What guns will you never sell? And what guns do you regret sellling?

Friend Panther Shooter
You shouldn't have purchased that Rigby. The way V treated you by blackmailing and underlying you should have just kept it. After all you earnt it and deserve it.
Cheers my friend
Bob Nelson
Bob Nelson 35 Whelen
Stop ! You are making me cry now ! I miss that .375 Holland & Holland Magnum so much. @Major Khan Sir tells me that Double Rifles which are capable of flawlessly extracting rimless cartridge casings are a true rarity.
But , it is a sin to steal another man’s valuables.

Next question:

Why that one in particular, and not your Rugers, Sporter or any of the others? o_O

That's easy. It's an all original, never issued 1944 K31 and it's not easily replaceable, unlike the others. And the stock is in phenomenal condition, as well as the metal.

Bob Nelson 35 Whelen
Stop ! You are making me cry now ! I miss that .375 Holland & Holland Magnum so much. @Major Khan Sir tells me that Double Rifles which are capable of flawlessly extracting rimless cartridge casings are a true rarity.
But , it is a sin to steal another man’s valuables.
Friend Panther Shooter
Afer seeing what V did to to a fine gentleman as your self because of his greed I wouldn't have seen it as stealing, I would have seen it as fair remuneration for wrongs done and services rendered.
V was at poor excuse for a human being and an oxygen theif in my opinion and should have been put out of his misery.
The world wouldn't have seen the loss of that lowlife as any great inconvenience.
Cheers my Friend
Bob

I usually keep rifles as long as they are useful and interesting and have a purpose in my collection. I have sold many, and don't regret that once I have enough experience with them and they have taught me what I can learn from them. But I should never have sold a beautiful little Brno ZKK 601 .308. It was one of those rare rifles that fit me like a glove. Never changed point of impact. Was styled the way I like, with a slim stock and all the traditional goodies, including the pop up peep sight and both factory triggers, the single set and I had a regular trigger for it too. It would fire 150-165-180 gr. bullets AND cast bullets into the same bullseye at 100M with hunting accuracy. I never had to worry about what I loaded it with. The wood was not exactly full of figure, but not too plain either. It required no gunsmithing to make it function just as it should. It had an original Brno QD mount with a Zeiss 4x scope that fit and functioned like they were made for each other, because they were. I was trying to "purge" my collection of admittedly too many rifles. Somebody else had more sense than I did and bought it.

Last edited:
A gun I will never part with will be my Remington 1100 410 given to me by my grandfather. I’ve had a lot of offers, but much more valuable to me.

A gun I couldn’t get rid of fast enough was a Thompson center venture 223. I fell for the advertising and inexpensive price. In the advertising, a well known outdoor personality says the only issue he has with gun is the guides always want it at the end of the hunt. Only way a guide would want that gun is if he lost his walking stick or paddle and had no other options. Endless problems I had never encountered before.

I once had a gun I would not sell. There have never been any hunters in my family and my dad refused to allow a rifle in the house. My boyhood friend, Fred, went hunting all the time with his Dad and Grandfather and once he turned 14 years of age, his dad allowed him to hunt on his own. I would tag along and act as Fred's spotter. Once in a while, I was even allowed to carry the rifle, mostly a .22 or a .243. I even got to shoot a squirrel or a woodchuck on a rare occasion. This continued for years until I went to college. I graduated and returned to my home town, took a job, got married and continued to spot for Fred. At age 22 I received my first bonus and purchased a clothes-dryer for my wife and a worn but well preserved Winchester Model 88 in .308 Winchester with a fixed power 4X scope from Fred, who sold it to finance the purchase of a Remington Woodmaster in .308 Win. I was surprised he sold it as it had been his father's rifle. The Model 88 is a rare breed. A lever action gun with a rotating bolt and a detachable magazine. Easy to carry, east to shoot and accurate. The first time I went afield with Fred, after spring woodchucks, I saw a woodchuck and whispered: "Fred - woodchuck!!" while pointing across the field. Fred's response was: "Shoot the damn thing, you have a gun!" And so I did. Fred and I went on to hunt deer all over New England, my very first was a nice heavy 8-point in Maine. We also shot bear in New Hampshire and Newfoundland, moose and caribou in Newfoundland, more deer in New England and multiple woodchucks, other "varmints" and other game: they all fell to the "88", fed with hand loaded 110 grain to 220 grain bullets of the day. This was always my first gun and my favorite even though I was well on my way to collecting many "nicer" firearms. Then Fred begat Leif and Lief turned 10. Just before Christmas, Fred called and asked to buy "his fathers rifle" to give to his son. I refused saying that his father had other guns and this was my "first" and it was special to me. Fred called the next year with the same request - he received the same response. Over the next several years, Fred made the same request and then gave up. A few years past by and Leif turned 18. Fred's wife Jane called, pledged me to secrecy and said that she wanted to buy the old "88" to give to Fred so Fred could give it to Leif for Christmas. I refused and she upped her offer. I refused again and she pleaded and upped her offer again. When she offered well over $2000, I told her that the gun was not mine to sell, that it belonged in her family and that I had simply been renting it all these many years. Now that I had received fair value for my "rent", I was giving it back to Fred so he could give it to Leif. That fall, Leif shot a really big 8 point on his dad's land. The "88" was back home.

Last edited:
I'll keep my 30-06 1950 Mannlicher-Schoenauer which I restocked myself, and a Christoph Funk drilling in 12 ga and 8x57jr. Guess I would also have to include my first .22 when I was 14. Really wish I had not sold my Greener 12ga side-x-side non ejector--gun killed wherever I looked. Lastly, I regret selling a DRGM Kersten bolted 9.3x74R double rifle...what was I thinking?

My Sako .270 is one rifle I would never part with.
I purchased this rifle in 1983 my first year of working after I had finished high school.
When I was in high school my best friend and I would catch the bus after school into town and look at the Sako's on display in the window of the local gun shop. We vowed to each other that we would buy a Sako when we had the money. That's exactly what we did in our first year of work. My friend purchased a Sako in .243 and I grabbed the .270. We both still have them today 37 years later.
My Sako .270 has had just over 3000 rounds through the barrel in anger at game and still manages to shoot 3/4" groups with 130gr Woodleigh's.
It has had three scopes in its life so far and I had the metalwork re-finished a few years ago. The stock is plain but this gun has performed flawlessly over the years.

upload_2020-4-9_10-56-47.jpeg

Only guns I wouldn’t sell are my dad’s old Remington pump 30-06, my grand dad’s Mauser 30-06, and my dad’s 1950 Belgium Browning A5 12 gauge. Everything else is negotiable, though I imagine when I get the Blaser R8 that one is going to go on the no sell list as well.

My 4 babys that never will come up 4 sale.
`67 BRNO Safari in 375 H&H. This one has been thru a lot. Have shot all the big 5 and a large number of elephants on its consciousness.
My Tikka Wildboar 6,5x55. A PF I know...:Bag: but, after a very close encounter with a deadly wounded bear and I was not able to shoot because of the darn Hubble telescope on top at the rifle, I became obsessed with only using rifles with open sights as primary sights..well, happy days, I found this one buried in the back of the vault in the gun shop I was working in at the time. Took it to the range and "unofficially" :Angelic: shot some clay pigeons on the skeet range and we`ve been good friends ever since.
upload_2020-4-9_18-43-5.jpeg

My custom Oberndorf M98 Mauser. Built with stock measurements you normally would find on a good sporting shotgun. I won`t take full credit for this one. It is made by a great gunmaker that took my vague requirements and just nailed it. Spent three days just inletting the action in the stock. No bedding mess in this one. Only wood to metal with fantasic fit. Observe the long barrel which does wonders to the balance and the "swing" feel. Truly love this rifle.

upload_2020-4-9_18-52-22.jpeg

Fourth but not last my vintage Rigby.

upload_2020-4-9_18-53-48.jpeg

I deeply regret selling my very early produced/low serial number L.A.R Grizzly in 45 Win Mag. And there is some London best guns I regret not buying.

I've never bought all that many guns. And I dislike selling any. The guns that I buy are special to me, one way or another, at the point of purchase, and they generally keep growing on me. I've only ever let go one rifle:

I gave a rifle like this;
tikka-m65a.jpg

in a trade for this:
AUG-1_700.jpg

681D20A6-2D10-44C0-B1B0-128412492CB9.jpeg
B7655914-26D1-448F-86F8-E6373673D89C.jpeg
I have never sold a rifle of any type. However, my safe is overflowing with the recent additions of two different .375 H&H Mags.

I have been considering selling a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08. I got it years ago for my wife and kids from a doctor friend/client. He is a gun nut and it was used by his kids when they were young. He builds rifles for a hobby but the only things he did to this rifle was to put a shorter stock on it and a nicely done muzzle brake. It has a Burris one-piece base and Burris rings with a Luepold 3x-9 scope. The scope is the weak link as it is a cheaper model but I never did replace it. It’s a clean little rifle that is setup well for kids or a smaller lady. I have 5 or 6 boxes of 140gr ammo that I would throw in. So, if anyone is looking for such a rifle, let me know. My kids are grown and too big for it now and the wife would rather shoot our 6.5 GAPP SAUM. Make a reasonable offer.

I sold a Ruger No 1 chambered in 9.3x62 for, when I look back, not enough money. I regretted that one almost immediately. I sold it to fund a CZ 550 in the same calibre, but wish I would have found a way to have kept it and had both.

My father's Winchester model 95 in 30-06, my uncle's Model 71 in .348, and my brother's Model 64 in .32 Winchester Special. Not only because these are fantastic guns, but because they belonged to three of my most fantastic mentors, both in life and hunting. They are all gone, but still live today as an enduring and fond memory.

AHR #2 Upgraded CZ 550s in 7x57 and 30-06. AHR #3 Upgrade in 375 H&H. I have sold every rifle but my CZ 550s. I do not see those or my Benelli SBE 2 ever being sold. Great memories with all of them. No regrets selling all the others.

These are the arms which I own , that I will never sell :
1 ) My .458 Winchester Magnum , which was built by Flaig’s in Millvale , Pennsylvania on a Winchester Enfield Model 1917 action . It has a 25 inch Douglas Premium barrel and a contoured French walnut stock .
B0EB75D3-A018-49F4-98C6-A596FC856CEB.jpeg

2 ) My Laurona 12 bore sidelock ejector . It has double triggers and 30 inch barrels ( left - 1/2 choke , right - 1/4 choke ) .
F01F8A6F-2E3C-4F67-A267-F49B13C755FE.png

While I have never actually sold any of my arms , I do regret losing a BRNO .22 LR ( Long Rifle ) bolt action rifle which my father used to own . I lost it during the Bangladesh liberation war in 1971 . I was later able to purchase another , quite identical to father’s . I still own that one today .
EE76D711-6460-40C1-8CED-184ECFDA8AB1.jpeg

There is a really beautiful rifle that I had seen , which I really regret not buying . In 1975 , a foreign hunter came to Bangladesh to shoot a marauding Royal Bengal tiger ( with special permission) . He was armed with an Earnest Dumoulin side by side box-lock ejector double rifle in 9.3x74 mm Rimmed . He later offered to sell me that rifle , but I could not afford what he was asking for it at the time . Ah well , the one that got away .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg