Westley Richards .318

miroflex

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
India
Have any fellow members used this calibre in Africa recently? What has been their experience with it?

I ask because several of these rifles are for sale in India though mostly at very exhorbitant prices.

Regards.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
I have a WR takedown in .318 which I love. It has a Griffin & Howe mount with modern scope. It likes the traditional 250 gr bullet with the unbelievable ballistic coefficient. It is a wonderful plains game round and were it legal, I would not hesitate to shoot a buff with it.

miroflex

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
India
I had read your earlier post about having bought a Westley Richards .318. It is heartening to note your satisfaction with it as a plains game round and your unhesitating endorsement of it for use on buffalo.

Regards.

Code4

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA (2), NZ (2), UK.
One shooter near me has used a .318WR on lion in South Africa. It was a drive up, get out and shoot the lion. The rifle and calibre seemed to work ok. Projectiles were 250 Woodleighs.

Lothar Walther in Germany can supply special order pre-chambered and threaded barrels for Mauser '98 actions. I assume it would be a straight re-barrel.

The .318WR is slightly shorter than a .30-06 with a slightly smaller rim dia..

Brass is available from Bertram Brass in Australia and RCBS (?) can supply forming dies to form .30-06 cases to .318WR.

I believe 8x60 brass can also quite easily be substituted after a F/L Resize. (Reference required).

FWIW 'Karamojo' Bell liked the .318WR and said that when shooting elephants the unexplained misses he had with the 7x57 stopped. For some one who was a crack shot I've drawn my own conclusions .....

Odinsraven

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Membe,Icelandic Hunting Club SKOTVIS , BASC (UK) Countryside Alliance (UK)r
Hunted
UK ,Ireland, Bulgaria,Iceland,Czech Republic
Have 2 of them a BSW Shul double Boxlock and a 1907 turn bolt by Westley Richards ...trying to track down reloading dies if anyone can help ?

ZG47

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
NZDA, NZMSC
Hunted
New Zealand
Have you emailed either Bertram's or Woodleigh?

Odinsraven

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Membe,Icelandic Hunting Club SKOTVIS , BASC (UK) Countryside Alliance (UK)r
Hunted
UK ,Ireland, Bulgaria,Iceland,Czech Republic
Reloading dies sorted. .... David at Kynoch has sorted the ammo and will reload the brass . Bullet heads from pergerine if they will regulate ok.

So think it is sorted.

Unfortunately the 318 turn bolt os beyond economic repair as needs stcoked and re barreled.
However when. It arrives here I will see what can be done on the cheap.

It is chambered in 8x57 see how the old girl shoots before I decide.

Stephen

ZG47

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
NZDA, NZMSC
Hunted
New Zealand
Odinsraven
Ken Waters acquired a Westley Richards .318 bolt-action rifle in the 1960s, which had badly worn rifling. He had it rebored and rerifled to use .358 bullets. Read 'The Story of a Rifle', pp. 61-3 in Gun Digest 1985 (39th ed.) and you will see that it appeared to work out quite well.

John A Flaws

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa
I have used a 318 W-R on a plains game hunt in South Africa many years ago. I have also killed a few wild pigs hunting in California. I think it is a wonderful little cartridge using on game as large as an Eland. I would have no problem using it again as a primary rifle on planes game.
WR 318-2.jpg
WR 318-4.jpg
WR 318-5.jpg
WR 318-1.jpg
WR 318-6.jpg
WR 318-7.jpg
WR 318-8.jpg
WR 318-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlorrieVar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J