What???!!! Gloss black cerakote scope

curtism1234

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Forgive me if I am late to this party, but I am honestly in shock right now. As everyone knows, new gloss scopes are pretty much gone --- scratch that --- gone. I had almost given up on owning another gloss blue rifle ever again as I'm not a fan of leupold (by far the easiest used brand to find on eBay)

I did however stumble on some places that offer cerakote finish on your riflescope for less than $100.

Pictured is a Vortex Diamondback matte from the factory and turned into gloss. I am speechless!

Other than potentially losing warranty, is there a con to cerakote finish?
DBK-04-BDCGB_VTX_GB_41240_EA1__30606.1580147055.jpg

I don’t see a con... it’s an affordable finish that stands up to quite a bit of abuse and is also corrosion resistant... Assuming the gloss blue looks as good in person as it does in the pic..I’d definitely give it a try

Looks to me like a hybrid.
Not really a true flat black or shiny enough to be glossy...somewhere inbetween.
However, it's as close to glossy as I've seen on a NEW scope in quite a while.

I prefer gloss scopes on blued rifles with wood stocks. Some of the cerakote guys have gotten pretty good at mimicking the blue of a traditional bluing. With cerakoting scopes an option you could have a reasonably weatherproof gun that looks very traditional and have modern glass.

I like this option. If I’m not mistaken Leica has a gloss option, Leupold Custom Shop and a discontinued Khales with steel tube and actual bluing. If you don’t like these three options $100 to cerakote ain’t that bad. I would roll the dice if they promised to replace the scope should they screw it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg