WilhelmM

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SA
I've been scrolling through many of the old hunting photos in the '60s and '70s on this site and I'm amazed to see so many from CAR, considering the countries current predicament. It's quite amazing that hunters used to take top class, world record trophies consisting of Eland, Bongo, and Forest Elephant despite the fact that the country's wildlife is essentially going extinct as we speak. We all know that most African countries have had their fair share of poaching epidemics but not to the scale of CAR. I also read that elephant hunting was halted indefinitely in 1983 but without any paticular reason. It just sort of happened and that was that. Anyboy more well versed on the topic is more than welcome to respond.

The CAR has been somewhat unstable since independence from France in 1960. Its modern wildlife misery began with waves of starving Sudanese moving into the eastern part of the country in the nineties bringing their herds with them. What game wasn't killed for food was driven out or starved due to over grazing. That migration crisis was further exacerbated by continuous political instability and actual conflict largely driven by the Seleka resistance movement which has become ever more militantly Islamic in their drive for political control. Boko Haram has taken advantage of the situation to infiltrate the Seleka movement with an ever more virulent anti-Western/Christian ideology. As if that isn't enough, the pot is continually stirred by China, France, and several multi-national groups attempting to control the country's vast mineral resources. A major bill payer has been the nation's wildlife and wildlife-based tourism.

The CAR has been somewhat unstable since independence from France in 1960. Its modern wildlife misery began with waves of starving Sudanese moving into the eastern part of the country in the nineties bringing their herds with them. What game wasn't killed for food was driven out or starved due to over grazing. That migration crisis was further exacerbated by continuous political instability and actual conflict largely driven by the Seleka resistance movement which has become ever more militantly Islamic in their drive for political control. Boko Haram has taken advantage of the situation to infiltrate the Seleka movement with an ever more virulent anti-Western/Christian ideology. As if that isn't enough, the pot is continually stirred by China, France, and several multi-national groups attempting to control the country's vast mineral resources. A major bill payer has been the nation's wildlife and wildlife-based tourism.
So in short, Islamic terrorism from neighbouring countries and interference from major world powers. Africa can't seem to get a break lol

In 2012 when I hunted there, the main problem was the Lords Resistance Army (LRA) which had terrorised part of the country for many years.
The country still has good quantity of Bongo
and one or two outfitters were still active there last year.
Cheers, Stef

8A605265-02AC-4D0E-8661-25DE9E5F525C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
So in short, Islamic terrorism from neighbouring countries and interference from major world powers. Africa can't seem to get a break lol
Yep. What it is largely morphing into. The original civil conflict was far less sectarian, but Islamic dominance and radicalization of the Seleka movement has made the conflict ever more so. And of course, any Boko Haram involvement only makes thing more murderous. The Sudanese migration was largely due to drought, starvation, and Sudanese instability (think the "Blackhawk Down" era). The Chinese and multi-nationals pay-off various militia factions and the central government to protect mining operations for rare earths, uranium, diamonds, gold, etc.

In 2012 when I hunted there, the main problem was the Lords Resistance Army (LRA) which had terrorised part of the country for many years.
The country still has good quantity of Bongo
and one or two outfitters were still active there last year.
Cheers, Stef
The Lord's Resistance Army is the Christian counterpart to the Seleka movement - sort of. They probably have had more in common with a Messianic movement than a real political ideology. In any case, depends upon where and with whom you are speaking as to which group are the terrorists. The LRA also could point out the massacres carried out by Seleka - which has been gaining ascendency over the last two decades.

Hell of a Bongo.

Last edited:
As far as I have understood the old president (wanted in Haag for crimes agsinst humanity) has jjoined the rebels surrounding Bangui where the legitimate government is located. What makes it interesting is that Russia has sent some elite people and troops there to protect the Bangui regime which again is worrying France with its long colonial legacy there. - CAR is rich in rawmaterials and diamonds. A real mess....

The Lord's Resistance Army is the Christian counterpart to the Seleka movement - sort of. They probably have had more in common with a Messianic movement than a real political ideology. In any case, depends upon where and with whom you are speaking as to which group are the terrorists. The LRA also could point out the massacres carried out by Seleka - which has been gaining ascendency over the last two decades.
One of our top members nearly got killed by the LRA just a few years ago. Scary shit

I was scheduled to head in and do some road building/scouting and hunting with CAWA and everything truly went to :A Shit:. That terminated me going to "play in the jungle". Too many guys with automatic weapons for my thin little hide to tolerate.

There’s still a lot of bongo and other forest species in CAR but the elephants took a beating. When I was there, I was told that after Obama and Hillary killed Gaddafi, a lot more AK-47s showed up. In a roundabout way, you can thank Obama and HRC for the increased poaching but you won’t hear that on CNN!

Someone mentioned healthy population of Bongo, in CAR.
This is probably because it is very hard to hunt, and it lives in rain forest, so hard to poach as well. Savannah species are more susceptible to poaching, cattle overgrasing, and alike.
My guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg