What game cannot be hunted with a recurve bow?

Décio

AH senior member
Reaction score
I read cape buffalo can only be hunted with a 80lbs bow, and most recurve bows are only 60lbs maximum. Cape buffalo can only be hunted with a compound bow? A 150lbs crossbow is enough for cape buffalo?

I know that hippo, elephant cannot be hunted with any bow, but I'm interested in game like kudu, impala, wildebeest.

I don't think there is any besides the ones that are not permitted. That said even Elephant have been taken with a recurve in the past, but due to the high wound rate they totally stopped it here in SA, Not sure about other countries.
I have successfully taken a few animals with a recurve bow and also guided clients on Buffalo hunt.

If you can get close enough and shoot straight you will kill it.

I read cape buffalo can only be hunted with a 80lbs bow, and most recurve bows are only 60lbs maximum. Cape buffalo can only be hunted with a compound bow? A 150lbs crossbow is enough for cape buffalo?

I know that hippo, elephant cannot be hunted with any bow, but I'm interested in game like kudu, impala, wildebeest.
You will likely only find mass produced recurves up to about 60lb. But you can order any recurve or long bow made to whatever weight you want. I used to have a bear T/D recurve at 80lb and once shot a 100lb longbow.

I would assume every African country has their own regulations regarding archery gear.

Well first off it depends which country. For SA, for the animals you list you would need a long bow, re curve bow or compound bow of 60 pounds, launching an arrow of minimum 500 grains with kinetic energy of 60ft/lbs, up to blue wildebeest.

Long bow, re curve bow and compound bow is legal. (For cape buffalo as well as long as it meets the minimum requirements see below)

Crossbow is illegal no matter the poundage.(The reason is the arrow length minimum is 50 cm)

medium game, including reedbuck, impala, blesbuck, warthog, bushpig, springbuck, and nyala (Category 2)-
(i) bow with a minimum draw mass of 50 pounds;
(ii) bow generating a minimum kinetic energy 50ft/lbs; and
(iii) minimum arrow weight 400 grains;

large game, including wildebeests, kudu, gemsbuck, zebra, waterbuck, sable, and hartebeests (Category 3)-
(i) bow with a minimum draw mass of 60 pounds;
(ii) bow generating a minimum kinetic energy of 60ft/lbs; and
(iii) minimum arrow weight of 500 grains;

Cape buffalo (Category 4)-
(i) bow with a minimum draw mass of 80 pounds;
(ii) bow generating a minimum kinetic energy of BOft/lbs; and
(iii) minimum arrow weight of 750 grains;

giraffe (Category 5)-
(i) bow with a minimum draw mass of 90 pounds;
(ii) bow generating a minimum kinetic energy of 90ft/lbs; and
(iii) minimum arrow weight of 750 grains.

In addition to the above following conditions apply-
(a) in the case of mechanical broad heads 5% additional kinetic energy is required for Category 1, 2 and 3 wild animals;
(b) broad heads must have at least tv.o cutting edges; and
(c) the minimum permitted arrow length is 50cm.

IvW, there are many, many guys hunting in RSA with crossbows. Maybe they’re using the ones with 45cm draw lengths and using 50cm bolts? Dries Visser Safaris come to mind, as well as Africa’s Sportsmen (a TV show).

Well first off it depends which country. For SA, for the animals you list you would need a long bow, re curve bow or compound bow of 60 pounds, launching an arrow of minimum 500 grains with kinetic energy of 60ft/lbs, up to blue wildebeest.

Long bow, re curve bow and compound bow is legal. (For cape buffalo as well as long as it meets the minimum requirements see below)

Crossbow is illegal no matter the poundage.(The reason is the arrow length minimum is 50 cm)

medium game, including reedbuck, impala, blesbuck, warthog, bushpig, springbuck, and nyala (Category 2)-
(i) bow with a minimum draw mass of 50 pounds;
(ii) bow generating a minimum kinetic energy 50ft/lbs; and
(iii) minimum arrow weight 400 grains;

large game, including wildebeests, kudu, gemsbuck, zebra, waterbuck, sable, and hartebeests (Category 3)-
(i) bow with a minimum draw mass of 60 pounds;
(ii) bow generating a minimum kinetic energy of 60ft/lbs; and
(iii) minimum arrow weight of 500 grains;

Cape buffalo (Category 4)-
(i) bow with a minimum draw mass of 80 pounds;
(ii) bow generating a minimum kinetic energy of BOft/lbs; and
(iii) minimum arrow weight of 750 grains;

giraffe (Category 5)-
(i) bow with a minimum draw mass of 90 pounds;
(ii) bow generating a minimum kinetic energy of 90ft/lbs; and
(iii) minimum arrow weight of 750 grains.

In addition to the above following conditions apply-
(a) in the case of mechanical broad heads 5% additional kinetic energy is required for Category 1, 2 and 3 wild animals;
(b) broad heads must have at least tv.o cutting edges; and
(c) the minimum permitted arrow length is 50cm.
Thanks.

IvW, there are many, many guys hunting in RSA with crossbows. Maybe they’re using the ones with 45cm draw lengths and using 50cm bolts? Dries Visser Safaris come to mind, as well as Africa’s Sportsmen (a TV show).

Does that make it legal?

I just post what the legal requirement is, what people do is a different thing. The people in charge do not give a shit.

Does that make it legal?

I just post what the legal requirement is, what people do is a different thing. The people in charge do not give a shit.

I’m not trying to be disrespectful to you, I’m just trying to clarify something. My question, is, does having a longer draw length on a crossbow, and 50cm bolts, make it legal?

I’m not trying to be disrespectful to you, I’m just trying to clarify something. My question, is, does having a longer draw length on a crossbow, and 50cm bolts, make it legal?

No

Is it possible to submit a “Motivation” form and receive permission, similar to what one might do with a handgun? Not that I am interested in hunting with a crossbow, just curious.

Is it possible to submit a “Motivation” form and receive permission, similar to what one might do with a handgun? Not that I am interested in hunting with a crossbow, just curious.

Yes you can apply for a permit to use that. Without that though the use thereof would be illegal. If they are going to catch you if not done is highly unlikely though.....I however prefer to stay on the right side of the law.

Yes you can apply for a permit to use that. Without that though the use thereof would be illegal. If they are going to catch you if not done is highly unlikely though.....I however prefer to stay on the right side of the law.
Absolutely. Particularly when there is a perfectly viable legal avenue available.

I can confirm that custom recurves and longbow can be ordered way above 60#., and although I am a fan of the longbow, one of the advantages of the take down recurve, is that you can change the limbs to increase your poundage as you work your way up in weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swasel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!