Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Hungary, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)

Sheikh Mohammed bin Khalifa al Thani, for whom these guns were made, is the brother of the Emir of Qatar. He is responsible for investment recommendations to the Emir. Not entirely sure where these would have fit in. :E Shrug:

I am not entirely sold on the pseudo calligraphy Islamic style engraving, but then again, considering the purchaser, why not. Magnificent.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.57.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.57.00 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 190
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.57.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.57.02 PM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 203
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.57.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.57.03 PM.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 225
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.57.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.57.06 PM.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 232
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.57.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.57.07 PM.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 253
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.57.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.57.10 PM.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 281
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.57.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.57.12 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 216
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.57.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.57.15 PM.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 212
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.57.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.57.17 PM.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 199
Last edited by a moderator:
He was friend of Simon clodes...shot couple of times with him at pheasant shoot I used to belong to in England...first time I met him outside the shoot owners house didn't have a clue who he was.....introduced myself and he said my name is Mohamed...no title just Mohamed...shoot owner or Simon told me who he was...no airs and graces...nice bloke..also bit after bumped into him at Madrid hunting show years ago and he said hi and had chat with him...no security or anything...just wandering around in Jean's and shirt....a cousin of his on same shoot was bit different...used sheikh title all the time ...and was bit lower in the hierarchy shall we say....

I am not entirely sold on the pseudo calligraphy Islamic style engraving, but then again, considering the purchaser, why not. Magnificent.
On the other hand, I really like the pure geometric engraving. Scrolls and floral/ivy patterns you see in Western engraving never really appealed to me much outside of simple geometric designs and maybe a little bit of German oak-leaf motif. A mix of Middle Eastern geometric designs and ancient Egyptian symbolism would be right up my alley.

My friend has Merkel Helix - Arabesca. 300 win mag.
It is higher grade factory rifle, with arabic style engraving. It is really nice.

Not surprisingly because they are owned, By Abu Dhabi Sheikh, now. So they added a touch of arabic style, on higher end product

Some nice looking wall hangers right there !
I wish that type of craftsmanship was alittle cheaper. I would love to have an example like that, without having to mortgage my home !

These rifles are absolutely stunning. Truly works of art.

Actually, shotguns.
But, works of art, they are!

I'll just simplify everything going through my head with HOLY CRAP!!

Here are a pair of double rifles. Lefty 450/400 and .500 NE. I was planning on ordering these for my 65th birthday before Covid hit and of course with Biden possibly doubling capital gains taxes I might have to wait until things are no longer fluid. I don't think I'd need any more firearms for Africa.

1620844878129.png
1620844904792.png
1620844943387.png
1620844972995.png
1620844995433.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheikh Mohammed bin Khalifa al Thani, for whom these guns were made, is the brother of the Emir of Qatar. He is responsible for investment recommendations to the Emir. Not entirely sure where these would have fit in. :E Shrug:

Thanks for posting such a unique garnish @Red Leg . All art is subjective, I'm not sure that I mind the engraving pattern. It reminds me of an arabesque mosaic of a mosque hybridized with that classic Celtic Engraving pattern. The only thing that rubs me as a bit off is the engraved portraits of saker falcons and houbara bustards. The engraver didn't know what they should look like (or had insufficient specimen art) so they ended up a bit cartoonish and chubby. Nonetheless, exquisite guns and truly unique and apropos of the brother of an Emir.

Thanks for posting such a unique garnish @Red Leg . All art is subjective, I'm not sure that I mind the engraving pattern. It reminds me of an arabesque mosaic of a mosque hybridized with that classic Celtic Engraving pattern. The only thing that rubs me as a bit off is the engraved portraits of saker falcons and houbara bustards. The engraver didn't know what they should look like (or had insufficient specimen art) so they ended up a bit cartoonish and chubby. Nonetheless, exquisite guns and truly unique and apropos of the brother of an Emir.
I agree. Both the falcons and riders are not done to the standard I would have expected from WR. I am personally unfamiliar with Bradley Tallet's work, though I would assume a world class reputation to be given this project.

Last edited:
@Red Leg if you don't mind a bit of a thread-jacking, this is another unique specimen that I had the privilege to own for a brief period of time. In 1896 the Nawab of Rampur ordered a quartet of weapons from Charles Lancaster of London. As far as I can recall, it was a 12 bore, a 20 bore, a largebore Nitro and I *think* a paradox of some sort although it may have been a smallbore rifle.

In my opinion, they were the finest guns ever made by Lancaster. The 20-bore that I owned had 28" damascus barrels, ejectors, automatic safety, single selectable trigger, and was automatic opening. Deep relief engraving that looked a bit like Acanthus scroll with a bit of an Arabesque flare.

The gun was last known in a book from circa 1954 on the history of the British Shotgun. (picture of the gun from that book below). When I found the gun about a decade ago it was in a cigar box, the original stock having rotted out at the headstock. It was about 3-4 years to get the stock redone. I won't say what I paid for it, but it was what I consider to be an obscene amount of money for a set of barrels and a cigar box full of parts. The stocking of the gun was another small fortune.

To compare it to a "Best gun" from Lancaster there is a picture from their 1890's era catalog to show the normal engraving pattern.

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0224.JPG
IMG_0541.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaja

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,