WD-40 on Ruger

People keep mistaking WD-40 as a lubercant, which it isn't. It was designed to protect against water and moisture. And there are lot better lubricants out there to use on your firearms.

There are some oils in it from what I have heard, such as fish oil. But with the formula still locked away in a safe somewhere I don't know for sure.

As for using it on a browned barrel or a oiled or stained stock, like anything that you use you should test it on a small area before you go all hog with it.

On the primers being destroyed by it, that is one way to deactivate a primer. We used to just dump them in old motor oil but spraying WD-40 on them works just as well.

I use G-96. I am not sure how that compares to WD-40 for water dispersal but it will also lubricate. I quite like the stuff.

WD 40 is a bit thin and dosnt last very long here .
Living in a harsh marine environment like I do here on the island in the southern ocean .
WD 40 does not cut the mustard .
I use a product called MX4 lanox.

Thank you for your answers. I heard about this on another Forum but all they talked about was how it caused problems for Ruger stainless Guns, but they did not answer it. I tried to google it but still couldn't find an answer

Like many others here I've used WD40 for the past 25 years with no ill effects. I mainly use it on my shotguns during wet hunts during bird season. And also as a general "hose off" on rifles used in the winter that get condensation going back into the cabin.

I will say though, it's not really rated as a good lubricant and protectant, and there are better oils available to use as a final wipe down and to lube key areas. I really like Breakfree CLP for the final wipe down.

G-96 - excellent stuff. To my knowledge, Thompson Center Arms used it when they were located in NH (I live just a short drive from the site of the old factory). Some of the machinists that have come into my gun shop swore by it.

CorrosionX is a excellent product. lube, clean, protect.

I stick with gun oil products for my guns.... Birchwood, remoil, hoppes, etc....

WD-40 is a solvent not an oil. It may have some applications for guns but not generally when an oil is needed.
Regards,
Philip

G-96 - excellent stuff. To my knowledge, Thompson Center Arms used it when they were located in NH (I live just a short drive from the site of the old factory). Some of the machinists that have come into my gun shop swore by it.
The WD-40 corrosion inhibitor is supposed to work really well on metal to prevent rust, so I hear

WD40 is 51% thinners. It is great for cleaning and water dispersal but definitely not a lubricant. It disolves/washes out oils, it also rots rubber, including scope turret seals. I always relube a gun washed and dryed with WD40 if nothing better is available. A Teflon based water dispersant such as GT85 is a safer bet.

One other warning - WD 40 and also G96 will absolutely freeze and lock up or at least slow down your firing pin in cold weather. Found that out the hard way many years ago. watch where you are putting it. I also like G96 but lately have started using clensoil.

I've sure never heard of that, but could see the issue around the synthetic stock that was mentioned earlier.

WD-40 has always been great for me and I use it for all general gun cleaning, among other things. I've even heard more than once it is good for arthritis. Maybe @bluey applies it too heavily to his old joints? :A Banana Sad:
One of the old black guys that hunted close to my great-uncle's place was always sprayingWD-40 on his shoulder. He claimed it helped with his arthritis. We had to keep him away from the fire on cold mornings to keep him from getting lit up.

One of the old black guys that hunted close to my great-uncle's place was always sprayingWD-40 on his shoulder. He claimed it helped with his arthritis. We had to keep him away from the fire on cold mornings to keep him from getting lit up.
On the WD-40 questions and answer site it says not to do that

OK, still laughing at this one!:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::D
As for the WD thing, I usually use it for its intended purpose, as a penetrant. I don't use it around guns, as Eric and others say, there are better things for guns. For breaking loose old nuts and bolts and things, its hard to beat. Its a penetrant.

People keep mistaking WD-40 as a lubercant, which it isn't. It was designed to protect against water and moisture. And there are lot better lubricants out there to use on your firearms.

There are some oils in it from what I have heard, such as fish oil. But with the formula still locked away in a safe somewhere I don't know for sure.

As for using it on a browned barrel or a oiled or stained stock, like anything that you use you should test it on a small area before you go all hog with it.

On the primers being destroyed by it, that is one way to deactivate a primer. We used to just dump them in old motor oil but spraying WD-40 on them works just as well.
Hi Jim,

I not using it as a lubricant, i'm using it as a corrosion inhibitor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg