cal pappas

Contributor
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Weatherby Mark XXII
With such amazing success on selling books, brass, and bullets here, let’s try a few firearms.
Tube mag version in excellent condition in and out. Comes with an original near new in box Weatherby 22 scope. I see these tube fed 22s going for $1200. This one is $1250 with the scope plus $100 to your FFL. FFL must accept from a non FFL.

DSC_0066.JPG
DSC_0067.JPG
DSC_0068.JPG
DSC_0070.JPG
DSC_0065.JPG
DSC_0064.JPG
DSC_0063.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad I have a safari next month, or we would have been talking. I am a huge fan of Weatherby rifles. Good luck on the sale. :)

If you like Weatherby rifles, later in the year I will put up for sale my 1952 .270 WCF on a Southgate FN action. Have a complete history and owners since new and pics taken on a 1953 Alaska hunt and a 1997 Zimbabwe hunt.

I have owned many Weatherby rifles, but never a Mark XXII.

Please be honest:

- How many rounds have you shot with it?
- How accurate is it (MOA)?
- What 22LR ammo does it shoot the best with?

- What is it's malfunction rate? per 100 rounds

Dave:
I have your PM but will answer here so all can see if they are interested.
I bought this at a gun show three years ago. I also bought a brick of .22s and ther brick was shot up within the last month. From the exterior condition this .22 has been used very little. I have only shot it at my home range, not in the field nor have I taken it hunting. Ammo count under my ownership is a bit over a brick (500 rounds). That said, others have used my ammo in their .22s so my count is less than the brick.

I am a plicker with my .22 and even my double rifles. I would imagine 1-2" at 50 yards is acceptable accuracy. However I'm not a MOA target shooter with any of my rifles and with the .22 I mostly shot at soda cans and pieces of orange clay targets. My home range is 50 yards.

Best ammo is high velocity .22 which was what my brick was: Winchester with a yellow bullet, 40 grains, I recall. I shot a few low or lower velocity .22 (standard velocity?) with lead bullets I had a couple of jams at loading. It seemed the low velocity did not push the bolt back far enough or perhaps fast enough to load the next round from the magazine.

The single shot feature works as it should.

I'm not a .22 guy and only want one. I am selling this one as the first .22 I had in the 1960s was a Winchester Model 63. I saw a near new 63 on a site--a 1960 issue with the grooved receiver--so I bought it. It is at the FFL and I will pick it up Monday morning (tomorrow).

That's about a honest as I can be.
Cheers,
Cal

Very nice!

Thanks for your comments. Let's run this by again to see if it stimulates interest.
Safari Dave: was I honest enough for you? LOL.
Someone should own this fine .22.
Cheers and thanks for looking.
Cal

Gents:
Would anyone be interested in the .22 for a reduced price without the scope? A gent would like the scope so the possibility exists to sell just the rifle at a lesser price. PM if any interest in this possibility.
Cal

With regard to the Weatherby XXII, While I was at the Univ of Chicago they had a rifle team. We shot very old M37s & 52s but a professor inherited a Weatherby XXII that was clip fed. He had no use for "guns" so he donated it to the Univ rifle team. We shot it some but never in the competitions. While I was there it was fired about 500 times, generally with Winchester target ammo (mid 70s) and to my knowledge it never jammed. It was a very pretty rifle as is Mr Pappas'. The U of C rifle had a sad ending. About 1976 the Field house was remodeled and the rifle range was eliminated. The rifle team was also eliminated and all the rifles were sold to a dealer for pennies on the dollar. I was a non-resident of Illinois so was unable to purchase any of the rifles. Forgive the walk down memory lane- I'm sure the purchaser or Mr Pappas' XXII will be quite pleased.

Thanks for the memories.
Cal

Still available? I may be interested...

My sincere condolences and apologies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!