What’s the best watch to wear on safari?

This year I am putting my watches in the safe and taking Apple Watch Ultra with me to keep track of vitals etc.. Battery life on the ultra is such that it is viable for a safari.
My fingers and eyes don't work on those things. :cry:

I'm happy for everyone that can wear a watch. Had a neck injury that messed with my left arm. Still have 3 fingers that have limited feeling in them. I can't wear a paper arm band on my left wrist without it feel like my skin is on fire much less a watch.

I'm happy for everyone that can wear a watch. Had a neck injury that messed with my left arm. Still have 3 fingers that have limited feeling in them. I can't wear a paper arm band on my left wrist without it feel like my skin is on fire much less a watch.
I’m very sorry to hear that. If you wanted to wear a watch, maybe on your right wrist? Maybe not though because you’d have to adjust it with your left fingers? That sucks all the way around!

That sucks. If you still wanted to enjoy a quality timepiece you could consider a pocket watch. Probably not ideal for hunting, but would really add some panache if you were going out for the evening. Finding a used vintage Longines hunter (hunter meaning a cover over the time face) would look great.
1685875879589.png

Last edited:
Rolex Submariner manufactured in 1976. It has been on my wrist since I think 1992. For three decades It has been everywhere on the planet I have been whether in the military, the corporate world, personal travel or shredding the pasture out back. It has kept perfect time and never even been cleaned. I find I just don't much care for throw-away watches, pens, or guns.
Using throwaway watches means more money stays in the bank for my grandkids education. And no big deal if I lose or break it. My nice burl wood fountain pen (nib made in China) was lost in my house for almost five years. About broke my heart. It didn't cost a fortune but sentimental value was priceless. Wedding ring slipped my finger shortly after my wife died. That breaks my heart almost daily.

Think about pocket watch. There's some nice thin electric ones available. I had one for years when I worked as a laborer in an aluminum plant. Or if you're like some of these fellas and desire classics, the sky's the limit for collectible antique pocket watches. I have one of those too. It's too bulky to wear inside pants. Phone and card wallet is all I can handle. And sorry I'm not wearing a vest and chain. I'm no slave to fashion but not gonna be a weirdo either.

Edit: I see Bee already made the suggestion on next page. Oops.

any particular reason why you would not want to have a date window? I find that a must for a daily wearer.
I don't bother setting the date on my watch. Looking at my phone more than my watch anyway and date pops up every time it starts up. Changing the date on a stem type watch puts wear and tear on it. Leave it alone and it will last longer. Very important for guys like me who prefer cheap watches ... because we are cheap :D

The strap that came on mine looked like cheap denim and I couldn't stand it. Switched it out for the leather pictured above. Yours looks much nicer.
View attachment 537626
I owned a blue Diver 300M with a blue rubber strap before I bought the Railmaster. Like you, I thought the fabric straps on all the Railmasters were hideous so when I bought mine I opted for the metal bracelet. I was planning to just keep it on the bracelet but but it dawned on me that the blue rubber strap from the diver would be perfect on the blue face Railmaster. I tried it and never looked back.

I bought the correct Diver 300M bracelet from Omega to replace the rubber strap. I know a lot of people like the rubber strap on the Diver 300M but I prefer it in all steel.

What did I do with the Railmaster steel bracelet? I put it on my Speedmaster. The black strap in the background is the fabric strap that originally came on the Speedy.

68833287762__CBE8CD1B-A20F-44AF-B868-3C3B30236D79.jpeg

That sucks. If you still wanted to enjoy a quality timepiece you could consider a pocket watch. Probably not ideal for hunting, but would really add some panache if you were going out for the evening. Finding a used vintage Longines hunter (hunter meaning a cover over the time face) would look great.
View attachment 537658

Think about pocket watch. There's some nice thin electric ones available. I had one for years when I worked as a laborer in an aluminum plant. Or if you're like some of these fellas and desire classics, the sky's the limit for collectible antique pocket watches. I have one of those too. It's too bulky to wear inside pants. Phone and card wallet is all I can handle. And sorry I'm not wearing a vest and chain. I'm no slave to fashion but not gonna be a weirdo either.

Edit: I see Bee already made the suggestion on next page. Oops.

All good gents, have a phone at keeps time for me. I have thought about pocket watches in the past. I'm not that refined, haha.

Using throwaway watches means more money stays in the bank for my grandkids education. And no big deal if I lose or break it...
Some people enjoy and appreciate finer things in life, from custom hats to bespoke clothing to bespoke guns to fine watches and pens etc. etc.. In regard to losing things, well that's what insurance is for and if something is of quality it will not wear out. Like @Red Leg I do have a Rolex (Sea Dweller in my case) that I had purchased in 1978. Wore it for decades, and still wear it on occasion.

Personally, I took care of my grandkids by providing for a solid Ivy League education and installing a work ethic for my kids. Whether I die with millions in my estate or broke, it will not make any difference to their quality of life. Whatever inheritance they eventually (hopefully not for 30 years or so ;) ) get would be a topping on the cake, not much more.

Changing the date on a stem type watch puts wear and tear on it. Leave it alone and it will last longer. Very important for guys like me who prefer cheap watches ... because we are cheap :D

Well, I think from a multitude of posts you have made, most understand that. :rolleyes:

I owned a blue Diver 300M with a blue rubber strap before I bought the Railmaster. Like you, I thought the fabric straps on all the Railmasters were hideous so when I bought mine I opted for the metal bracelet. I was planning to just keep it on the bracelet but but it dawned on me that the blue rubber strap from the diver would be perfect on the blue face Railmaster. I tried it and never looked back.

I bought the correct Diver 300M bracelet from Omega to replace the rubber strap. I know a lot of people like the rubber strap on the Diver 300M but I prefer it in all steel.

What did I do with the Railmaster steel bracelet? I put it on my Speedmaster. The black strap in the background is the fabric strap that originally came on the Speedy.

View attachment 537685
Now that's a classy set-up

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 7.45.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 7.45.03 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
View attachment 537658
I can imagine Kevin Peacocke with one of those, on a chain across his "middleground"

Being long retired (poor health) I have a simple system: if the sun is shining, it's daytime, if it's dark, night-time when hunting gets riskier ...

I own everything from a Rolex Submariner to Casio G-Shock. I do love my Rolex but there is absolutely no ambition to wear it on a safari. My Marathon TSAR was my watch I chose during my time in the PMC field and for diving. Now, for hunting and safaris, camouflaged g-shock. I don't think the camo matters but I keep telling myself it does, at least.

I wear a Rolex Sea Dweller on my hunts. I have had the watch for over 30 years

Timex Ironman. Tells the time, lights up at night when you are wondering how much longer you gotta lay here, has timers and alarms, lightweight, cheap. Perfect for me

I do not wear any watch at all when I am out, and I have a foolproof method for telling the time.

What I do is take my trousers down, and then lie on my back, close my eyes, and think of England. Dulce et decorum est pro patria somniare. That usually does the trick, and in short order I have my own sundial.

I was demonstrating this method the last time that I was in the Limpopo. My PH was impressed, but confessed that he was a bit too fat to do it himself, and that his own protuberance (fun fact: it is technically known as the 'gnomon') would be lost in the flab. The tracker was most impressed by the method but confessed that his own member was insufficient compared to mine.

Obviously you should check that you are not lying on an ants' nest when you do this.

Anyway, as I say, this is an easy way of telling the time and bound to impress the locals. I recommend it to all the (male) contributors to this forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!