huntinlabs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Me and my wife are at the final stages in planning our hunt before sending a deposit. We are going for impala blesbuck porcupine jackal and she wants a blue wildebeest. So here is the dilemma the package I have is for 2 blues but I can trade one for a zebra or I was going to see about trading it for a black. What would you do knowing your wife is taking the blue wildebeest would you take the black or the zebra?

Do you have a zebra yet? If not, nothing says Africa more than a zebra rug / flat skin.

I don't have any thing yet since this will be our first safari. I am not a huge fan of rugs plus I have 2 very young kids and dogs. so what I take will be shoulder mounted more than likely

You can also do a flat skin, black leather back with rings and hang it on the wall. That's what we plan to do with ours when it gets back because we have a cat that likes to give us presents of hair balls all over the house!

I thought about that as well. I know we plan on doing flat skins with the jackals for sure or head in rugs one of the two

Black wildebeest are awesome. I personally like them better than blue. And Zebra rugs/flat skins are really cool too. But, if you are going to do shoulder mount , between the two I would go with the black wildebeest over a zebra. Just my 2c....

that's what I was thinking but one of the guys was like man the zebra would be a huge eye catcher for people.. so now it has me going back and forth. I like the idea of the black because it has horns and I think zebras shine for rugs...

When you look at the price of the trip as a whole and how much expense there is in just getting there, etc., I would just opt for taking the deal and adding the black and the zebra too.
Work some extra, cut back here or there, or sell some blood if you have to.
In my experience, after 2 trips, I've not been disappointed with the extra animals I've taken, but I have been disappointed about the animals I've passed on that I wanted.

Tough choice for your first safari, I like them all. Depends what you want, what looks the best to you. Which one speaks to you more? A zebra flatskin rug is cool, a blue rug is cool, a blue or black shoulder mount ins cool. Bottom line, this is a good problem to have! Best of luck!

I have NO African experience to support this, it's just my take. For me it's a simple question. Who are you taking this trophy for: Yourself or others?

There's no right or wrong answer. But your initial idea of the Black would be a nice compliment to you wife's Blue. LOL, you're a lucky man to have such a dilemma.

Whichever you choose, Good Luck.

Black wildebeest are awesome. I personally like them better than blue. And Zebra rugs/flat skins are really cool too. But, if you are going to do shoulder mount , between the two I would go with the black wildebeest over a zebra. Just my 2c....
Completely AGREE. Blacks are awesome.

When you look at the price of the trip as a whole and how much expense there is in just getting there, etc., I would just opt for taking the deal and adding the black and the zebra too.
In my experience, after 2 trips, I've not been disappointed with the extra animals I've taken, but I have been disappointed about the animals I've passed on that I wanted.
THIS was my thought too. OR see what Africa provides if the budget is really firm/tight. Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:
Decide when you get there. Your opinion may very well change once you see everything live. You might even end up with something you haven't even considered.

working extra does nothing for me. I am in the military and cant make any more other than if I make rank lol. Also I am cutting back more and the reason is so I can bring my two kids along. they aren't old enough to hunt over there yet but they love hunting our animals over here with me so I am going to give them the chance to do it over there with me. The memories we will make over there far outweighs not taking them so I can get both animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can trade for the zebra get it!! They cost more than a wildebeest and are a great mount or prefer flatskin on the wall. If you go the mount route keep the back skin also. You can have something made with it(purse, gun case etc) or put it up against the wall or drape it over the back of a chair/couch.

Then I would just buy the Black Wildebeest.
I am getting the Zebra and a Black Wildebeest on my next trip to go with my Blue and the Zebra my daughter got last trip. She took hers to her new home so I need one.

If you can trade for the zebra get it!! They cost more than a wildebeest and are a great mount or prefer flatskin on the wall. If you go the mount route keep the back skin also. You can have something made with it(purse, gun case etc) or put it up against the wall or drape it over the back of a chair/couch.

Then I would just buy the Black Wildebeest.
I am getting the Zebra and a Black Wildebeest on my next trip to go with my Blue and the Zebra my daughter got last trip. She took hers to her new home so I need one.

Its not just trading for it straight up it is costing me more money for it as well.

OK ---Then do what is best money wise and just buy the other animal. You will not regret it but you will if you only take the one.

You might want to add a day and also add a Waterbuck :)

.............. the Black would be a nice compliment to you wife's Blue. .................

That's the answer.

Then just take the Zebra because you have zero self control when you are out hunting.
Problem solved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross