What brand 375 H&H did Peter Capstick shoot?

Wiley64

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
I’ve read most of his works multiple times, but for the life of me I don’t remember or can’t find what brand/make of rifle he carried in 375 h&h magnum in his stories. Can anybody help?

thanks

He had one from Continental Arms NY, which I believe were built on FNs, and also a Musgrave from RSA. Not 100% sure which Mauser version they used. He also had a Pre-64 Model 70.

In one of his videos he was using and showed it in detail, a Holland & Holland bolt rifle.

Peter had a Brno zkk if memory serves… it was auctioned off as a fund raiser at SCI or DSC in the 1990’s he may have acquired another rifle latter on.

The Musgrave was acutioned.

And i do not think he owned an actual H&H. I believe the rifle in the Botswana Video is in fact the Continental Arms. It's the same on on the back of Peter Capstick's Africa, about the Lion hunt. That rifle had a Westley Richards style flip-back sight.

He did have a few and they were all ordinary “working grade” guns. I don’t think he ever had and M70 ‘s thought. Unlike Johnson and Manners from Moz.

He had a Mauser first of the Charles Daley/:Zastava action, but there is pictures of in a book with a M70 pte 64, later the fine Musgrave.

He had a Mauser first of the Charles Daley/:Zastava action, but there is pictures of in a book with a M70 pte 64, later the fine Musgrave.

Yes, there is also a short clip of him shooting one in the Botswana safari video.

Although he appreciated really fine rifles, I don’t think he ever made enough money to have any. In a way he was like Hemingway and Ruark. Mostly secondhand guns of good practical value.

I believe his Continental was an FN action, not a Zastava.

Thank you for the responses! I saw they auctioned his glock recently as well. What a neat deal.

From “ A Return To The Long Grass “ :
“ I carry a custom Mauser-action, Blin-dee-barreled, bolt-action .375 by the Continental Arms Corporation of New York . “

Mr. Capstick’s .375 Holland & Holland Magnum was built on a commercial Fabrique Nationale Mauser action ( pre 1962 control round feed variant with the bolt guide ) . He had the magazine floor plate permanently rendered inoperable , by having it screwed shut .

From “ A Return To The Long Grass “ :
“ I carry a custom Mauser-action, Blin-dee-barreled, bolt-action .375 by the Continental Arms Corporation of New York . “

Mr. Capstick’s .375 Holland & Holland Magnum was built on a commercial Fabrique Nationale Mauser action ( pre 1962 control round feed variant with the bolt guide ) . He had the magazine floor plate permanently rendered inoperable , by having it screwed shut .

Where did that last bit of info come from? Interesting.

Where did that last bit of info come from? Interesting.
@baxterb

There is ( or was ) an article available as a pdf on the internet , which detailed some of Mr. Capstick’s preferences in rifles . Let me see if I can find it . It also stresses the fallacies of double rifles which are chambered in rimmed calibres ( such as .458 Winchester Magnum ) .

"It also stresses the fallacies of double rifles which are chambered in rimmed calibres ( such as .458 Winchester Magnum ) ."
The last time I checked my Krieghoff O/U double rifle in .458 Winchester Magnum, it used rimless, belted cartridges. I used it reluctantly, because in 1970 when I ordered it, classic British double rifle cartridges were in very short supply and there was little prospect of their being manufactured again.
That said, it has never failed to extract and eject correctly.

"It also stresses the fallacies of double rifles which are chambered in rimmed calibres ( such as .458 Winchester Magnum ) ."
The last time I checked my Krieghoff O/U double rifle in .458 Winchester Magnum, it used rimless, belted cartridges. I used it reluctantly, because in 1970 when I ordered it, classic British double rifle cartridges were in very short supply and there was little prospect of their being manufactured again.
That said, it has never failed to extract and eject correctly.

When I went on my first African mixed bag safari to Kenya in 1974 , I saw the same thing as you did . My white hunters were complaining that .470 Nitro Express ammunition was no longer being made . I quickly found out why - Because ICI Kynoch had completely ceased manufacture of center fire rifle ammunition in 1972 . But I had absolutely no idea that British Nitro Express ammunition wasn’t even being produced in 1970 .

Every white hunter I saw in Kenya in 1974 , was either using a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum or a .458 Winchester Magnum ( mostly BRNO or BSA rifles ) .

@Hunter-Habib Just curious who you hunted with (and where) in Kenya in 1974? You snuck in just before they closed.
No problem , @baxterb . Out of all the questions my fellow hunting friends ask me , the second most popular one is “ How was Kenya during the good old days ? “ . My white hunter’s name was J. Cheffings and we hunted near Rift Valley . You can see some of my photos on my “ Media “ page .

When I went on my second Safari in 1978 , I was already told that hunting in Kenya got banned .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jostepan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois