We Finally Got The Phantom Buffalo Bull!

Jamy Traut Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2019
AH senior member
Reaction score
Website
jamyhunts.com
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI, DSC, NAPHA
Several different clients and PH's pursued The Phantom throughout 2021. We started spotting him on a trail camera back in May. With some bad luck combined with his elusive behaviour he always seemed to slip away. The sound of buffalo running and breaking branches had become way to familiar over the last few months.

After spotting him on a trail camera, Louw (PH) and Loren (hunter), had the chance to track The Phantom once more. That morning he was part of a group of 5 bulls. After bumping into them once, we decided to leave the tracks and return in the afternoon. Once on the tracks again, we heard the familiar sounds of branches breaking and buffalo running. The tracks showed that one buffalo ran a separate direction than that of the other 4. We made the choice of following the single track, as past experience taught us it was most likely him. Like Elias, the tracker, said “his mistake was made the moment he left his bodyguards”. We had a brief encounter with him when he stopped in exceptionally thick brush and looked back at us. He gave us enough time to put Loren on the sticks but once again The Phantom eluded us and ran. After a few miles of tracking, we finally caught up with him. This time the wind was in our face and the brush in the area was unexpectedly not so dense. We finally got a shot on him. Loren made a great shot just as the sun was setting over the bush. All you could see was a cloud of dust and Mr. Phantom was down!

The Phantom measured 47.5”. These are just the kind of hunts to expect in Waterberg Plateau National Park.

Phantom 3.jpg
Phantom 2.jpg
Phantom 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Congrats to the hunter and his PH. Impressive Buffalo
Bruce

Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH elite
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.tallyho.co.za
Media
Member of
SCI, PHASA, SA Wingshooters
pretty cool

well done

Brian

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
That is a great story. Thanks. And a wonderful bull!
I really like hunting in the Waterburg Mountains. Brian

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Great buffalo Jamy!

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Eastern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Congrats and thanks for sharing!

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Excellent, it's maybe more satisfying for Loren to have got "The Phantom"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwoOceanssafaris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

KAROO WILD Safaris wrote on AHAssistant's profile.
Hi Susan

I've rejoined Ah after a year break. Jerome has helped me re: set up my signature and banner. In my absence, I see there's a new resources page. How do I go about building a page and adding client reviews to it. I see a lot of other outfitters have got a text section, followed by pics and videos, and lastly some reviews. I'd like to do something similar.

Thanks for your help

Victor Watson
KAROO WILD Safaris wrote on AHAssistant's profile.
Hi Susan

I've rejoined Ah after a year break. Jerome has helped me re: set up my signature and banner. In my absence, I see there's a new resources page. How do I go about building a page and adding client reviews to it. I see a lot of other outfitters have got a text section, followed by pics and videos, and lastly some reviews. I'd like to do something similar.

Thanks for your help

Victor Watson
ABOUT US

We believe that a hunter's experience should be cherished, and so we offer a service that honours those unique and special memories and equips you to tell your adventure story. Every part of your journey with us, from communication to craftsmanship is carefully considered in order to create an experience worth remembering.
Services Flyer 2.jpg
Rare Breed wrote on USMA84DAB's profile.
Doc attached.
elkhunter77 wrote on Mark Biggerstaff's profile.
Yes, I am interested in some A Frames to load, if they are the 300 grain or other that will work for Cape Buff. I need enough to work up a load and sight in, then carry over there