outwestidaho

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
South Africa, cape of south Africa , Namibia, Alaska, British Columbia, Manitoba
Not including mounts skulls and hides what else do you guys do to remember the hunt?

We make photo books of our trips.

0Y2A9095.JPG

Some of the inside pages

0Y2A9101.JPG

0Y2A9100.JPG

I also take and photoshop some of our photos to be trophy photos. This is of my daughter and her mountain Zebra from Namibia. I added 2 more photos to it and blew it up to a 16 x 20. We also matted and framed it in rustic wood.

0Y2A9112.JPG

This is a pic of my 58 inch Namibia Kudu with Namibia money and Namibia professional medallions attached to it.

0Y2A9108.JPG

Did this canvas print of the wife's Giraffe photo. Its 18 X 36. Framed it in 100 year old barn wood.

0Y2A9102.JPG

One of the corners in our living room.

0Y2A9104.JPG

Was just wondering if anyone did all this kind of stuff or not. I think One of the digital eras travesty's is everyone seems to want to have photos to show on their phone or computer. It just doesn't do it justice to me.

I also do a lot of videos of our hunts. We enjoy a cup of coffee and warm fire on a Sunday morning to watch our videos.

What's everyone else do with photo, trinkets etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Those books are very nice. My wife has made a couple of scrap books for me!

I also make photo books and hand them out to the people I hunted with.

We've pretty much stopped with dealing with "trophy" taxidermy. Not that we have a lot to begin with and only have done flat skins and European mounts in the past. The expense, shipping and export/import hassles are just a bit too much.

We don't do the photo books but those look terrific. We've been just having a few of the best pictures done with the Fracture pictures printed on glass and then having custom frames done. She also found some place that does custom wall calendrers and has one made up. Lots of great memories that we can put in every room without being as...overwhelming as a wall mount.

Oh, and start planning the next trip.

Reactions: WAB
We do the photo books as well. Our taxidermist in Bulawayo/Pretoria does amazing leatherwork. We have had a number of hides tanned and used in belts, bags, purses, cartridge slides, etc.. Warthog is one of the best for clutches/purses and buffalo for belts, slides, duffles, etc.

Photo Album
Detailed, more then 100 page dairy.
Souvenirs.

Next trip, will dedicate more days for local sighseeing, will make thicker album.

We also do a photo album, I had a picture of my wife with her croc painted on a piece of buffalo leather from our hunt in 2015.
@outwestidaho Like the beetle killed pine on your walls. I have used some to build our trophy room doors and pedestal for my wife's black wildebeest.

We also do a photo album, I had a picture of my wife with her croc painted on a piece of buffalo leather from our hunt in 2015.
@outwestidaho Like the beetle killed pine on your walls. I have used some to build our trophy room doors and pedestal for my wife's black wildebeest.
Would love to see a photo of the painting !

Yes we love the blued pine. It could be bought around here for next to nothing as they cant make dimensional lumber out of it. Not anymore , that crap is expensive now.

My room with hobbies looks eerily similar to yours-love the badger! I love the trinkets and money and things-south Africa has some of the prettiest money I’ve ever seen. Always wanted to bring home some scrimshaw bones and extra horns to make knife handles with. I also keep the spent bullet casings (brass) and write the species, distance, date and location on them. I make my books and calendars on Shutterfly but recently realized Costco has some neat canvas options and things as well.-cool trophy room!

Not including mounts skulls and hides what else do you guys do to remember the hunt?

We make photo books of our trips.

View attachment 383374

Some of the inside pages

View attachment 383376

View attachment 383377

I also take and photoshop some of our photos to be trophy photos. This is of my daughter and her mountain Zebra from Namibia. I added 2 more photos to it and blew it up to a 16 x 20. We also matted and framed it in rustic wood.

View attachment 383380

This is a pic of my 58 inch Namibia Kudu with Namibia money and Namibia professional medallions attached to it.

View attachment 383381

Did this canvas print of the wife's Giraffe photo. Its 18 X 36. Framed it in 100 year old barn wood.

View attachment 383383

One of the corners in our living room.

View attachment 383387

Was just wondering if anyone did all this kind of stuff or not. I think One of the digital eras travesty's is everyone seems to want to have photos to show on their phone or computer. It just doesn't do it justice to me.

I also do a lot of videos of our hunts. We enjoy a cup of coffee and warm fire on a Sunday morning to watch our videos.

What's everyone else do with photo, trinkets etc?
I really like the one with the money and medallions. I also make photos books from time to time. It is nice to be able to share with others the stories and pics of the hunt.
Philip

I really like the idea of the photo albums, especially with the captions as seen in the first post. Tells the story and a very classy package.
I'm interested in how you do the layout and the actual production of the books. Is this something that you put together yourself and take to a commercial printer, or is it done through an online company?

I really like the idea of the photo albums, especially with the captions as seen in the first post. Tells the story and a very classy package.
I'm interested in how you do the layout and the actual production of the books. Is this something that you put together yourself and take to a commercial printer, or is it done through an online company?
We build online on a big computer. Our favorite WAS mypublisher. They sold out to shutterfly. Shutterfly's program isn't as easy to use but you can get it done . Quality is good but not fantastic. They have an option to download your photos and they will arrange them and make a book for you. Don't use it ! A friend of mine did and its the most scrambled up mess you've ever seen.

You just click on their program for making photo books and make your selections and add and place your photos (where you want) and make what ever words and titles you want. There are several of these on line by different company's. I like my books big. I use the custom templates not one that's already built. I do them in 12 X 14. Some places don't do them this large. I pay around a hundred or so to get them printed. One word of caution , don't use snap fish the quality is horrible.

Has anyone used the Adorama photo books? I’ve started messing with it but haven’t seen a finished copy. It’s a lot of work to assemble - hoping the end result is high quality.

Outwestidaho: Thank you for the insights, and especially the cautionary suggestions on what NOT to do!

@outwestidaho sorry it took a while to get a pic or the paintaing. I will first say I suck as a photographer. The pic is done very well and my photo:Banghead:

IMG_1527.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great ideas, definitely guilty of not printing photos these days...will have to get better at it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg