still incur costs for tanning so that has to be covered up front.

harden

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Asia/M.East
Thank you. Our shipments of client skins are delivered directly to out tannery from the brokers we work with and have no delays in additional shipping time getting to our tanning faculty. It's import as you say to get the skins to the tannery as soon as possible. With this scenario our client crates go thru USFW with the broker and directly to the tannery.

Animal Artistry

Sponsor
Since 2019
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.animalartistry.com
Media
Articles
Thank you. Our shipments of client skins are delivered directly to out tannery from the brokers we work with and have no delays in additional shipping time getting to our tanning faculty. It's import as you say to get the skins to the tannery as soon as possible. With this scenario our client crates go thru USFW with the broker and directly to the tannery.

That's wonderful! Sounds like you run a great operation.

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
While I respect you opinion I would have to say I disagree with much of it. I am about as small of a taxidermist as a guy can get yet I operate off of a business line of credit like most major businesses do. I require a deposit upfront as I dont want to be stuck with someones animal that they never pick up and I have completed. By requiring a deposit up front it cuts down on my business loss on the rare occasion someone doesn't pick their mount up.
I also have clients who pay in full up front as a result of their own preference.
I will agree that there are way too many fly by night guys out there that will take the money and run, unfortunately that happened to me once many years ago before I was a taxidermist and I lost my animal and my deposit.
The best thing a person can do is to use a reputable company, whether big or small. Places like AH here are a great resource for many as sponsors like myself and Dennis have been around for several years and done quite a bit of work for many of our members here. It's also nice as many of us help each other out as needed and is a very great group of folks to work with. Welcome to the group and please feel free to holler if ya'll need anything.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
I for one think it perfectly reasonable to ask for a deposit. That assures the client is serious about paying for the work to be done.

jeff

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
I have some repeat clients that I know and don't ask for a deposit, new clients that I don't have a history with I want a deposit.

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
The wait times are what get me not deposits etc. in my part of TX it seems everyone wants to be a taxidermist! My son even worked as a finisher for a while. Good post

harden

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Asia/M.East
Phillip , I totally understand your wait time issues with shops , but here, wait times are what they are a year or so, yep. Because I can only create so many pieces a day and I don't want people or hire people to put your pieces together. It's a paycheck to them it's not for me it's my art. Every mount IS a piece of me and my hands. Thats not why you commision me to do your work. I Didn't build my rep on speed or having employees put up pieces and crank them out. I could it's easy there are thousand of so called taxidermist everywhere, Like you say everyone wants to be one they are everywhere. Its a unlicensed professional to get into it costs nothing and licenses are juts paying a fee to a state agency, No pre conditions to get a taxidermy license anyone can get one. I don't hire because none of them would be as good these 2 hands can do on your work at my studio. In my shop only a vetted world champion puts your mounts together and only a vetted world champion finishes them.

BnC 04

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, RMEF, DU, NWTF, NRA
Hunted
Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
Good information the OP posted, appreciate it. Definitely fits the glove for a past taxidermist I've had the unfortunate pleasure of donating my money to.

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
This all super good info for those of us (customers) that rely on taxidermists to ensure our trophies are preserved the way we want them. Thank you.
Several different shops and several different business models and it's easy to see from this thread that not all taxidermy shops are exactly the same. It pays for us customers to know the differences when shopping for a taxidermist.

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
Like in any business deal, get references before you shell out your hard earned cash and trophies. That is what is so great about AH. We talk about our experiences, good and bad. No one can hide anything from this group for very long. When you see someone posting here you can rest assured he's legit.

Cam Moon

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
As I was reading this I thought I'd get some feedback on what you guys (and gals) find as a real turnoff with a taxidermist you've chosen. Say you've already left your capes, sculls, and deposit.... What are your expectations as a customer? And what things make you wonder if you made a bad decision?

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
I don’t mind giving a deposit on my work, I’m actually excited when I do because I know that’s one step closer to getting it my trophy room, that being said , I as most here know have little patience on waiting for them to be completed. So I choose to pay my taxidermist extra to have them completed in 90 days as one of our sponsors here also offers. I feel his works is excellent. I’ve never been disappointed with any of the work he’s done. IMO if someone wants to wait for his or her work to be delivered in a year or longer that’s their choice. I for one know great work can be had at expedited times. It’s all about choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarrolreath

Latest profile posts

Rickmt wrote on Justbryan's profile.
What is your new shorter rifle? Thanx Bryan !
raamw wrote on neckdeep's profile.
Supply your address so I can get shipping Paypal Friend (no ) fee) is fine
Viral_SIGness wrote on Rifle57's profile.
Great person to deal with. Fast communication and quick shipper!
Sarg wrote on Philippe's profile.
Hello Philippe, did you get my PM that I sent you earlier ?

Regards Mark
raamw wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Can you advise me to properly post pix, sometimes I get it right sometimes not