What Areas Have You Hunted in South Africa?

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
What areas have you hunted in South Africa? What species did you take? How many days? If you have hunted in more than one area how did they compare? For those of you unfamiliar with South Africa you can use these hunting maps as reference.

South Africa Hunting Areas
hunting_south_africa.gif

South Africa Major Cities
south_africa_hunting.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
We hunted the Limpopo area for 10 days in Sept.2007 and had a blast.

I took Bushbuck, Impala, Duiker, 2 Steenbok and a few Porqupine.

I look forward to going back in 2009

JP.....I also hunted in the Limpopo. I have hunted there twice and taken kudu, impala, blesbok, and warthog.

Next time I want to head for the coast I think and concentrate strictly on getting a good bushbuck and nyala, perhaps waterbuck.

I have a farm in Limpopo, close to Naboomspruit, so i have hunted there many times. I have hunted so many different species there that i cant even list them all. I must say the trophy quality in the Limpopo is not as good as in other places, even though you do get good trophies. On myfarm i saw a 6-7 inch klipspringer, which could be the new WR, so there are some good trophies, but their frequency isn't as big as in other areas of africa.

P.S. unfortunately i have not been able to shoot the Klipspringer yet, but i will try for him as soon as i am back in SA.

I've been hunting in Limpopo and Eastern Cape. The trophies' quality are similar, however variety of the game in Eastern Cape makes this province more interesting, in my opinion.
Till now, in 4 African countries I've taken kudu, 2 oryx, waterbuck, hartebeest, some impalas, springboks, duikers, steenbuck, blessbuck, 4 warthogs, sable, zebra, blue wildebeest, Nyasaland gnu, mountain reedbuck, Cape bushbuck and 2 cape buffaloes. I am almost on my way to Zululand/Natal to complete my trophy list and I wonder what my experience will be out there.
Let me express my opinion, that farm hunting in Namibia & South Africa, if properly organized, with an effort put on proper hunt, without car shooting etc. may bring joy enough even for avid hunter. But still, it is going to be only a "preludium" to real, old fashioned safari. :)

I have hunted the Limpopo area 2 times have shot 2 impala, blesbuck, gemsbuck, kudu,warthog, and Blue Wildebeest. I hunted 10 days there on my 1st safari & 6 days on my 2nd safari with mo trophies on the 2nd one. I tried for a certain Waterbuck & a bushbuck with no success. We headed to the northern province outside of Douglas.
In 3 days I shot a Red Hartebeest , common, white & black Springbuck, Black Wildebeest and a Gemsbuck. I enjoyed both provinces and would do either of them again.
My 3rd Safari which I hope to be next year will probably be in the northern province or the cape. I have other animals I would like to add to my list! Each province holds there own beauty & different landscapes which I'm glad I've experienced.
It's Africa! it's the greatest place to hunt on Earth It has to be GOOD! Where ever you go!

Hello all, my first trip to Africa was to the Northern Cape near Douglas, had a great time with a great PH named Lieb Du Raan of Ingwe Safaris. This area is very good for kudu, impala, gemsboc, black and blue wildebeest, springboc, blesboc, and red hartebeest. The only drawback is that the kudu in this area are slightly smaller than some areas. They occasionally take a 50" + kudu but a good kudu for this area is anything over 45". My second trip was to the North West province between Vryburg and Tosca. Game was also abudant on this trip as well. Eland, zebra, wildebeest, and impala being the most abundant. We hunted a lot of free range farms on this hunt to thin warthogs and had a blast. My third trip was to Zululand near Pongola. I went late in the year because it was the only time I could get off from work but it was worth it. The green mountains in this area were beautiful. Game was plentiful with buffalo and nyala around every corner. I hunted with a PH named Brian Suddaby who was one of the most patient hunters I have ever been with. He got me in close to many buff before I found the one I wanted and never said a word when we had crawled for hours and I turned them down. His only stipulation was that it had to be an old bull that was no longer with the herd. There was something unique about each area that I have been to and I am glad that I went to a different area each time but if I go back to SA I will probably go back to Zululand.

My first trip was to Natal near Hluhluwe in 2000. I took Impala - 2, Blesbok, Nyala, Blue Wildebeest, Zebra, Warthog and Bushbuck. I have hunted the Eastern Cape and took, Blue Duiker, Steenbuck, Oribi, Cape Bushbuck, Cape Eland, Cape Kudu and Springhare. I have been back to Natal twice since then and am going back this fall. Year before last was a Common Reedbuck and last year Red Duiker and still trying for Suni to complete the tiny Ten. I have also hunted in the Limpopo area for Mt Reedbuck, Klippy and gid a green hunt on a Rhino which is a blast.

I enjoy the Limpopo the most. We have a Ranch there (Shi-Awela), so I'm somewhat partial to that area. I disagree with the assessment that the trophy quality is not as good there as in other areas. We have exceptional Kudu and Waterbuck that rival any in Africa. I have personally taken a 52" Kudu with lots of mass, in the Limpopo which I feel is a very respectable animal.

I have hunted most of South Africa and can book someone in most of the provences...I book a client mostly based on what animals he deems most important..

Keep in mind that you cannot get all the animals you want on one hunt as a rule so you may have to hunt different areas and even different countries to get all that Africa has to offer...

So depending on what animal or two that is most important to you should determine where you hunt..Off hand I would say that Ellisrous has perhaps the best Kudu (also Namibia)..The Eastern Cape for Gemsbok (also Namibia), The limpopo for waterbuck, Nyala and this is just a ball park suggestion and changes from year to year..Then also the species and subspecies such as the Eastern Cape Kudu is a different animal and usually smaller than the Greater Kudu of Northern RSA...

I guess what I am saying is these are the issues you need to discuss with your booking agent and he should have more than one option and know where to send you for the animals that top your list and can also arrange changes in location to find other species if need be...

With the high number of fenced ranches in RSA, it is very hard to say which is the best area, as it boils down to what place is the best managed..Most but not all of RSA is high fence hunting today.

First of all let me say that Ray is 100% right. I hunt in the Limpopo province of South Africa and there is nothing wrong with the trophy quality there the Kudu’s that we have in the Ellisras area’s cannot even be compared to the baby kudu’s they hunt in the Cape provinces but before I get to carried away lets look at the facts.

There are different species in different area’s just like in the US so if you are going to hunt Springbuck or Black Wildebeest yes the Freestate or Cape would be a better option, why because it’s their habitat. If you want the best Greater Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, Waterbuck, Warthog, Impala and Eland you go to the Limpopo province more specifically the Rooibokraal or Ellisras area’s because it is their habitat. Now due to trance locating of game that get move from one province to another and because of the change in their habitat they don’t do as well as they would in an area where they would be found naturally, and the trophy quality goes down the drain. So yes definitely the answer here is to get your priority animals on a list and then plan your hunt accordingly.

As for the statement that the trophy quality in Limpopo is poor, It’ absolute nonsense never heard of anything more ridicules in my life.

I've hunted Limpopo and was extremely please with the animals on my wish list. All met or exceeded my expectations. And that was bowhunting.

A hunting buddy and I hunted with Limcroma Safaris in the Limpopo area where the Crocodile River runs into the Limpopo and on the Botswana border. We hunted 10 days and took 16 "plains game" , all of which made the SCI minimum score. We also spent a day shooting birds (13 species) and had a great time. :)

A hunting buddy and I hunted with Limcroma Safaris in the Limpopo area where the Crocodile River runs into the Limpopo and on the Botswana border. We hunted 10 days and took 16 "plains game" , all of which made the SCI minimum score. We also spent a day shooting birds (13 species) and had a great time. :)
That is about 10 miles from my Game lodge so it proves my point thank you for supporting me on this one.

That is about 10 miles from my Game lodge so it proves my point thank you for supporting me on this one.

Louis;
I remember driving by Rooibokraal many times.
You must know Hannes Els if you live that close to his farm on the Crocodile. Small world, eh?
WRT the comment on poor game quality in the area, I must agree with you - "Ignorance is bliss".
Did you see the photo that I posted of Hannes 19.5 inch bushbuck taken on his own place? Not shabby at all.
crs

Hi there crs yes i know Hannes he is a good guy we have known the family for along time now. He has got a very nice place they also own that shop at Rooibokraal I am glad to hear your hunt there was so successful. It sure is a small world just shows you people from half the world away can find something in common. send me the photo I would love to have a peek hell of a bushbuck.

Hi there crs yes i know Hannes he is a good guy we have known the family for along time now. He has got a very nice place they also own that shop at Rooibokraal I am glad to hear your hunt there was so successful. It sure is a small world just shows you people from half the world away can find something in common. send me the photo I would love to have a peek hell of a bushbuck.

One big bushbuck coming up!

scan0004-1.jpg

Hannes and me with my little bushbuck shot on banks of Crocodile.

scan0001-3.jpg

Attachments

• scan0004-1.jpg
    scan0004-1.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 152
  • scan0001-3.jpg
    scan0001-3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 142
That thing is a beast. Great trophy!

In about 45 days I will be in RSA for my first hunt and can report back then. Will be in Northwest around Rustenburg for springbok and gemsbok. Then in Limpopo around Thabazimbi for kudu, impala. Would like to get 1 or 2 more animals from Limpopo.

Lord help no huge eland walks by. :)

Thabazimbi is a good area for Kudu good luck and hope you get a big one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg