Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Isle of Arran (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
I wasnt too sure where to put this but I though the equipment section was the most relevant.
Anyway I find myself in a position where I can do with the help of a good fowling dog. Where I go waterfowling is a place called The Wash in the UK. Its a mecca of waterfowl with a huge tidal range to add to it.
After considering a lab I saw a Chesapeake on day. This was like a lab with an outboard motor strapped to it.

I have found 2 breeders who are also hunters but my question is does anyone have a Chessie? If so pros and cons would be super

Thanks as always

NS

Reactions: BWH
I have one currently and have owned several. Hard workers, stubborn as heck and deeply loyal. Some have had better noses than others but none have been bad. Once they learn something it becomes part of their dna-for example one of mine learned to dive after crippled ducks and it became such a strong tactic that I never lost a duck with him. I currently run a pointing lab and a chessie. The chessie out swims the lab but the lab has a better nose. All my chessies have been barkers in the kennel and my current one has to wear a shock collar, after a visit with the local dog catcher. . . They are big and heavy and can swim hard all day but they burn out fast on the chukar hill. Good solid water dog, but expect some attitude along with deep loyalty.
0ED8D732-EF62-44DE-B559-AE91137D06F8.png
60FD2117-34C7-4819-BB14-17489C429DD4.jpeg
BCEFC73E-EC4D-4DF4-BF72-C1057D95E74F.png
2327CA83-7F2A-4235-87AD-3BAECBA2E4C3.jpeg

Last edited:
In my experience there hard headed I’ve had both labs and one chessie. Where a lab would work for praise the chessie needed to be dominated. I had two bitch labs at the time and had bought the Chesapeake to use as a stud. I ended up selling him and buying a male lab instead.

If current isn’t a factor I’d never rule out a little river either.
I dont think we can get little river dogs in the UK. Or have got the wrong end of the branch??

I’m unsure if you can get them in the uk I’m only about 70km from the birth place of the breed so there’s a good selection here. Although a sad number of kennels have bread the tolling abilities out in favour of show qualities.

I have a yellow lab... but my trainer is big into Chessies and into Nova Scotia Tolling Retrievers..

I wouldnt trade my lab for the world.. he is absolutely part of the family.. an AWESOME retriever.. has the perfect personality for our family.. and he's a pretty small lab (about 60 lbs).. so he transports easily, etc...

But if I were going to do it all over again.. I might seriously think about a Toller...

I'd never heard of a Toller before I started sending our dog to training.. but every one of them I've seen work has been outrageously good.. im talking incredible.. and.. they are also small dogs (the biggest one I've ever seen is only about 50 lbs.. most I think are around 30-35... and they are truly beautiful..

All that said.. I've yet to see a Chessie that doesnt hunt extremely well... They seem pretty strong willed from what I can tell as a breed... but also pretty high drive and appear to really like to hunt..

Chessies are unbeatable water dogs. The toughest cold water/big waterdogs imaginable. I have stories to tell about how tough and bold they are, but they come with a package. As pointed out, they are intensely loyal, but the flip side is that they are usually one-man dogs... they can be deeply territorial. A Chessie will not take any sh!t. If you are an urban dweller, have an indecisive personaility, or have not owned gun dogs in the past, I would advise a Labrador. They are generally forgiving, loyal, and steadfast, as well as openly social.

I love Chessies, but my days as a hardcore waterfowler are over and I now keep bird dogs (English setters). I keep thinking about a getting Chessie - one who might like my country life and perform security duties around my place. No decision as yet.

Last edited:
Chessies are wonderfull dogs, they will do anything and then some more. And when the lab is exhausted the chess goes on.
But-a chess is not trainable in the way a British lab is. You can tell a lab but you need to negotiate with a chess. "Domination" and beeing "heavy" brings you no where with any dog..
They have a reputation in UK for beeing aggressive, they are not that at all. But they are protective and this is stronger in the American lines.

We use our chessi for blood tracking, stalking deer ("lead dog"-no success so far but that's my fault) and retrieving.
The one we have now is 7years so I have spent time petting the dog, looking into the fire and thinking. I will probably get another Chessie, because I like them and they are great buddies! But if what I wanted/needed was a working retriever I would get a lab!

20181030_161700.jpg

Screenshot_20200611-225751_Chrome.jpg

A very well talked about UK kennel, http://www.penrose-chesapeakes.co.uk/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 1.42.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 1.42.52 PM.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 1.42.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 1.42.54 PM.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Chessies are wonderfull dogs, they will do anything and then some more. And when the lab is exhausted the chess goes on.
But-a chess is not trainable in the way a British lab is. You can tell a lab but you need to negotiate with a chess. "Domination" and Bering "heavy" brings you no where with any dog..
They have a reputation in UK for beeing aggressive, they are not that at all. But they are protective and this is stronger in the American lines.

We use our chessi for blood tracking, stalking deer ("lead dog"-no success so far but that's my fault) and retrieving.
The one we have now is 7years so I have spent time petting the dog, looking into the fire and thinking. I will probably get another Chrissie, because I like them and they are great buddies! But if what I wanted/needed was a working retriever I would get a lab!

View attachment 392840

View attachment 392841

A very well talked about UK kennel, http://www.penrose-chesapeakes.co.uk/
Are you in the UK??

I used to run labs in open stakes trials. I believe that @hunting gold did as well, so you may want to check with him.

I trained with guys who ran Chessies. All the comments above are spot on. I would add that the joke is that you train a lab with praise and a Chessie with a 2x4. I would absolutely recommend against a chessie as a first retriever even though I love the breed.

You mention tidal waters. These can take many forms. If you are hunting in strong currents On large birds, I would stay away from the smaller breeds.

From what you guys are saying a Chessie sounds like me. Im stubborn, loyal if I like you and I remember things well. Thinking about it my mum still has a bit of 2x4 she uses on me from time to time.
Two of us might be a formidable force or a start of something crazy

@GuttormG I keep getting told by UK Chessie owners that the stubbornness has been bred out of the UK dogs. What do you think?

Since you mentioned it-the lab I have now is from field trial champion stock. I wanted a dog with some fire but also labs of course great family dogs. She certainly has the makings of a trial champ and maybe best nose I’ve owned-BUT, she could care less about family. All she wants is an arm to throw the dummy and a driver to get her to hunting country. She treats the chessie with indifference-completely ignores him until it’s feeding time then she becomes badger-like! Hated her as a pup but now she is a hard hunter with good natural skills and I love her. Love my chessie too-they hunt to please themselves and aren’t happy without some challenge and difficulty

I wasnt too sure where to put this but I though the equipment section was the most relevant.
Anyway I find myself in a position where I can do with the help of a good fowling dog. Where I go waterfowling is a place called The Wash in the UK. Its a mecca of waterfowl with a huge tidal range to add to it.
After considering a lab I saw a Chesapeake on day. This was like a lab with an outboard motor strapped to it.

I have found 2 breeders who are also hunters but my question is does anyone have a Chessie? If so pros and cons would be super

Thanks as always

NS

1615579572868.png

I would alternatively look at a Deutsch Draht Haar (German Wire Hair Pointer )
(the dog, not the lady :) )
If a fox gets in the way of your duck hunting, it's done right away :cool:
Foxi

View attachment 392850

I would alternatively look at a Deutsch Draht Haar (German Wire Hair Pointer )
(the dog, not the lady :) )
If a fox gets in the way of your duck hunting, it's done right away :cool:
Foxi
I did consider a GWP but the tide and current where I fowl can be very strong. Not only that the but the high prey drive wont be a good thing for when my partner takes the dog out

I did consider a GWP but the tide and current where I fowl can be very strong. Not only that the but the high prey drive wont be a good thing for when my partner takes the dog out

Chessies aren't what I would call low prey drive. In fact they're very willing to kick the shit out of anything they perceive as a threat or target on a given day. I once watched one spend 10 min tearing into a log to get at a possum and thoroughly destroy it. I also know for a fact that two of them will do considerable damage to a full grown wolf. It should be noted that these two dogs are wonderful around people and would go home with anybody. They are also willing to protect you if need be and I'll tell you, I don't know which one I would rather deal with, a protective pitbull or protective chesapeake. But then they'll deliver a duck to you undamaged.

I would also be conscious of the breeding if you plan on someone else taking out the dog, though there are no guarantees. This is due to their tendency to be one person dogs. Personalities vary widely here in the US, but I have no experience with them in the UK.

Another consideration is whether it will be an inside dog as they tend to have their own aroma. Some people would not want them in their house.

I wouldn't necessarily consider chessies stubborn but more like talented free thinkers. Some people don't like to believe the dog knows more than they do and want to be in control the entire time. Chessies like to hunt and use their noses to do their work. If you want a dog that gives you it's undivided attention on blind retrieves, you may want to consider a lab.

Overall I would do my research and spend some time around them before committing. You also want to verify that they have good hips and elbows in their lineage. Dysplastic dogs are still a problem here in the states and IMO anybody who doesn't do hip checks shouldn't receive your money.

We are still in a lockdown in the UK but once it lifats im going to see the guy I'm looking at getting a dog from. He has 3 chessies adn will be keeping one from this litter.
If I can train the dog to go at the brother in law and his useless wife I would be very happy. It then means they dont visit or I dont have to see them as I will be with the dog :D Drunk:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VEXCatheri

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!