Weatherby Mark V action for long distance

colorado

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hi I bought a very used Mark V in 270 Weatherby several years ago. It shoots Ok (1.5" groups at 100 yards) but it's not a tack driver. I like the caliber, so I'm thinking of using it as the foundation to build a lower 48 hunting rifle. McMillan Weatherby Express stock with pillar, Hart or Shilen stainless 24" barrel with a 1 in 8" twist, having the action trued to the barrel. The problem with it now is I'm just not bonding to it like I have to my BDL in 270 I gave to my youngest son, or my 500 Jeffery. Probably like a couple deciding to have a kid to save their marriage, never a good idea. It's either this or sell it and buy a new rifle.

Opinions? Asbestos suit on!

Evaluate the availability of brass and how much you want to fool with it trying to get it to shoot. Other than that, it's your money. Use it when you need it. To me it seems like it should shoot sub moa for me to want to stretch it out any further. You're not reliably on varmints at 4-600 yards with 1.5 moa. If you like the caliber and are setup with components, do it. Sounds fun.

Nothing wrong with it.

Until about 15 years ago left handed hunters used to buy Mark V's and convert them to big bore rifles. As the only left handed CRF rifles.

I have been using a variety of Mark Vs to hunt all over the world. They are among the best actions on the planet.

Purist CRF geeks would crap themselves at the thought, but if you like the Mark V do it. If not send me a PM with the details of what you want for it.

Why not rebarrel it for 300prc 8 twist shilen select match ratchet ss bbl in 24 or 26" length then it would be a tack driver for anything in North America. Brass and bullets available.

Weatherby's work quite well for long distance shooting.

The problem is finding the ammo or load that is going to be accurate at that distance.

I have a .340 that is a tack driver out to 600 which is as far as I have shot it over a actual known distance. That 270 Weatherby should do the same thing.

Were you shooting factory ammo or hand loads?

A nice thing about the 270 Weatherby is that if you can't find any brass for it all you need to do is to run some 300 Weatherby brass through a 270 Weatherby sizing die and you have brass.

I got a deal on Weatherby ammunition with 150g Partitions. So I've only been shooting factory ammo. I do reload for our 270s (my two sons) and my 500 Jeffery. I'm going to try wipeout to see how copper fouled the barrel is. I have been cleaning it, but there could be some copper fouling Hoppes No. 9 isn't getting out. I've been using my 500 Jeffery for elk hunting, it's good out to 300 yards easily. My last elk, only a cow, I took at 225 yards. I'll let you know if I decide to sell it. :)

I'm planning on using my Ruger #1 in 270 Weatrerby mag on a Wyoming pronghorn hunt in a couple of years.

Since brass is so hard to find I picked up a couple hundred 300 Weatherby cases from a friend to use and plan on a sub MOA loading for it

I can pick up a new Model 70 Extreme Weather in 7mm Rem Mag for what I can probably get for this rifle (around $700) plus another $700. Probably a saner choice :)

My 2¢ will probably cost a little more money but in the end you won't have a worked over factory rifle.
If you can get $700 for the rifle, save the $300 it'll cost for a complete blueprint/truing job and buy a custom action, approximately $900 to $1000. The additional cost over your desired barrel and stock is attributed to a trigger and bottom metal. Good loads and you'll have a rifle that will shoot .5 moa or less at long range.

Weatherby's work quite well for long distance shooting.

The problem is finding the ammo or load that is going to be accurate at that distance.

I have a .340 that is a tack driver out to 600 which is as far as I have shot it over a actual known distance. That 270 Weatherby should do the same thing.

Were you shooting factory ammo or hand loads?

A nice thing about the 270 Weatherby is that if you can't find any brass for it all you need to do is to run some 300 Weatherby brass through a 270 Weatherby sizing die and you have brass.
Neck up 257 Weatherby brass or neck down 7MM Weatherby brass. Both cartridges are the same lenght as the 270 Weatherby. I have done it for many years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross