What’s your guys opinion on a 375 flanged double rifle by Sabatti?

If a Sabatti double will get the job done and any issues are easily resolved by a trip to a reputable gunsmith I don't see the problem. Not all of us have the means to spend five figures on a hunting rifle. That's not sour grapes or jealousy. It's economic reality. I'm honestly glad that a select few of you are able to keep that segment of gun world alive. I'd hate to see those guns disappear forever. The rest of us will have to be satisfied with other more affordable options.
A trip to a reputable gunsmith for those readily solved issues (I can think of two who would touch one of my doubles) for re-regulation, trigger or spring work, etc etc can generate a bill well north of a thousand dollars very quickly. I personally would rather spend that money on the initial investment.

From person experience, not just anyone reputable will touch a Sabatti. I was turned down by several reputable double rifle smiths when i had problems with mine. Luckily Ken Owens came to my rescue.

If a Sabatti double will get the job done and any issues are easily resolved by a trip to a reputable gunsmith I don't see the problem. Not all of us have the means to spend five figures on a hunting rifle. That's not sour grapes or jealousy. It's economic reality. I'm honestly glad that a select few of you are able to keep that segment of gun world alive. I'd hate to see those guns disappear forever. The rest of us will have to be satisfied with other more affordable options.
In addition to what @Red Leg said.... It's pretty tough to take a rifle to any gunsmith, much less a reputable one, when you are somewhere in Africa on a hunt. ;)

I had a Sabatti single trigger that doubled on me and I could not get it shoot both barrels on paper at 50 yards. I bought it brand new direct from the distributor in Texas. Took it back and they insisted it was perfect. I'll never buy another.

The .375 Magnum Flanged is a splendid, accurate, hard-hitting cartridge--you can use the loading data for the .375 H&H and it will never give you extraction problems.

I'm getting a Chapuis "Elan" 25.5" barrel in that caliber. Very well put together, it comes with a 2-year warranty, is moderately priced, is handsome to look at, it is set up for the awesome Recknagel mounting system, and it will never give you trouble.

I have been on the look out for a .375 flanged for a long time. It will do anything that a 9.3 does and do it with a 300 gr bullet. ... would be perfect for a one-rifle hunt.

One of the reasons I went with the 9.3 instead of the .375 FL was the availability of factory ammo at the time, and the fact that I would not have time to develop loads based on scheduled arrival before my hunt.

The 150 ft/lbs of energy loss at the muzzle due to not having the extra 14 grains of bullet weight is not really that significant for me. Of course, I like to have a "rapier" and a "broadsword" for my hunts. ;)

A 375 of either flavor is a fantastic, perhaps the perfect, general purpose round. While a double rifle certainly can be scoped and used as a general purpose rifle, a bolt gun is better suited to the purpose. A double rifle is ideal for close-in work where a quick second shot may be required, ie as a stopping rifle, which is rather a specialized task. Would a more specialized (ie larger) caliber be a better match?

that said, the odds of a client actually using it to stop anything are between slim and none; if a 375 double brings you joy, go for it!

I’ve no input regards the actual firearm to choose.

A 375 of either flavor is a fantastic, perhaps the perfect, general purpose round. While a double rifle certainly can be scoped and used as a general purpose rifle, a bolt gun is better suited to the purpose. A double rifle is ideal for close-in work where a quick second shot may be required, ie as a stopping rifle, which is rather a specialized task. Would a more specialized (ie larger) caliber be a better match?

that said, the odds of a client actually using it to stop anything are between slim and none; if a 375 double brings you joy, go for it!

I’ve no input regards the actual firearm to choose.
My Blaser S2 with .375 barrels attached has worked extraordinarily well as a general purpose rifle on everything from buffalo to Duiker - from 25ft to 250 yards. An accurate flanged .375 will do exactly the same thing.

The right double rifle, properly set up, can be far more and far different than just a stopping rifle. Just saying. :cool:

The right double rifle, properly set up, can be far more and far different than just a stopping rifle. Just saying. :cool:
Can we get an "amen"? Great point and well put.

My Blaser S2 with .375 barrels attached has worked extraordinarily well as a general purpose rifle on everything from buffalo to Duiker - from 25ft to 250 yards. An accurate flanged .375 will do exactly the same thing.

As I said in my post, a double can be scoped and used as a general purpose rifle

Of course it can work and for you it does.

What does it do better than an R8 would do as a general purpose rifle? From a practical standpoint a double has advantages over a bolt gun as a stopping rifle. As a general-purpose rifle, seems more an aesthetic choice than practical choice to me. Which is an entirely valid reason to choose a double as a general-purpose rifle if it brings you happiness.

As I said in my post, a double can be scoped and used as a general purpose rifle

Of course it can work and for you it does.

What does it do better than an R8 would do as a general purpose rifle? From a practical standpoint a double has advantages over a bolt gun as a stopping rifle. As a general-purpose rifle, seems more an aesthetic choice than practical choice to me. Which is an entirely valid reason to choose a double as a general-purpose rifle if it brings you happiness.
It has a quicker second shot - regardless of range or target.

If I am not mistaken the 375FL is a buffalo legal calibre in South Africa and a lot of countries where the 9.3x74R is not.

If I am not mistaken the 375FL is a buffalo legal calibre in South Africa and a lot of countries where the 9.3x74R is not.
Well, I prefer neither one for buffalo so that point is moot. ;) I was talking about use of a scoped double as a general purpose rifle at some distance, in my case the 9.3x74R.

Well, I prefer neither one for buffalo so that point is moot. ;) I was talking about use of a scoped double as a general purpose rifle at some distance, in my case the 9.3x74R.
I have no experience with a 9.3x74R, never even fired one. But they have killed plenty of buff, and so has the 375FL. I have moved up to what I hope will be a broadsword-rapier cross (name?), and thats the 450/400. It's reputation says it is broadsword enough, the question is does it also have the lower end finesse as you have demonstrated the 9.3 does? I am a sub 150m person, better 100m, I am just not a great shot. So here's hoping, because it has to be one gun.

Well, I know people like @cal pappas that have used a scoped 450/400 (a saber :ROFLMAO: ) at 250+ yards successfully. I think you are putting just a red dot on yours, so it will depend on your eyes.

Well, I know people like @cal pappas that have used a scoped 450/400 (a saber :ROFLMAO: ) at 250+ yards successfully. I think you are putting just a red dot on yours, so it will depend on your eyes.
I like saber - or maybe backsword. :unsure: No, saber is best. :E Ok:

Every time I read one of these (comes up all the time) it makes me smile. ? Why?
Because my .405 WCF DR does all those 300 grain things (2250+) + it also does the 400 grain (2100+) 450/400 thing with 400 grain Woodies. Plus it has a QD Talley scope and QD Talley peep sight (dead on at 100 yards). + plus the express sights are dead on out to 50 Yards and I prefer them, but sometimes the range call for a scope.
Thank goodness it pleases me as I can focus on shooting and hunting and not on shopping.
56534_600x400.jpg

Red Leg - the North Fork .405 300 grain Cup Point Solids do sabre too. And turn bones into bone meal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a new and better pic of my Simson Suhl .405 WCF DR.
66553_600x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In the last 10 years I have owned, sold, traded and shot 20 different doubles from my new 7x65R to a 577BPE. Two of them were sabattis (45/70 and 450NE) The first batch that Cabelas brought into the country were hit and miss. These were the ones that gave sabatti a black eye as they took a shortcut in regulating some with a dremel tool. (Mostly the 45/70 and 9.3x74) Both of mine were shooters, I took my cape buffalo in 2015 and a warthog and zebra in 2013 with the 450NE. both were sold due to friends offering me more money that I had in them. However there were some real lemons in the group. I owned a Rizzini 45/70 that is a step up in quality. It shot well and I would look at them/zoli as the entry level on doubles that are of acceptable quality. The Chapuis, VC, Heym, Krieghoff are in the next rung up the ladder. and The higher end Italian,austrian, english whether new or older classic are at the top and depend on what you are willing to look for.

My chapuis 9.3x74 is one of my favorite, It regulates with 300gr aframe at 2380fps same as the 286gr's.

I would suggest that the 450/400 is about as perfect of a caliber for a client as there is for a buffalo or elephant.

Don't discount the O/U double, I got my VC 450/400 as part of a 3 way trade and had to accept it as part of the deal. (I got a chapis 9.3 SxS and the VC 450/400 O/U for a old classic 500 Woodward double) I planned on shooting a couple rounds through it then trading it off. Well the darn thing shot so well that I kept it.

With the double market being soft, sit down and lay out what your requirement are for the animals you plan on hunting in the next 10 years and go forward with eyes open to pick your double vs backing into a double based on price and availability at a given moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois