What are you wearing for boots?

I have Courteney Safaris, the latest ones with the higher toe section, but it doesn't stop there. Straight to the podiatrist for a pair of custom inserts, she even designed a little raiser to relieve the arthritis in my left big toe joint. Add some thick bamboo socks and I am ready for a good day's trek.

Same exact as mine. Bottom line, short of a specialized safari, most of us "dudes" can use whatever boots we find comfortable for light hiking here at home.

1288323A-B33B-4D06-8A6B-0BB9E3E2583A.jpeg

Jim Green razorback .You have to wear them in really well ,built solid .I have put mine through hell ,really impressed

Howdy folks.

Just a question about footwear. I have a hunt booked in South Africa, taking place late December. It will be very hot, and of all my gear, I am most concerned with footwear.

Can anyone recommend a particular boot? I think something light, breathable, and water resistant. With good support of course.

I can forget a few items, I can bring a few wrong items, but if I bring the wrong boots, I may really regret it.

Any help would be appreciated. Also I am in Canada, and would like to try them on, so please recommend boots available in North America.

Regards
Ryan.

Oh, what about socks?
Well sir, what I've used on several hunts is the Courtney Selous. A bit pricey to be sure but worth every penney. All day comfy and will keep those Thors out of your feet. When I'm not hunting they are my every day foot wear. I also recommend a set of gaiters. will keep seeds and such from getting into your foot wear. Socks? Mid weight wool is the ticket. The low cut version as I hunt in shorts and anything taller tends to catch low thorn bush branches. Main thing is break them in BEFORE the hunt! The final choice is yours but your feet will let you know if that choice was the wrong one. Best of luck on your hunt.

Some older british mil. tropical boots..

If you are stalking and want to remain quiet... The Vibram Five Fingers
5 toes.jpg

If you don't have to be quiet, then I recommend the Kenetrek "Safari" boot. I have two different pairs of Kenetrek's and absolutely love them.
kenetrek-hk-safari-30803279380662.jpg

What rifle is that Tom?

Hi, Kevin--that's my 1925 H&H single-shot (Webley action) in .375 Flanged Magnum. It will accompany me again to ZA this coming June, together with an 1896 Watson Brothers Martini in .303.

Combat boots I kept from Mob. Comfy after so many miles marched, waterproof, and have always worked. Aggressive tread not as quiet as specific safari boots but I use here in BC for spring bear so multi purpose fits budget.

MB

I’ve been rocking this same pair of boots made by the Tarzan boot company in South Africa since 2003. Very inexpensive. Super quiet for stalking. High enough so you don’t need gaiters. Well made. I don’t think they are sold outside of RSA. View attachment 466329
Shorter version of the Waxie combat boot....

When i hunted Namibia & for any hot weather, stalking hunts in the US (South Texas hogs) I wear a pair of these Roamers Ghillie boots. They're dirty-dirt cheap (+/-$50 shipped from the UK on eBay) incredibly comfortable & flexible & very quiet. I wear them with Smartwool socks in spring & early fall & I go sockless during the hotter months.
Screenshot_20221019-111034_eBay.jpg

My other choice (i can't say second, it's 50/50) is basic, old fashioned Converse High Tops, no socks.
I have terrible arthritis in my left ankle & can kill a left boot in about 100 miles. A very flat, featureless sole just works better for my hooves & these 2 options are brilliant in all but the coldest or wettest weather.

Howdy folks.

Just a question about footwear. I have a hunt booked in South Africa, taking place late December. It will be very hot, and of all my gear, I am most concerned with footwear.

Can anyone recommend a particular boot? I think something light, breathable, and water resistant. With good support of course.

I can forget a few items, I can bring a few wrong items, but if I bring the wrong boots, I may really regret it.

Any help would be appreciated. Also I am in Canada, and would like to try them on, so please recommend boots available in North America.

Regards
Ryan.

Oh, what about socks?
Forget the water resistance for SA--it will only be hotter, heavier and more expensive.

For those that need the ultimate in cushioning (heel spurs, etc) you will either love Hoka hiking boots or hate the sometimes weird colors they come in. But the softest, for sure and lightweight.

I wear Salomon Quest 4d GTX. Great boot and Salomon customer service is second to none. I had a pair that needed to be warrantied due to water seepage. Salomon let me kept the boots Which were fairly new and sent me a new pair for free after sending them only a few photos. I put in many miles in the western Oregon timber and they hold up well. You can get them for under $200 if you look around and aren’t picky about color.

Lowa Renegades. Currently about to enjoy their tenth outing to Africa.

FN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg