What ammo is best to forget?

dmyers

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia, Canada,
OK, your bag with your ammo didn't make it to Africa. Other than 375 H&H ammo, which seems to be in every camp, what would be most available to borrow/buy? 3006? 308? 270? 300 win mag (which I have heard is popular with PH's in many areas)? Something else? So what plains game caliber would be easiest to feed in Africa if you get in a pinch?

Don't know for sure, but I'd bet on .30-06.....but I'm a lousy gambler.

All you listed might be ok, but 30-06 and 300 win mag I would think are second and third behind 375 H&H.

Agreed, 30.06 or .300 would be the best and probably easy to find, plus all around great guns for most critters

I rate 30-06 or 308 in Africa. Most hunters in have either of those in their safe and almost every hunting shop you will find ammo for both of them. The 300 is popular but nothing compared to the other two in my opinion.

It probably also depends where in Africa. SA, no big deal...

On a buffalo hunt in Zimbabwean wilderness I wouldn't want to bet on anything other than .375.

Without ever having been to Africa on safari, I can tell you it will be the 30-06 cartridge.

Reactions: ack
The central question about the airlines losing your ammunition is asked in various forms on various forums, so this response is not directly to OP ... especially as he is a new member ... but this seems to be WAAAAAAYYYYYYY over discussed in the entire hunting industry.

The PH/outfitter will have a gun that he rents or loans and will have ammo that works in the gun ... that is already sighted in ... with the appropriate high quality bullets that are more than sufficient for the game that he/she hunts. So, I wouldn't worry about guessing which caliber to buy/bring on the off chance of lost luggage. I would assume that the PH has done this before and has me covered.

The central question about the airlines losing your ammunition is asked in various forms on various forums, so this response is not directly to OP ... especially as he is a new member ... but this seems to be WAAAAAAYYYYYYY over discussed in the entire hunting industry.

The PH/outfitter will have a gun that he rents or loans and will have ammo that works in the gun ... that is already sighted in ... with the appropriate high quality bullets that are more than sufficient for the game that he/she hunts. So, I wouldn't worry about guessing which caliber to buy/bring on the off chance of lost luggage. I would assume that the PH has done this before and has me covered.

Honestly, this nails it and is 100% spot on.

way more fun to over discuss though. :E Big Grin:

I not so sure its over discussed. Most discussions I've seen talk too much about hitting power, and bullet weight. But these are moot points if you are out of ammo. Is the 06 the most common cal. in Africa (everywhere) after the 375? One of the reasons I shoot a 3006, 308 at home is I can get ammo anywhere. But I keep hearing that 300 win mag is a really popular round with many PH's. So having a plains game rifle in a common cal. for hunting from Namibia to Mozambique seems smart. I have run out of ammo before due to dropping in bush, sighting in issues, etc. and it would seem smart to have a caliber that it likely hiding out in the PH's tent no mater where you are hunting. 3006 seems like the general second most common after the 375 here.

not so sure its over discussed

Not to speak for @Scott Slough but I believe what is meant is that the odds of this happening is relatively low and other options (a loaner rifle) are available.

I just semi-retired my 06 (I'm a lefty and it is right handed) that I've used since I was 15 and replaced it with a .300 wsm as my light rifle. For me personally, the thought of ammunition outages never entered the thought process for what rifle to get, although many other factors did.

Still a fun topic though.

I know that when I headed over to South Africa last May I pondered the what if my rifle or suitcase with the ammo didn't show up. I had a change of clothes in by carry on and I was wearing my hunting boots. I figured that if the airline lost either my rifle case or my suit case then I would just use the outfitters rifle for my hunt.

On all my hunting trips that i've been(from 3 to 12 hunters) there is always a .270, .308win and a 30-06 in the group. After that the .375 and .303 is the most popular from my experience

Ammo being "lost " by the airways is one issue... dropping/ losing ammo in the bush and over using to zero in the scope is another entirely. In the second instance, make sure that you take ENOUGH ammo to cover for any such eventualities... you can always take the excess not used back home with you!

Two points to be made. First, the answer to this depends to a very large extent on where you are going. If you are in South Africa, there are usually stores nearby which can supply most of the common calibers, and some uncommon ones from time to time. You might not get a brand you recognize, you might not get the bullet weight you'd prefer, and you'll surely pay a whole lot more than you would in North America, but you will find a pretty good selection not too far away. If you are going to Cameroon, and Air France loses your ammo (as it did to me), they you're pretty limited in what you can get. Thankfully, I had a .375 H&H, and again, thankfully (sort of) you don't usually get to shoot a lot in the Cameroon jungle (three shots in 14 days!), so the half dozen bullets we were able to scrounge up more than did the trick.

Second point, and back to the original question. I think most of us know what common calibers are, and which ones are more arcane. Personally, I use a ,300 Win Mag for plains game, and I never ever worry about not being able to find ammo. For bigger game I use either a .375 H&H, a .404 Jeffery or a .416 Rigby. I don't ever worry about the first, and worry more about the latter two.

When I go to Africa, I'm not going to Africa, I'm going to hunt with a particular known PH. I happen to know he has 308 and 243 ammo. I also know I've left some 3-06 behind although whether any is left I don't know. But I could know with a single email. What is most common in Africa or even in a particular county I don't know (although my money would be on 375 and 308 if I had to make a bet, not counting 7.62x39). If it is a concern, your PH can tell you what he has around. And if push comes to shove, he probably has ammo for whatever rifles he has.

Reactions: lcq
I always have heard that the most commonly used round in Africa was the 7.62x39 and that more game big and small, more people good and bad have been taken with it than all others. If this is the case, you should have no trouble finding ammo for it even in the most remote corners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!