What cartridge have you thought about the most, but never owned a rifle in it?

Oh man. So many. But I’m a fussy bastard.

.303 double on a droplock action
.318 WR. Pre war takedown built by Westley Richards
.350 Rigby on a Magnum Single Square bridge.
.375 H&H. Must be a Mod 70 pre-64
.416 Rigby. Pre war Rigby
.404 Jefferey. Another Magnum Mauser.
.450 3&1/4”. 10 pound rifle with 26” barrels on a Webley and Scott PHV1 or screw-grip action.
20 Gauge British s/s. No more than 6 pounds. Again I’ll settle for a London gun built on a modest W&S action.

I’m just upsetting myself now if I go on...

Let me think...had or have of calibres I really like...got others but these are ones that would apply to the question

275 rigby
300 win mag
318 WR
350 rigby
9.3x62
9.3x74r
404 Jeff
416 rigby
458 lott
470 NE
500 NE
500 jeff

So only one I really can think of is a nice light double in 450 3 1/4 NE

There are two that I would like , one is a 6.5 x 55 and the other is a 404 Jeffery. I may get the 6.5 soon but will wait until my first trip to Africa before the 2nd

6.5x55SE for our Blaser R8's.
I have actually owned a WWI Swedish Mauser chambered in 6.5x55 built in 1918.
It was sold for a number of reasons, but having one again for hunting would be really nice.

@Von Gruff interesting choice
@Dr Ray .220 swift brass is available, somewhere. My mate has one and settled on many years go based on his reading Of Nick Harvey articles. He won’t part with that one, I shot some foxes with it
@Badboymelvin do you have any smaller rifles or is this where you start? Like a go big or go home thing.
@greyfox .17rem was popular in Australia once when Fox pelts made money for shooters, a few good ones come home occasionally but many would just get rebarrelled for .222 or .223 for roo shooting or just people shooting varmints, pests

Hey mate,

I’ve actually sold off most of my rifles so in my safe now is an Anschutz .22, a Stevens SxS 12g, a .300 Weatherby and my .458

The Weatherby is my deer rifle - plus I want to take it to Africa. Same with the .458

Both handloaded with Woodleigh projectiles.

So I guess owning a .300Wby and a .458 for deer, I do subscribe to the bigger is better theory!

Come to think of it... I all I need now is a .243 and I’m set to hunt the whole world...

Cheers,

Russ

The reason that I haven't gotten it is that I can't decide. The rifle will be a Heym, not sure if an 88 or 89; but not sure if I should go with a 450/400 so that it would be more pleasant to shoot and likely get shot a lot more for range use or if I should go with a 450, 470 or 500 just because if I'm going to go big I might as well go real big.

Let me think...had or have of calibres I really like...got others but these are ones that would apply to the question

275 rigby
300 win mag
318 WR
350 rigby
9.3x62
9.3x74r
404 Jeff
416 rigby
458 lott
470 NE
500 NE
500 jeff

I like your taste...

The reason that I haven't gotten it is that I can't decide. The rifle will be a Heym, not sure if an 88 or 89; but not sure if I should go with a 450/400 so that it would be more pleasant to shoot and likely get shot a lot more for range use or if I should go with a 450, 470 or 500 just because if I'm going to go big I might as well go real big.

Four rifles my young Padawan in your future I see

@postoak if you want a .22 centre fire have one, a .bolt .223 would be cheap range time. There re plenty of affordable bolt action models.
The .223 and .22-250 are popular in Australia, both wil the hogs with good shot placement and suitable projectile

@postoak if you want a .22 centre fire have one, a .bolt .223 would be cheap range time. There re plenty of affordable bolt action models.
The .223 and .22-250 are popular in Australia, both wil the hogs with good shot placement and suitable projectile
I agree. Before the rona you could buy good brass cases FMJ ammo (federal mostly) for 33 cents a round. That’s cheap practice.

Oh, I forgot. A Savage .250-3000.

275 rigby
300 win mag
318 WR
350 rigby
9.3x62
9.3x74r
404 Jeff
416 rigby
458 lott
470 NE
500 NE
500 jeff

I wasn’t game to list my dream rifles I never bought. But; you did it for me!
Great!!

If I went .22 I'd probably have four, a .22 Hornet, a .222 Remington, a .22-250, and a 220 Swift.

Two that I never owned but will get around to building are a .220 Swift and a 6PPC.

45-70 lever action rifle, been wondering about it for a few years.
I had sold my 220 Swift some years back and thinking of going prairie dog hunting again, .22 Creedmoor seems very intriguing.

I had been contemplating double rifles for some time, but just recently bought two so that's done for now.

I wasn’t game to list my dream rifles I never bought. But; you did it for me!
Great!!

Yeah been lucky enough to have had or still have those ones....the 450 is the only one I haven't had I can think of wanting... :D Beers:

At approaching 72 I don't have many years left as a Padawan, but maybe with a good outfitter I can cram several years into what I have left.

May the game be with you

In the seventies I always dreamed of the cartridge 300 WBY Magnum and an Weatherby Mark V rifle.

I still don't know why I never bought one in the meantime. Maybe it's not too late !:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeewangarg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Houston Bill wrote on Sketchy1973's profile.
Hello,

I am considering selling my Rizzini 470 NE double, if you have interest we should discuss.

Bill
btheis13 wrote on migrabill's profile.
I love your zebra avatar! Is that yours? If so, would you mind sharing who did your taxidermy work?
Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video