What’s your beater rifle?

Tanks

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Blaser R8 Professional. Synthetic stock, indestructible finish on the metal, and any caliber I choose.
That was one of the reasons I chose the R8 in .300 RUM for my PG rifle. It gets bloodied in a month or so in Africa and Argentina next April. Just got in a few hundred Hornady 200 grain ELD-X bullets in case I use up my Accubonds this year.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
There can be different definitions of "beater." Mine is a rifle that I am unafraid to take out in any environment or any weather. A R8 with synthetic stock fits that definition to perfection.

I have used the 200 gr ELD-X in my R8 in .300 Win Mag on a couple of Nilgai. They are analogous to wildebeest and zebra in size and toughness, and the ELD-X performed flawlessly.

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
Blaser R8 Professional synthetic stock in 375H&H, scoped with a Swaro Z8i 1-8x24. It's the only centerfire rifle I have and an argument can be made for not needing much else.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Blaser R8 Professional synthetic stock in 375H&H, scoped with a Swaro Z8i 1-8x24. It's the only centerfire rifle I have and an argument can be made for not needing much else.
Let’s not get too carried away! ;)

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland

Now that’s just crazy talk. We may have to conduct an intervention before you jettison the contents of your gun safe!

Bob Nelson 35Whelen

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
@BeeMaa
On my income if'n I bought an R8 and a swaro scope it would be my excuse for not needing much else because it would be all I could afford. Hell on my income after buying it I would have to then save up for the ammo so I could use it.
What I need and use is a beer priced rifle for a beer sized income like my Savage/ Stevens Whelen.
Don't get me wrong I don't begrudge R8 owners the rifles it just that I have to get what I can afford to do the job.
Bob

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen - I get what you are saying. What we have done is consolidate to what we really need with a focus on quality over quantity. Our "beater" firearms are the same as our beautiful firearms...wood and synthetic alike get used for hunting like any other firearm.

@WAB & @Red Leg - Truth be told, if a standard contour 300WM barrel were to fall into my lap...I wouldn't complain.

meigsbucks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Zimbabwe and Namibia
I use all my rifles. None are “beaters” per say, but if they get scratched or dinged, I consider It a badge of honor. I tend to hold on to rifles, some of which I acquired when I was young.
Two of those are Remington 788’s, a .22/250 and 7mm-08. When I first acquired the .22/250, it gave one hole accuracy and accounted for a lot of groundhogs. It has “deteriorated” to about a .5-.6“ shooter. The 7mm-08 is my go to moderate range deer rifle. I was probably one of the first people in the state to have one. Still shoots sub inch.
I also have a Ruger 77 with tang safety in .338 Win mag. That rifle has been thru hell and back. Slid down mountains with me… several times. Kicked by a horse and in general been used and abused. It originally wore a wood stock but was soon replaced with a Ram-Lime drop in that was tough as nails. It did have one drawback: the buttstock was hollow and was a sound chamber I couldn’t get silenced. I eventually replaced it with a B&C stock. It originally wore a 4x Leupold, but has worn the same 2-7x Leupold VXll since the mid 1980’s. It too, looks like it’s been thru a war, but still Holds zero.
There is also a Savage 110 .270, but that is a story in itself and needs to be told over a beer.

RTG

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF, NSSF, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Estonia, Zimbabwe, USA: AZ, ND, SD, WY
Keep that argument away from our wives.

Great choice in cartridge/rifle/optic. Sounds like mine but I went with the hole in the stock.
blaser.jpg

Forrest Halley

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
It's possible I already answered on this one. I don't remember.

I don't own any safe queens. I use and shoot everything. To me a safe queen is a monarch who owns a lot of locking containers. My guns were meant to shoot. I do my very best to care for them, and the specific situation might make me choose one over another. But I *think* of all of them as everyday guns, all being options to whatever task is needed. My Marlin XLR/.338 Marlin Express is my go-to rifle. I use it more than any other just because I have such confidence in it. Stainless, and with a laminated stock... I almost never give it a second thought in the field irrespective of the conditions, so maybe it's my "beater" rifle.
You did. I remember the don't own any safe queens line. :A Tease: Neat rifle and interesting twist on beater.
At least it's not an R8. :E Strong:
I'd say my 300 BLK is my beater, because apparently beater is an EDC type of thing where we just reach for it, it gets used, and we give no second thought. It's just set up for round the clock usage and it goes Pfft! when I need it to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OHhuntr

Latest profile posts

TheSayHeyKid wrote on shark_za's profile.
I have a pile of never fired .35 Rem brass if you are interested. What quantity are you looking for?

Billy
GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS wrote on Robharris's profile.
Hi Rob

Trust you are well,
It would be great if I could quote on a safari for you guys.

Please let me know if you are intereted to hunt with Game 4 Africa Safaris. We have many reviews and hunting reports on this forum if you would like to check us out.

Please let me know if you have any questions for me. We are based in the Eastern Cape of South Africa.

Kind Regards
Wik Coetzee
Game 4 Africa Safaris
hunt 65 wrote on cal pappas's profile.
Hey Cal. Would you consider $950 for the Win. Thanks.
Safari Dave wrote on Dhunt713's profile.
For me, last August, the people in the JNB wanted to see a paper document.
What covid passport app is best to use? U.s.a to Johannesburg?