What’s the best watch to wear on safari?

I’m not much of a watch guy but this thread had me thinking of a general purpose cheap watch for outdoor pursuits. Those who own Casios, which type of band do you prefer? Woven or resin?

resin

I’m not much of a watch guy but this thread had me thinking of a general purpose cheap watch for outdoor pursuits. Those who own Casios, which type of band do you prefer? Woven or resin?
I've had both and also will tell you about secret option #3.

First the watch...look for solar-atomic watches. This will NEVER require a battery change and will keep perfect time the same way your mobile phone does. I've had several Mudman and Rangeman watches from Casio with long life.

The resin band is stiff but will last a long time. When it does fail, generally it cracks at the stress points or is because of some chemical it came in contact with like gasoline. Some people complain about the resin band being TOO stiff and creating hot spots on their wrist.

The cloth band is not good, although I admit the last one I had was in the 90's. Comfortable but will begin to have a smell if you don't stay on top of keeping it clean. The cloth was too thick and held onto sweat, always felt damp. I believe my wife pitched that watch for exactly that reason and I went to wearing a resin band.

Secret option #3. What I've done for my work watch that originally was a resin band is buy adapters to use a NATO strap from BluShark. I believe the adapters are from Jay's & Kay's or something like that and are made from aluminum. This set up is very comfortable and easy to swap out for cleaning. I've been using the grey/black strap for my work watch for at least 5 years working in industrial boiler rooms. The only thing I've done is brush it with soap and warm water every couple of months. Extremely comfortable with no nasty smell. Yeah, it costs a little more but IMO it's worth it.

1708979753863.png

1708979783666.png

I've had both and also will tell you about secret option #3.

First the watch...look for solar-atomic watches. This will NEVER require a battery change and will keep perfect time the same way your mobile phone does. I've had several Mudman and Rangeman watches from Casio with long life.

The resin band is stiff but will last a long time. When it does fail, generally it cracks at the stress points or is because of some chemical it came in contact with like gasoline. Some people complain about the resin band being TOO stiff and creating hot spots on their wrist.

The cloth band is not good, although I admit the last one I had was in the 90's. Comfortable but will begin to have a smell if you don't stay on top of keeping it clean. The cloth was too thick and held onto sweat, always felt damp. I believe my wife pitched that watch for exactly that reason and I went to wearing a resin band.

Secret option #3. What I've done for my work watch that originally was a resin band is buy adapters to use a NATO strap from BluShark. I believe the adapters are from Jay's & Kay's or something like that and are made from aluminum. This set up is very comfortable and easy to swap out for cleaning. I've been using the grey/black strap for my work watch for at least 5 years working in industrial boiler rooms. The only thing I've done is brush it with soap and warm water every couple of months. Extremely comfortable with no nasty smell. Yeah, it costs a little more but IMO it's worth it.

View attachment 589672
View attachment 589673
I’m considering the SGW100 because the compass and thermometer appeal to the Boy Scout in me. Otherwise I’d probably opt for something analog.

Theres an attraction to tools that are multi purpose.

Unfortunately the sgw100 doesn’t seem as easy to replace the straps on, probably what I get for looking at a cheap model. ;)

Some cloth straps come with a detachable buckle.

The fabric can then be cleaned in the washing machine along with your other laundry.

Fabric straps that go uncleaned for months become disgusting, maybe not to the wearer, but to people at a progressively longer and longer distance to the wearer ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross