What animal do you fear most? And why?

I had a bad experience with a mamba in the kitchen a number of years ago. Scared the crap out of me once I figured out why the line between the cupboards and the wall was moving!

Black mamba......bad boy.....

I remember being in a camp at brunch time shots started ringing out....in camp....we all rushed over and found a young camp manager firing away at a bkack mamaba in a communal toilet with basin in the general entertainment area....the mamba eventually succumbed to multiple 12ga shotgun shots but so did the toilet and basin all shot to sh.t....it was a real mess.....

I think we need to dedicate one special thread only about incidents, and sorting them out with mambas, and other snakes.
I am under impression, that it is not unusual that a snake wanders into the camp facilities.

First "animal " I fear is a supervisor/manager/authority who wants to make a name for themselves. If one of these beasties is on the hunt you are in trouble. Be very afraid.

Second is a preschooler doing that "I gotta pee" dance. Again be afraid.

Critters make me nervous but rarely do they stress me out like a toxic boss. A half potty trained toddler will make me run just as fast as any snake.

I have a healthy respect for grizzly bears. Sure most of the time they will leave you alone, but in this province every year there are several deaths attributed to grizzlies. Often it involves hunters who are armed and ready. They usually say (those that survive) the bear was on them before they could do anything. With the restriction on hunting them now, they are loosing their respect for man.
Say what you will about sleeping with a rifle, but if a bear were to actually come through the tent to get at you, the chances of actually deploying it are very slim. Same thing goes for spray.

To quote Nietzsche, " in revenge and in love, women is more barbarous than men"
Friedrich Nietzsche had considerable problems with the ladies throughout his life. He is certainly not a yardstick;)

Friends had rented accommodation in Ethosha NP.
When inspecting the rooms, a big puff adder lay in the shower area.
When one arrived with a manager to eliminate the snake ,it was already gone.No one knew where it was.
The family spent the night in the car.
One can understand.
Or would you have spent the night there ?

Last edited:
Say what you will about sleeping with a rifle, but if a bear were to actually come through the tent to get at you, the chances of actually deploying it are very slim. Same thing goes for spray.

When I was up in BC hunting a grizzly my guide packed a 44 magnum strapped to his chest in a holster. I asked him what he planned on doing with it if a grizzly attacked? He said that he was going to stick the barrel into the grizzly's mouth and pull the trigger 6 times.

Probably has to be something I’m exposed to more than something in a bad dream. So probably brown recluse, cottonmouth, copperhead or rattler. Those are all well within my hood, and could hit me without knowing until after the fact most likely. Then it would be bad.

When I was up in BC hunting a grizzly my guide packed a 44 magnum strapped to his chest in a holster. I asked him what he planned on doing with it if a grizzly attacked? He said that he was going to stick the barrel into the grizzly's mouth and pull the trigger 6 times.
Don't know how he got away with that being a guide is not a good enough reason to get an ATC(carry permit) unfortunately bush pilots and loggers can get them though

Don't know how he got away with that being a guide is not a good enough reason to get an ATC(carry permit) unfortunately bush pilots and loggers can get them though

He was also a logger during the off season and a number of other things. The others that were with us had no firearms except for a Marlin 444 at the cabin. But we were also 23 miles back into a wilderness area so who knows?

I was hunting Nilgai in South Texas a few years back. It was one of those areas where you give yourself a once over after each hunt to make sure no ticks are stuck to you. Sitting in my chair one morning and swore I felt something on my upper leg...paid it no mind...a few minutes later I feel a sight twinge of pain on the end of my "manhood". I jump up, yank everything covering my lower body down, and a tick is trying to enter the exit hole. I squeeze as hard as I can with one hand to keep him from going in and pinch the tick off with the other.

I probably looked like some type of perv with an outdoor fetish, and it is funny to think about now, but I was terrified for a moment.
That is the scariest hunting story ever!

From inside the bear? Or was he hoping from the outside. :LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg