Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI Member
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
My wife and I have been on only one safari to RSA for PG in June 2019.
We are currently planning another for 2022 for a PG/DG with the same outfitter.

Over the past several months we have been looking into other places to hunt and fish.
Alaska fishing and Brown Bear hunting.
Canada for Brown/Black Bear, Moose along with fishing.
Western US for Elk/Black Tail/Grizzly Bear/Sheep.
Etc, etc, etc...

Thing is we are coming to the realization that we have been completely spoiled.
Every hunting adventure will be compared to Africa.
The thought of hiking 10 miles through rain and cold to possibly SEE a sheep but not actually shoot one...
Being dropped off in a Deer blind and sitting there all day to MAYBE see a shooter...

No, no, no...We're thinking of driving in the bakkie until we see something and putting a stalk on.
We know not all of them will work out, but if the PH sees a really good Impala....we might have a new rug.
Almost all the animals are on the menu if your checkbook is willing.
The weather isn't usually bad and if it is, it doesn't last too long.
Then the plan will be adjusted and we can watch animals in the rain...FROM THE LODGE!

Don't get me wrong, we will go hunting and fishing other places.
We're just not sure how they will compare.
Especially for the price, how we were treated and how much we loved everything about it.

The point is we never should have went hunting in Africa, because it has spoiled us for everything else.
We know we can't be the only ones thinking this.
Anyone else feel the same or have a rebuttal?

I would suggest that you do some looking at New Zealand. You can pick from places that are as five star as Africa.
A couple things that make it better

1 you can bring 50 pounds of meat back(not sure if that is per person)
2 I brought my stag cape/antlers and my Arapawa Ram skull back with me as luggage (just took an army surplus 30-50 bag with me

I am posing with my stag in my avatar.
Ram had two full curls.

I feel your pain. I went on my first trip in May 2018. I had such a great time trip 2 forJune 2019 was booked 45 days after returning home. Trip 3 got booked 50 days after returning home. 2020 trip is in June and already planning 2021 trip. I decided to do very little hunting at home and in the states. So much better in South Africa. Hunting with the same PH /Outfitter each trip, we just click and he adjusts hunts for my ability. Only problem is spacing out Taxidermy now. Gizmo has been great to work with about all that.

Been hardly able to think about anything else myself...
Totally ruined my life...
Became a night zombie prowling AH for anything Africa hunting, and lurking YouTube for new safari videos...
Even elk hunting and fly fishing seem less interesting... Never mind work !?!?!?!
Can't wait for Safari #4 this August 2020...
Can't imagine what my state of mind would be if I had to wait 3 years...
Thank God for empty nesting! The $1,000/month of feeding 5 kids have been redirected into the annual South Africa safari budget...
Seriously thinking about reselling a dozen rifles I have not shot in years to fund 3 weeks in Tanzania...
The heck with Dave Ramsey :E Rofl:

Last edited:
Just as I suspected...addicts...the lot of ya.
No wonder I feel at home.

I would suggest that you do some looking at New Zealand. You can pick from places that are as five star as Africa.
A couple things that make it better

1 you can bring 50 pounds of meat back(not sure if that is per person)
2 I brought my stag cape/antlers and my Arapawa Ram skull back with me as luggage (just took an army surplus 30-50 bag with me

I am posing with my stag in my avatar.
Ram had two full curls.
We will check it out.
Thanks for the heads up about bringing back meat & trophies.
Beautiful Bull Red Stag you have as well.

When l did my university degree in English literature , l remember a quote " It is better to have loved and lost , than to have never loved at all " .
I believe that the same can be said of hunting in Africa , Bee Maa . Take Kawshik and me , for example .
We were both professional shikarees in 2 different states of India . We spent 7 months of the year , guiding clients after royal Bengal tigers , panthers , Asian Sloth Bears , Indian Bush Boar , Gaur , Water Buffalo , crocodiles and all sorts of non dangerous game , jungle fowl and water fowl . Kawshik did it for 9 years. I did it for 10 . We loved that life ( and we still love it ) . Then in 1972 , it was all taken away from us when the vegan , monkey worshipping , cow urine drinking bastards took over India and banned all hunting of any form .
For 8 years , Kawshik could not hunt at all until he moved to Bangladesh in 1979 . I had already moved to Bangladesh in 1972 , but l did not hunt again until 1976 , because l was dealing with the facial injuries l suffered during the war .
Then , we began hunting again in Bangladesh . But it was not like before . Since 1972 , we now take written police permission for hunting in any forested area and we are allowed 2 deer of each species and 2 boars per year ( for example : 2 cheetal deer , 2 sambhur deer , 2 hog deer , 2 barking deer ) and 1 dozen water fowl of each species . On private land , we can hunt anything we like which comes into the land at our discretion , like hares , land fowl , etc .
In hilly places like the tea gardens where Kawshik lives , some times boars , cheetal deer and barking deer and the odd bear come into his land which we can shoot at our discretion . When we go boating , we occasionally kill the odd crocodile or 2 .
With the exception of the odd bear trespassing into private land or the feral boars which come to damage tea gardens and farms and crocodiles , there is no more hunting of dangerous game .
The only time any of us can hope to shoot a panther or a royal Bengal tiger now , is if it is declared a man eater by the government . Things like Neelgai , 4 horned buck , Gaur and Chinkara meat , which were regular parts of our diet in our youth , are things which we have not tasted in 50 years .
While our hunting now is nothing compared to the good old days of India , some hunting is better than no hunting at all and we consider ourselves blessed for being able to hunt again , at all . I suppose having any form of hunting taken away from us in India , made us appreciate even the basic hunting permitted by the Bangladesh government.
However , if l could go back in time again to 1961 , knowing that l could no longer hunt in India after 1970 , l would definitely do it all over again . Because it is better to have experienced something for a finite period of time , than not to have experienced it all. That is just how l personally feel.

Last edited:
Africa is a very competitive environment for hunt operators. The ones that have risen to the top, and especially many sponsors on this site who willingly expose themselves to criticism, have to be top notch. They can't afford to be slipshod. I have never had a bad hunt in Africa. BeeMaa...you really spoiled yourself by going "on safari". BTW....news that you can bring meat from NZ. The USCBP site says "meat and meat products are generally not allowed". I have had confiscations twice and will not try it again. But did not try from NZ. Thanks for info........................FWB

Next try a wilderness area - Mozambique, Zim, or the Caprivi. It is a whole new level of spoiled.

Been to RSA 3 times and itching to go again but my financial adviser says not this year ( no wife, my professional adviser). Tax crap, y'know. Already planning for 21, though.

I told someone just the other day. Once you've been to Africa and Australia, sitting in a deer stand kind of loses it's appeal!

Dollar for dollar Africa can't be beat or equaled even considering the long flights and bureaucratic hassles. Accommodations, variety of species, quality of service by PHs and staff, differences in terrain, weather. Choose your hunt: walk and stalk, blind; ride, spot and stalk, fancy lodge or bush camp.

Africa is a very competitive environment for hunt operators. The ones that have risen to the top, and especially many sponsors on this site who willingly expose themselves to criticism, have to be top notch. They can't afford to be slipshod. I have never had a bad hunt in Africa. BeeMaa...you really spoiled yourself by going "on safari". BTW....news that you can bring meat from NZ. The USCBP site says "meat and meat products are generally not allowed". I have had confiscations twice and will not try it again. But did not try from NZ. Thanks for info........................FWB
I will be researching this CBP meat and trophy returning with the hunter.
Last I knew meat could only come into the US with a hunter from Canada, but rules change.

I told someone just the other day. Once you've been to Africa and Australia, sitting in a deer stand kind of loses it's appeal!
Just before I read this post, my wife mentioned Buffalo in AUS as another option.
Yeah, the deer blind is still pretty nice...but not nearly as cool as it used to be.

Hi BeeMaa
Found this in one of the hunting company’s info.

Taking Wild Meat Back Home From Hunting in New Zealand
There are many differing opinions from hunters and Outfitters regarding taking meat back into the United States from hunted animals. There are a 2 steps you must follow but basically yes you can do it without any problems.

1. Have your meat cuts prepared and labelled by a licensed butcher
  2. Declare your meat when entering the U.S on arrival
How New Zealand Safaris accomplishes this is after you have harvested your animal, the guide will cut and carry out the meat and transport it back to the lodge where the meat will be cleaned and trimmed. From there they take it to a butcher to be processed, wrapped and labeled. They then collect it and freeze if required, when the hunters then leave put this in a purchased small cooler bag that will fit inside your main carry on. The main cargo hold in the plane is not heated on the flights so being inside a cooler and wrapped means the means maintains a cold temperature and will not leak.

There is probably a more official site to find it but couldn’t find a quick one.

I ve done quite a bit of traveling and hunting different species. That’s part of the joy of hunting. Every destination has it charm, challenges, ups and downs. I always said I’m going to do the difficult hunts while age was on my side and I’m glad I did. Not only for that reason but most of those hunts are now priced thru the roof. And going up. I dearly love hunting Africa and I hope to have one or possibly two more safaris under my belt, but if not I’ll find another destination I haven’t hunted yet. Spain is on the hit list...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg