What a Sako worth

Jeff P

AH member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
My brother has a old Sako Finnbesr 375 H&H. I don't think it has ever been fired.i have not seen it in years. I've told him several times I wanted to buy it. He said today he was going to sell it to me. Now we have it figure out what it's worth. Any ideas??

Once you find out me his email address and I'll make a bid! :)

There are some knowledgable gun nuts on here that should help you.
Not my forte.

Sorry I can's give you a strright forward answer but it really depends on a couple of things.

First and foremost is it's condition. It may very be unfired but get a good look at the stock and blue condition. I've seen unfired guns badly banged up.

Secondly, with sako rifles it depends on the improter. There were a few different importers for sakos and that's really where the value comes in. The Sakos which fetch the most are pre-Garcia Sakos. These are known to be the best...from early 70s and prior. Garica and Stoeger imports generally don't fetch as much and there quality is not know to be as good. A garcia import should be stamped as such somehwere on the barrel. I'm not sure if Stoeger imports where stamped. But, you should be able to google this and find a ton of info. Hope this helps.

Thanks that helps. I'll have to take a look. I'm thinking it is from the early 70's. I'm sure it will be in perfect condition. He has over 100 guns. Most new in the box, and stored in perfect conditions. After 60 years of buying and not shooting hardly any of them. He has decided to sell most of them. When I get more info on this one ill repost this. We need a price fair for both of us.

Right now there is a Sako L61R Finnbear in .375 H&H Magnum with a 24" barrel Garcia import for $1000.00 on Gunbroker. There is also a Sako 85 90th Anniversary # 5 of 90 375 H&H Retail $40,000. Guess we need some more info.... Quite a range in price, don't want you or your brother to get screwed. Keep us posted, I will help any way I can.

Right now there is a Sako L61R Finnbear in .375 H&H Magnum with a 24" barrel Garcia import for $1000.00 on Gunbroker. There is also a Sako 85 90th Anniversary # 5 of 90 375 H&H Retail $40,000. Guess we need some more info.... Quite a range in price, don't want you or your brother to get screwed. Keep us posted, I will help any way I can.
Yes 35, but one is essentially a custom gun. It's like comparing a standard Winchester to a Rigby...big difference.

Jeff...I forgot to mention that caliber can also play a role in price. Generally magnum calibers fetch more money. If it's mint and had the box, and you loved it, and it was a magnum caliber, and it's a pre-Garcia, then I'm going to say about $1,500. But since your'e brothers maybe a grand, and if you're really close brothers maybe he'll just give it to you :D.

Try and get the exact model, determine if it's a pre garcia, and check gun broker, gunsinternational, and the Cabelas gun library for pricing.

Google Sako Collectors Forum, there's a ton of information there. I have 4 sakos and love them all, value? To me priceless, but they're MY guns.

Good information about the importers and "collector's value". I have pre-garcia, garcia and Stoegar, the difference is mainly inthe bolt, but 3 of mine have been customized.

I have a L61R in .338WM, great gun !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg