Well I've Done It Now!!! (Joining The R8 Cult)

This one comes in a 7lbs 12oz without the scope. Not too bad I guess. What actually makes it heavy is the Zeiss scope and scope mount which come in at an additional 1lbs 8oz. This puts it at a total weight of 9lbs 4oz. I may move to a lighter weight Leupold scope and bring the weight down a bit.
I have read that many people feel these guns are a bit barrel heavy without a kickstop in the stock, but I really don't feel that myself. No way I would want any extra weight added to the current configuration.
The 375 barrel should weigh a bit less than this 7MM barrel, so if I use a lightweight Leupold on that barrel, I should end up with a 375 which is under 9lbs.
I agree - the standard weight configuration in both synthetic and walnut balance very nicely. The semi-weight barrels are much heavier than they need to be .375 and below.

Totally cool, you love the trigger? Swap with the Bixn Andy system!
Here in Europe we like the detachable magazine/trigger of the R8 but as we do tons of driven hunts, many prefer the older R93. I use R8 for competition shooting in 223,6XC and 308.
Hunting with R93 in 270,308,8x68 and 458 Lott.

This one comes in a 7lbs 12oz without the scope. Not too bad I guess. What actually makes it heavy is the Zeiss scope and scope mount which come in at an additional 1lbs 8oz. This puts it at a total weight of 9lbs 4oz. I may move to a lighter weight Leupold scope and bring the weight down a bit.
I have read that many people feel these guns are a bit barrel heavy without a kickstop in the stock, but I really don't feel that myself. No way I would want any extra weight added to the current configuration.
The 375 barrel should weigh a bit less than this 7MM barrel, so if I use a lightweight Leupold on that barrel, I should end up with a 375 which is under 9lbs.
Mine in 375 H&H is 8 lb 14 oz with Blaser QR mount and Leupold VX-6 1-6x. Thats fine! But the practice rifle with 223 barrel, QR mount and 3-15x Leupold VX-5 is 9 lb 8 oz. More than my CZ 527 Varmint barrel and 6-24x scope. OK if it would hold groups the same. So far it won’t.
I guess carrying the 223 and practicing with it will make me stronger with the 375 H&H.:giggle:

I saw this very rifle for sale on GI.
If it had been in 257WBY...
Well let's say the Dept of Finance would have been bitching.

Congratulations on the new R8.
Let us know how it shoots.

Yes. That 257 has always intrigued me also. When ammo becomes available again, there could be one on my horizon as well. But since I have around 140 factory loads, over 200 pieces of brass, and a few boxes of 7MM bullets, this 7mm Rem Mag was a no brainer for me in a smaller caliber rifle. It should pair very nicely with a 375 H&H for a PG/DG hunt.

Yes. That 257 has always intrigued me also. When ammo becomes available again, there could be one on my horizon as well. But since I have around 140 factory loads, over 200 pieces of brass, and a few boxes of 7MM bullets, this 7mm Rem Mag was a no brainer for me in a smaller caliber rifle. It should pair very nicely with a 375 H&H for a PG/DG hunt.
This makes me chuckle.
Thinking of a 7mmRM as a "smaller caliber"...HA!
Owning a .400+ caliber does give some perspective.

You're not alone. I also do not find them barrel heavy. In fact I deliberately specced a non fluted barrel to retain a little forward weight.

This makes me chuckle.
Thinking of a 7mmRM as a "smaller caliber"...HA!
Owning a .400+ caliber does give some perspective.
I think it is actually lightest cartridge for mag-bolt head? Considering I have 9,3x62 I'd probably pair it with 7x64 for africa. For domestic purposes 6.5Manbun is perfect smaller caliber but it's a match barrel so not something I intend to walk with all day.

As some of you may know, I'm somewhat of a gun nut, and horse trader of sorts. Many of you have shown despair when I've bought, held very shortly, and sold some fine rifles over the last few years, and to be honest, I can't blame you! I sometimes think I'm indeed crazy myself.

But, during all of my gun buying ventures, a Blaser R8 has somehow remained elusive. In fact, until today, I had never even held one in my hands. I've read with great interest, the exploits of various members here who extol the virtues of these fine rifles over and over again, in post after post. Something had to give...

Well....I've been back and forth on deciding whether or not to take the plunge, sight unseen, to see what all the fuss was about. Could these rifles really be that good?
Well....I finally did just that. I took delivery of a brand new Blaser R8 Professional, with green synthetic stock, in the very useful 7MM Rem Mag. Along with the rifle came a brand new Zeiss Conquest 2-10×42 scope in a factory scope mount. All nestled together in a Pelican Safari Hard Case. To say I was impressed with my initial peak into the case would be an understatement. This thing is everything I had read about and more! Solid is a word that comes to mind. Very smooth feeding. Handles like a dream, and My God.....that trigger.

I can't wait to take it to the back yard for a test run. And my buy it now finger is already getting itchy for a 375 Barrel.

TBC.....

View attachment 382636View attachment 382638
@TOBY458
I'm sorry to hear that you have ventured into the sharks side mate. It appears the lure of the R8 is even stronger than the sirens of the seas to old time sailors.
I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it but alas I already see a spot for it on the far sale section and gun broker.
In all seriousness enjoy it mate and I hope you have finally found what you are looking for.
Bob

I feel that someday I will give in too Toby.
Enjoy the new rifle.
@Wyatt Smith
Now young Mr Smith DO NOT be tempted to go over to the dark side.
You have many years and guns to play with before you take that dastardly, evil R8 route.
Think of all the guns you can play with before then. You may even try the straight pull savage and do a report on it.
How is the 25 build going mate.
Bob

You wont regret it :)
Iam using my R8 since 5 Years, first with the 8x57is and now since two Years with the new Blaser calibre 8,5x55. Iam using it in Germany for Wildboar, Roe Deer, Red Stag hunting and also in Namibia for Plainsgame. It works really great :)
@Tim1990
Is the 8.5x55 similar to the 338 federal balisticly
Bob

@BeeMaa
Mate just get a 257 bee barrel and tell the BOSS I sent it to you and you just paid the postage. Might save a bent barrel and hospital bills.
Bob

@Wyatt Smith
Now young Mr Smith DO NOT be tempted to go over to the dark side.
You have many years and guns to play with before you take that dastardly, evil R8 route.
Think of all the guns you can play with before then. You may even try the straight pull savage and do a report on it.
How is the 25 build going mate.
Bob
Oh Bob,
Wyatt is much too young to not eventually venture into the darkness of the “more rifles, the better” abyss. The new Savage pull bolt on the horizon may send him over the edge quicker than you think. Ha! Ha!
CEH

Oh Bob,
Wyatt is much too young to not eventually venture into the darkness of the “more rifles, the better” abyss. The new Savage pull bolt on the horizon may send him there quicker than you think. Ha! Ha!
CEH
@CoElkHunter
Now there you go trying to corrupt poor young mister Smith. He has yet to learn the joys of various calibers and rifles.
For the price of ONE R8 barrel he could get 4 or 5 reasonable 2nd hand rifles and calibers a nd have a shit load more fun on his learning journey.
He has even advanced to wildcat cartridges in the form of 25/303 (or 257 Roberts rimmed).
Now let him grow and develop.
Bob

@CoElkHunter
Now there you go trying to corrupt poor young mister Smith. He has yet to learn the joys of various calibers and rifles.
For the price of ONE R8 barrel he could get 4 or 5 reasonable 2nd hand rifles and calibers a nd have a shit load more fun on his learning journey.
He has even advanced to wildcat cartridges in the form of 25/303 (or 257 Roberts rimmed).
Now let him grow and develop.
Bob
Yes Bob, but the young Wyatt MAY also be wondering how many of the Savages he could buy for ONE R8 barrel? But, I believe due to your influence and mentoring, he’ll stay on the right path..... for awhile, until he chooses the left path? Ha! Ha!
CEH

I think it is actually lightest cartridge for mag-bolt head? Considering I have 9,3x62 I'd probably pair it with 7x64 for africa. For domestic purposes 6.5Manbun is perfect smaller caliber but it's a match barrel so not something I intend to walk with all day.
The 257 Weatherby uses the same mag bolt head as the 7mm Rem Mag. So technically it's the smallest caliber in magnum configuration in the R8.

Yes Bob, but the young Wyatt MAY also be wondering how many of the Savages he could buy for ONE R8 barrel? But, I believe due to your influence and mentoring, he’ll stay on the right path..... for awhile, until he chooses the left path? Ha! Ha!
CEH
@CoElkHunter
Being the humble, caring and knowledgeable man I am I will give generously of my wisdom to you Wyatt and lead him on the 25 and 35 path of righteousness and steer him clear of all evil like the 243. Yes he may venture down the R8 path at some stage in his life, with my profound blessings.
He has much to learn and experience as a young grasshopper and as long as he take the path of learning, enjoyment and enlightenment he will get much pleasure from his journey. Once he has traveled the road to final enlightenment he may well then choose the R8.
Geez I'm full of shit today.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg