Western Hunting and Conservation Expo

Discussion in 'Hunting Conventions, Shows & Events' started by flatwater bill, Feb 14, 2018.

1. flatwater bill

flatwater bill AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA endowment member/Life member
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
    I was fortunate to meet with three other AH members at the WHCE in Salt Lake City last week. Putting faces with the familiar names was nice. This is a well organized expo well worth attending. The speakers were excellent, and regardless of your political bent, Donald Trump, Jr., The Secretary of the Interior, and Uncle Ted all proved to me that they were hunters and strong advocates of hunting. I also attended the evening auctions, which is the purpose of this post. For those who have not attended this show, but have attended various SCI shows, you know the format. But the auctions in Salt Lake City are higher octane. Jet fueled. A few examples: The Arizona state-wide mule deer tag sold for $220,000. A muley tag in a single Utah hunt unit sold for $105,000. The state wide Utah muley tag....the "Governor's Tag" as it is called, went for $190,000, and the Antelope Island Utah Mule Deer tag went for a crisp, tidy $290,000. Some tags a little higher, some a little lower than previous years. These auctions raise a great deal of money for conservation. They also make a mortal man very, very envious.
    After a little reflection, I realize how fortunate we are to have reasonably priced hunting in Africa. Right now it is the best deal in hunting. And how nice it is to have this website to both display and arrange for our own "Governor's Tags" at a fraction of the price. Sometimes 5% or so.
    Last year I stayed in a camp with some high rollers. One man, Mark, arrived at 5PM and unpacked. He hunted the evening hunt and with a great guide, shot a 386 bull elk just at sunset. He was not at breakfast the next morning. He had risen early, and drove out at 5 AM headed to the city to catch an early flight out. A hunter?.
    I would not trade even one of my African hunts for a canned, pre-scouted trigger day in Utah or Arizona at a quarter of a million dollars. This auction put AH in perspective. This is the place. The time is now.
    Flatwater Bill

jeff, rinehart0050, CAustin and 4 others like this.

2. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(2) New Zealand
    I hear you Flatwater Bill. I saw some items go for over $100,000 at SCI. Blows your mind. Just out of my price range and like you just a little envious. Flying in and shooting something and leaving doesn't feel like much of a hunt. One of my best was a 10 day sheep hunt that went to the last day. Wish that expo wasn't just before Valentines day as that is a busy work time for me. I even have a brother I can stay with in SLC if it was some other weekend......
    Bruce

3. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    Outside of the auctions, how was the show otherwise? Well attended? What did the makeup of outfitters look like? Primarily American or....?

4. wysongdog

wysongdog AH Senior Member

Ive attended in the past. How much did jake’s mule sell for? Jake and Kay Clark are good friends of ours. We would have been but had high school basketball Friday and Saturday and kids’s Sports take presidence. So it’ll be another 4 years probably before we get to attend again.

5. wesheltonj

wesheltonj AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Benefactor-Life NRA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    I would have done the same thing too. Why stay. I've done that several times. One year a arrive around 11:45 ate lunch walk to the blind at noon, shot a 12:15, Pick up deer gutted and left by 12:45, drove home and season over.

6. flatwater bill

flatwater bill AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA endowment member/Life member
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
    Phil/Wes/yodeldog/...........50,000 people total attendance announced. 20,000 people on Sat alone. About 20 booths from Africa, Two Argentina, Two Old Mexico, 3 Europe, Two Asia..............Well organized, nice, Wesh..........sounds like you enjoyed your entire hunting season congrats, and the mule went for 15K................FWB

jeff and CAustin like this.

7. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Would have liked to attend that auction just to watch the high rollers bid against each other.

8. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    "Trigger day" - something I can not fathom.

flatwater bill likes this.

9. jeff

jeff AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    I'm with flatwaterbill I want to enjoy the sights, sounds and smell of my hunt and prolong the time afield, hunting is so much more than just filling a tag and racing to get back to civilization with bragging rights!

peras and flatwater bill like this.

10. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    It gets intense when the high rollers get bidding...I just sit on my hands and try not to move, lol.

I kind of with @wesheltonj on this one...not looking for a shoot but if the opportunity presents itself why stay. My columbian blacktail hunt was done on the arrival day of a 4 day hunt. One of the most beautiful bucks I ever saw. Outfitter told me I could hang around camp for the next 4 days...so change of flights and home I went to hunt something else. I did stay and eat with the guys and talk hunting stories. But...if the hunting Gods wish to give me an easy one, I am going to take it.

Philip Glass likes this.

11. jeff

jeff AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    I won't turn down a easy one either but I love the wild places to much to hurry home.