Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Zimbabwe and Namibia
As great of round as the .375 H&H is, I’ve always thought the .375 Wby might be an even better choice. Same bullets. Due to it’s 100+ fps advantage, a slightly flatter trajectory and a little more energy. Couple those advantages with the ability to fire H&H ammo if needed, it sounds like it might be a great option.
I know a few of you have experience with this round so my questions are as follows:
Is your rifle a Weatherby or other rifle originally chambered for the .375 Wby? If not, did you simply rechamber a H&H or rebarrel a rifle to it? Who did the work?
Lastly, if you had to do it over again, would you stick with the H&H or go with the Wby?

I have one and like it a lot. I get an easy 2700 fps with 300g A-Frames. Recoil is a bit snappier than when shooting factory 375 H&H ammo through the same rifle. Of course the Rem XCR II only weighs 7 1/2 lbs with scope and rings, unloaded.

usomoEO.jpg

Works too!

Jmbotrd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Pre 64 M70 that one of the first rifles that weatherby used to rechamber from a 375 H&H. I got it in a trade and so far it has shot extremely well. It is the only Weatherby round I like, would I take a new 375 and have it rechambered? Probably not. as with the modern scopes and bullets a standard 375 H&H will really take care of anything you would plan on shooting.

I have had clients bring both the Weatherby and the Holland & Holland magnum calibre to India , for shikar .
I personally much prefer the traditional .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre over the .375 ( Or .378 ) Weatherby calibre . I personally do not believe that a dangerous game calibre should have a velocity , exceeding 2350 - 2400 feet per second .

I have a Pre 64 M70 that one of the first rifles that weatherby used to rechamber from a 375 H&H. I got it in a trade and so far it has shot extremely well. It is the only Weatherby round I like, would I take a new 375 and have it rechambered? Probably not. as with the modern scopes and bullets a standard 375 H&H will really take care of anything you would plan on shooting.

Exactly!!!

As great of round as the .375 H&H is, I’ve always thought the .375 Wby might be an even better choice. Same bullets. Due to it’s 100+ fps advantage, a slightly flatter trajectory and a little more energy. Couple those advantages with the ability to fire H&H ammo if needed, it sounds like it might be a great option.
I know a few of you have experience with this round so my questions are as follows:
Is your rifle a Weatherby or other rifle originally chambered for the .375 Wby? If not, did you simply rechamber a H&H or rebarrel a rifle to it? Who did the work?
Lastly, if you had to do it over again, would you stick with the H&H or go with the Wby?

I feel like guns are like women (or men), it doesn't matter what everyone else wants or says, it's about your own preferences. Here in SA there's a bullet manufacturer who makes 400gr .375 projectiles (flat base). I'd imagine that the weatherby or AI would allow you to get that projectile up to around 2300ft/s, which puts you into 416 Rigby territory (410gr at around 2300ft/s).

I'm no expert on gunsmithing or firearm cosmetics, but assuming the firearm shoots straight, feeds reliably and fits you, I don't see a down side. The best gun is the one that works and fits you.

@Alexandro Faria I ran the 400gr at 2300 in a rifle barrel twist calculator and made a guess on what I thing a 400 gr .375 bullet lenght would be and came up with it needing a 1 in 8in twist rate to stabilize such a long bullet. You would have to build a rifle specific for that longer heavier bullet

@Alexandro Faria I ran the 400gr at 2300 in a rifle barrel twist calculator and made a guess on what I thing a 400 gr .375 bullet lenght would be and came up with it needing a 1 in 8in twist rate to stabilize such a long bullet. You would have to build a rifle specific for that longer heavier bullet

If I recall correctly, someone said they got it to group fine in a 1:10?? In all honesty, I can't remember who this was or even if it was 1:10, so not particularly reliable. That being said, it's probably worth building a custom FA to utilize these missiles, if one is going to use it regularly.

I bought a sako in .375 wby mag. I’ve just this year bought scopes for it and been doing load work up for it recently with perfect Spring weather. I’ll post some of the bullet tests when I get home from work.
Couple things to keep in mind-power comes with a cost-recoil is recoil and I tolerate it well. If you are only firing one or two shots do you really fear the extra recoil of the wby or the h & h? I don’t, some guys would. I want to get a custom wood stock made and would have a mercury recoil reducer installed. I don’t use a muzzle break as it is murder to your ph and trackers’ ears.
Just because the loading manual says you can load to max doesnt mean your particular rifle can do it ACCURATELY.
Reloading materials especially dies And correctly head stamped brass are harder to come by than the much more popular h & h materials. Reloading info is harder to come by as well. Cost about the same tho-
No you don’t need the wby over the h & h but I don’t need a .270 and a .30-06 and I still own and use both.
I like my .375 and don’t regret buying it, would do it again but could love a .375 h & h Just the same .

Some need to remember that the 375 Weatherby and the 378 are two different cartridges with the 378 being quite a bit more powerful.

The 375 Weatherby is just the 375H&H with a brown out shoulder where you can shoot 375H&H ammo in the 375 Weatherby

Sounds like a waste of time and money for negligible gain and problems finding components. 375HH will handle anything on earth and is universally available.

Back in the 1980’s I had a .378 Wby and it was just too brutal. Due to the velocity of it’s recoil, it just didn’t pound you, it snapped you too. Even Loading down and knocking a 100 fps off the velocity didn’t seem to matter.
The reason I was / am considering the .375 Wby to to flatten out the trajectory with 300 gr bullets. I know I could just reduce bullet weight in a H&H but just wanted to stick with the one 300 gr @~2700 fps for everything.

The difference between the 375 H&H and 375 Weatherby (not the 378 Weatherby, that things a beast!) is about the same as the difference between a 30-06 and a 300 Win Mag. Some people see no reason for the 300 Win Mag either. The only question is do you want to shoot a little flatter and hit a bit harder down range, and is it worth the price in recoil?

How does the .375 Weatherby compare to the .375 Ackley Improved? I guess either way you can fire form a standard H and H into the Weatherby or AI? Interesting?

Back in the 1980’s I had a .378 Wby and it was just too brutal. Due to the velocity of it’s recoil, it just didn’t pound you, it snapped you too. Even Loading down and knocking a 100 fps off the velocity didn’t seem to matter.
The reason I was / am considering the .375 Wby to to flatten out the trajectory with 300 gr bullets. I know I could just reduce bullet weight in a H&H but just wanted to stick with the one 300 gr @~2700 fps for everything.
200 FPS, if you can wring it out of the Wby is a somewhat meaningful difference. On a mountain in British Columbia or somewhere in central Asia, in a mid-range caliber - such a difference theoretically could make the difference in fulfilling a successful hunt rather than experiencing a tourist expedition. I think that is why the fast thirties have such a strong following (of which I am one). In Africa, on the other hand, I have never faced a shot opportunity with a .375 H&H that I would have taken with the Wby that I wasn't already willing to take or pass on with the H&H. I just don't think that environment really exploits that 200 fps. The good news is, if you want to use it or have one built, have at it. There is no meaningful downside either.

I think the world of the 375 H&H, but the 375 Weatherby, in my mind, fills the need for a flat shooting hard hitting cartridge for North America as well. It shoots as flat as a 338 Win Mag, and hits harder. You can hunt sheep with it in a 7 1/2 lb rifle and if you run into a grizzly, you're prepared.

Incidentally I bought mine from a guy in Alaska. . . One scope for 300 grain AFrames and the other for 235 gr woodleigh ppsn shown below fully mushroomed. I load my own, this one with Norma 202 and get 2950 FPS ish. Also a 100 yard target with my best group-Still room to shoot faster but The groups quickly scatter and I prefer accuracy to speed. This would seem to be a grand elk rifle/load combo.
95C6B1E5-235D-413D-8E2D-C0A9AC284B9A.jpeg
6B116028-E8C3-45E6-B45C-21A8677FFF3E.jpeg

60F3F480-A295-45A3-8722-0CD7DC68F07F.jpeg
Quick detach rings so I can swap scopes mid stream. Have been playing with this system and much to talley’s credit I have had excellent success, blowing milk jugs full of water Back to Mother Earth from fifty to 300 yards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg