What caused the poaching crisis in CAR?

WilhelmM

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SA
I've been scrolling through many of the old hunting photos in the '60s and '70s on this site and I'm amazed to see so many from CAR, considering the countries current predicament. It's quite amazing that hunters used to take top class, world record trophies consisting of Eland, Bongo, and Forest Elephant despite the fact that the country's wildlife is essentially going extinct as we speak. We all know that most African countries have had their fair share of poaching epidemics but not to the scale of CAR. I also read that elephant hunting was halted indefinitely in 1983 but without any paticular reason. It just sort of happened and that was that. Anyboy more well versed on the topic is more than welcome to respond.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
The CAR has been somewhat unstable since independence from France in 1960. Its modern wildlife misery began with waves of starving Sudanese moving into the eastern part of the country in the nineties bringing their herds with them. What game wasn't killed for food was driven out or starved due to over grazing. That migration crisis was further exacerbated by continuous political instability and actual conflict largely driven by the Seleka resistance movement which has become ever more militantly Islamic in their drive for political control. Boko Haram has taken advantage of the situation to infiltrate the Seleka movement with an ever more virulent anti-Western/Christian ideology. As if that isn't enough, the pot is continually stirred by China, France, and several multi-national groups attempting to control the country's vast mineral resources. A major bill payer has been the nation's wildlife and wildlife-based tourism.

WilhelmM

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SA
The CAR has been somewhat unstable since independence from France in 1960. Its modern wildlife misery began with waves of starving Sudanese moving into the eastern part of the country in the nineties bringing their herds with them. What game wasn't killed for food was driven out or starved due to over grazing. That migration crisis was further exacerbated by continuous political instability and actual conflict largely driven by the Seleka resistance movement which has become ever more militantly Islamic in their drive for political control. Boko Haram has taken advantage of the situation to infiltrate the Seleka movement with an ever more virulent anti-Western/Christian ideology. As if that isn't enough, the pot is continually stirred by China, France, and several multi-national groups attempting to control the country's vast mineral resources. A major bill payer has been the nation's wildlife and wildlife-based tourism.
So in short, Islamic terrorism from neighbouring countries and interference from major world powers. Africa can't seem to get a break lol

stef256

Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, FSK (Finland), Shams Club (Egypt)
Hunted
Finl, Germany,Austria, Egypt,Sudan, Zambia, SA, Zim,Austr,Namib,Sweden
In 2012 when I hunted there, the main problem was the Lords Resistance Army (LRA) which had terrorised part of the country for many years.
The country still has good quantity of Bongo
and one or two outfitters were still active there last year.
Cheers, Stef

8A605265-02AC-4D0E-8661-25DE9E5F525C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
So in short, Islamic terrorism from neighbouring countries and interference from major world powers. Africa can't seem to get a break lol
Yep. What it is largely morphing into. The original civil conflict was far less sectarian, but Islamic dominance and radicalization of the Seleka movement has made the conflict ever more so. And of course, any Boko Haram involvement only makes thing more murderous. The Sudanese migration was largely due to drought, starvation, and Sudanese instability (think the "Blackhawk Down" era). The Chinese and multi-nationals pay-off various militia factions and the central government to protect mining operations for rare earths, uranium, diamonds, gold, etc.

In 2012 when I hunted there, the main problem was the Lords Resistance Army (LRA) which had terrorised part of the country for many years.
The country still has good quantity of Bongo
and one or two outfitters were still active there last year.
Cheers, Stef
The Lord's Resistance Army is the Christian counterpart to the Seleka movement - sort of. They probably have had more in common with a Messianic movement than a real political ideology. In any case, depends upon where and with whom you are speaking as to which group are the terrorists. The LRA also could point out the massacres carried out by Seleka - which has been gaining ascendency over the last two decades.

Hell of a Bongo.

Last edited:

stef256

Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, FSK (Finland), Shams Club (Egypt)
Hunted
Finl, Germany,Austria, Egypt,Sudan, Zambia, SA, Zim,Austr,Namib,Sweden
As far as I have understood the old president (wanted in Haag for crimes agsinst humanity) has jjoined the rebels surrounding Bangui where the legitimate government is located. What makes it interesting is that Russia has sent some elite people and troops there to protect the Bangui regime which again is worrying France with its long colonial legacy there. - CAR is rich in rawmaterials and diamonds. A real mess....

WilhelmM

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SA
The Lord's Resistance Army is the Christian counterpart to the Seleka movement - sort of. They probably have had more in common with a Messianic movement than a real political ideology. In any case, depends upon where and with whom you are speaking as to which group are the terrorists. The LRA also could point out the massacres carried out by Seleka - which has been gaining ascendency over the last two decades.
One of our top members nearly got killed by the LRA just a few years ago. Scary shit

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
I was scheduled to head in and do some road building/scouting and hunting with CAWA and everything truly went to :A Shit:. That terminated me going to "play in the jungle". Too many guys with automatic weapons for my thin little hide to tolerate.

Scott CWO

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
There’s still a lot of bongo and other forest species in CAR but the elephants took a beating. When I was there, I was told that after Obama and Hillary killed Gaddafi, a lot more AK-47s showed up. In a roundabout way, you can thank Obama and HRC for the increased poaching but you won’t hear that on CNN!

mark-hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
Someone mentioned healthy population of Bongo, in CAR.
This is probably because it is very hard to hunt, and it lives in rain forest, so hard to poach as well. Savannah species are more susceptible to poaching, cattle overgrasing, and alike.
My guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Humberto54

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?