SkullKeeper

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Tanzania, Zambia
Never thought I’d ever see one of these...
19930E57-155D-47B1-BC82-69220F0D2CBB.jpeg
455DB8DA-CBFF-45AD-B4FD-507117849DF3.jpeg
5DB1CFC2-0203-461D-9B7A-E8A1CE2E66C2.jpeg
97B53E24-4C6D-486B-8610-1F936832D585.jpeg

Did you get it?

Bummer, I was all excited for you.

Was that rifle at DSC? A friend that went was talking about it....
Is it a Drop Lock??

Was that rifle at DSC? A friend that went was talking about it....
Is it a Drop Lock??
Yes-That’s the one at DSC. Honestly I can’t recall if it was a drop lock but I don’t believe so.

Who at DSC had it?

Elmer Keith used a WR .476 in Africa and sung its praises.

That's a whole lot of money, The price has skyrocketed over the past few years.
Actual trading prices have not skyrocketed and are pretty stable for the upper end doubles. What has skyrocketed is the asking prices from dealers that do not own the product. Most high end pieces are on consignment and the dealer wants to make a killing selling to someone who thinks the value is $80K+. A WR drop lock should be priced the same or more than a Holland Royal which is the gold standard which all other doubles are compared against. Good Royals trade for about $45-55k. A reach me down Birmingham boxlock should never command as much money as a London sidelock.

EJ

Last edited:
I think you were saying a WR drop lock "shouldn't" be priced the same or more than a Holland Royal ....

1000% agree. Some of the dealers have gone bonkers on pricing, resulting in doubles sitting for years due to expectations set by these wild prices on consignment.

I think you were saying a WR drop lock "shouldn't" be priced the same or more than a Holland Royal ....

1000% agree. Some of the dealers have gone bonkers on pricing, resulting in doubles sitting for years due to expectations set by these wild prices on consignment.
Somehow I mangaed to incorrectly type my above reply.

A Westly Richards Drop Lock should NOT be priced same as a Holland Royal. A Westly Richards Drop Lock is a boxlock rifle with removable locks and it is not comparable to a sidelock Holland Royal. Yes, some WR rifles are "best" quality, however some are pricing Westley rifles (Birmingham boxlocks) more than London Sidelocks. That is a no go in my book. Then again there is a sucker born everyday. Some people have more dollars than sense or cents and do not fully understand double rifles or the true market value. My very good friend David Powell the GURU of doubles owned may Royals and droplocks and he never valued the WR drop lock or fixed lock remotely close to the Royal sidelock.

YMMV. If someone wants to pay Holland Royal money +++ for a reach me down Birmingham boxlock rifle go right ahead. I have nothing against WR rifles as they are fine rifles, however they should not be priced the same or above a Holland Royal.

EJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross