Westley Richards Synthetic??

I’m at 30000 feet over the Rockies right now and I’ve had a few bourbons so I can’t drop it:

That is not art. It’s soulless. It is of no hereditary, lasting worth.

Buying a plastic gun from a best gun maker is akin to going to a brothel for a neck massage. You’ve gone there, there is going to be hell to pay, might as well go the full measure and do it right.

My first thought was - horror!
But lets analyze what is happening here. Introducing an affordable entry level variant to support the upper end is obviously sound economics. You need both ends though, the upper adds the flair and name to the well engineered lower end that is frequently mechanically identical, sans decoration. Rigby is a prime example, Heym does it too, both have entry level variants labelled as PH models.
If WR prices this correctly you may be looking at the saviour of that fine old company. Not all are going to survive, I think Rigby and Heym will, but I feared for WR. If they price this to the volume market I can wear that and it gets my support as an acknowledgement of smarts. If they miss this golden opportunity, well that would be sad.
Kevin, I think you should stick with your first thought. I’ve thought some more on this and I just don’t get it.

59ED3CEC-BC68-4E3A-83DB-6C7AFDEA2FF9.jpeg
22AA6C70-8C65-4FE8-B23F-7C093E2C2784.jpeg

Hmmmmmm, A, or B. Decisions, decisions….

Does the synthetic come in Real Tree?

Find that I am not entirely outraged but can empathize with those who are.

I would love to be able to purchase the stock, even as an un-inlet unit.

I have a original Jefferies Mauser .404J. The stock that was on the rifle when I bought it was trash (wood). I restocked it with a McMillan synthetic. Shoots nice, carries nice. It kills what more can I say?

Different strokes.

I think the Highland Stalker has shown the way for the boutique brands, but if they wanted to step away from timber for any specific reason, make it carbon fibre to get the advantages without seeming…..cheap.

Done well it can achieve the weight loss and come in any shape they wish.

I have long favoured a Rigby, but a WR would also be high in my mind should the time ever come.

I’m at 30000 feet over the Rockies right now and I’ve had a few bourbons so I can’t drop it:

That is not art. It’s soulless. It is of no hereditary, lasting worth.

Buying a plastic gun from a best gun maker is akin to going to a brothel for a neck massage. You’ve gone there, there is going to be hell to pay, might as well go the full measure and do it right.
I am very impressed with your high level of grammar, spelling, and syntax after a few glasses of bourbon. My ability to communicate with the written word while just sitting next to a full glass of fine bourbon would be highly degraded. :A Thumbs Up:

I concede that a synthetic stock is a practical choice for many reasons but if WR is going to put out a more affordable rifle I wish it would’ve been in blued steel and walnut around the same ballpark price range as the Rigby Highland Stalker & Big Game, Mauser M98, and Heym Martini Express lines. IMHO..

Having in mind that many of the forum members installed synthetic stocks on magnum action cz 550 rifles, (actually replaced wooden stocks), and also having in mind that cz 550 is phased out, i think that synthetic stock has a certain following in mauser tyoe if rifles. So, wr is possibly supplying for already present demand.

It is going to be really interesting to see what Beretta does with H&H. Will they dumb it down and maybe we see synthetic stocks, or just re-launch at the high end? The winning formula is surely maintain high quality, but at a more affordable price, made possible on the back of more modern technologies.
On H&H, I would expect that Beretta will keep it at the high end, with the stratosphere above that. They have Chapuis for the “common hunter” and if anything, the most likely form of “Economy H&H” would be one made to be sold as a Beretta. That would save them having to pay Perugini & Visini to make them on their behalf….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg