kowasadventure.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
NAPHA, DSC, SCI
Hunted
NAMIBIA and ZIMBABWE and SOUTH AFRICA
After a safari in Africa, what about Africa do you miss the most?

The sounds, the sunsets, being in the bush and not knowing what you may see around the next corner!
I just miss hunting nonstop for 7-14 days in the continent that stole my heart!

I also miss the campfires, camaraderie, and the millions of stars you can see at night!

@reedy0312. Everything he said plus the fact there there is no need for a watch except on the first and last day. You take each day as the bush and the celestial bodies dictate, nothing else.

The campfire is also something I miss. For as long as I can remember my whole family has shared a hunting camp where the fire is the centerpiece for everything. Trading stories, friendly ribbing, and so much more. The same holds true in Africa.

Last edited:
Knowing that when you wake up in the morning you are going to spend the day with an incredibly talented hunter, and his team, doing exactly what you dreamed you wanted to do.

There are too many things to list that I miss...but here are a few.

1. When in Africa I turn my cell phone OFF, unless I want to make a call. I do not check email or texts either. I miss being able to completely ignore that thing.

2. I do wear a watch while there...Other than being up and ready to go in the morning on time, I really don't care what time it is. I miss that feeling when leave.

3. As others have stated...I miss the campfire in the evening and the time spent around it discussing the days adventures with good company.

4. I miss the politeness of the people I have been exposed to while in Africa.

5. I miss seeing the foreign geography and the diversity of the game, hearing the sounds in the field, and also the quiet in the early mornings.

6. Probably one of the biggest things I miss is being able to completely unplug from everything going on 8500 miles away and really enjoy my time there. IMHO that is the most important aspect and key to a really good trip. You have to go with the attitude that you are going to leave everything behind and enjoy your time there and relax and take things as they come.

My 2 cents.

Plain and simple; the whole African experience.

You can't explain it to anyone you just have to live it.

I miss being around kindred souls who love guns, hunting, animals, shooting and the thrill of the hunt.

On a lighter note, I miss turning the steering wheel ninety degrees before the front wheels begin to turn on the the bakkie I get to use for the short trip from the camp up to the main house. :A Drive: That and putting air in the tire every morning. :A Banana:

The evening fires and sundowners!

1. Hands down, #1, no doubt, for sure, THE PEOPLE (languages, history, stories, generosity, welcoming attitude, etc.)
2. The variety of animals to be hunted and just plain seen.
3. The variety and volume of bird life.
4. The air.
5. The silence.
6. Gemsbok roast and Kudu steak.
I had better stop now.

Seems like all of you are suffering seriously from the Africa bug bite.

When I'm away from Africa I miss the braai, the lack of sounds at night when the sun sets and the wind stops blowing.
The smell of the Fynbos, the smell in the air from the fires, the abundant sounds of the birds in the morning as the sun rises.

I could go on and on, but I believe it would be best to quote the below:

"Once you have had Africa's red soil on your feet, it will forever stay in your blood"- Gustavius Tragelaphus Rex

//Gus

Thank you for taking the time to respond to this thread. Keep the comments coming in. It is a priviledge to share our African part of the world, with others...
We see our every day life in Africa, through the eyes of others.
Waiting for more remarks / comments.

The people.
The bush.
The game.
A Castle at the fire pit........

Not necessarily in this order:
1) The people. Namibians in general but especially Roy, Janet and Kobus of Otjandaue
2) The smell of the bush
3) The sunrises and sunsets
4) The braii
5) The night sky
6) The hunt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg