Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa
I am thinking now that I would like to hunt a crocodile. I would like to use the skin for boots, belts, purses etc., and was looking for ideas and info from other hunters who had been there and done it.
Has anyone got pics or recommendations of what they did with their croc after they got it?

The leather seatback for a wingback chair is pretty awesome.

Belts. Boots. Shoes. Teeth for a hatband. Inlays for a rifle sling. Purse. Duffle.

I have a 14' coming from a Moz hunt and I ve decided to have it made into a rug. Life size mounting was unaffordable and I understand the belly scales are too large for leather accessories. Another option is to have the skull metallic painted for display.

Rookhawk I like the idea for the chair

ive heard that 12 feet or smaller is the largest you want for garments,etc.

I'd love to have a custom seat for my Harley made out of the smoother part of the hide.

I'd love to have a custom seat for my Harley made out of the smoother part of the hide.

I guess if you use the pointy bits it would make a rough ride!! :A Stretcher: I rather like the thought of luggage

I realize crocs grow larger than 14'. But the whole experience and the magnificence of this beast was so amazing that it deserves to be preserved in its entirety rather than be cut up into western boots and gun bags.

You gotta love this!

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The leather seatback for a wingback chair is pretty awesome.

Belts. Boots. Shoes. Teeth for a hatband. Inlays for a rifle sling. Purse. Duffle.
That's the direction I think I am heading vs. a full mount. I was wondering if anyone had any experience having these things made out of their trophy. Where and who can make these things for you?

I realize crocs grow larger than 14'. But the whole experience and the magnificence of this beast was so amazing that it deserves to be preserved in its entirety rather than be cut up into western boots and gun bags.
I understand your point but there have to be some cool points given for rolling out in a pair of boots made of a croc you took. lol I think I would like to have something done with the skull though. Interested to see if anyone has any photos of that as well.

I guess if you use the pointy bits it would make a rough ride!! :A Stretcher: I rather like the thought of luggage
so would everybody else who would get to it before you at the pick up point.or even the baggage destroyers.

15 Foot croc. Yes It does eat up alot of space and the extra 3-4 guys to get it upstairs

Resized_20210523_143717(1).jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
These are beautiful mounts but I don’t have a big enough trophy room to do one justice.

Crocodiles are awesome! Just understand when you go down that road that the taxidermy on crocs and alligators is extremely expensive. Like to the tune of 650-800 per linear foot. For garments or leatherwork the belly leather is typically used. You need a smaller animal for that say 8-10 ft. Boots are made from little 3-4 foot guys up to maybe 6 tops. Again the tanning is very expensive.
long story short, and you are welcome to call me if you’d like to have a more in-depth conversation about it, is that the animals are very very labor intensive and difficult to work with. The leather is also the same for the tanneries. I have worked with a few alligators doing various things. I enjoy working with them but if I (and I mean this as any taxidermist not just specifically me) are going to work on them I have to make money off of the project and between the tanning and labor cost that comes to the tune of about $9600 plus tax to mount a 12ft croc and that doesn’t include tax, shipping, etc…. The taxi’s in Africa will sell you a mine on how much cheaper it will be for them to do it. I can guarantee that the volumetric weight of shipping it from there to here and from a port of entry to your home will easily about double or more whatever they charge you for it and it will look like crap.
I only mention this so it does t come as a huge shock after the fact. I as well as many other taxidermists enjoy Working with them but there is a lot that goes with it as a whole. One needs to know and be prepared for it if they commit to hinting one.

These are very appropriate answers. I just got a 12 ft + croc with a handgun a few weeks ago, and had done a lot of research before I left. Very expensive to mount an dominates your trophy room. I also spoke to several taxidermist, and researched the boots thing etc. You really shouldn't make boots out of a big croc, the leather is too rough and hard to work, not flexible etc. I am having a rug made with an open mouth...it will be very big, but I have wanted to do a handgun safari since I was about 10, and finally did it. The croc shot is one of the most difficult, due to size of the vital area. With a handgun it was really tough, and the crock was in the water and NOT coming out.
IMG_9232.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg