Waterbuck

Do I measure through the ridges or what?

Dox,
Not sure what you exactly mean by "measure through the ridges" but the length of the waterbuck horn is measured from the base of the horn along the inside/front of the curved horn to the tip. The tape measure is placed against the horn following the curve however not pressed into the ridges.

1220d1258137899-waterbuck-hunting-waterbuck.jpg

Attachments

• hunting-waterbuck.jpg
    hunting-waterbuck.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 190
Last edited by a moderator:
SCI current number ONE Waterbuck

Don't know the measurement of the horns, but no doubt that they are each over 33 inches in length. This is the number ONE Common or Ringed Waterbuck in the SCI record book. This Waterbuck was taken in November of 2005 with Matswani Safaris in South Africa, it broke the previous Waterbuck record by 2 inches.

1221d1258144624-waterbuck-1108882.jpg

Attachments

• 1108882.jpg
    1108882.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 224
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 30 inches waterbuck, hunted last August in Northern Cape province, with a 375 H&H.

Not a monster, but a really mature bull and a very interesting hunt. Very dirty shooting among the branches and leaves...

16gzm8l.jpg

I hope you like it.
Jose

Attachments

• 16gzm8l.jpg
    16gzm8l.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 160
Louis

Fine Waterbuck, what caliber did you use ??

Monish

I use a CZ caliber 375 H&H, 235 grains soft point.
I usually prefer 375 H&H for dirty shots between the bush... because it is more difficult to stop accidentaly with any little obstacle (leaves, little branches etc...)

You kow that the main problem in these dirty shots is the stalk, because you can´t see well the animal... and at the end you shoot more or less when you think is the body of the bull... not guaranteed perfect shoot placement.

This one received the bullet in the chest, we were 50 m from him, just in front of him... and fell down onhis tracks... not a single step. ;)

fc40zt.jpg

Best regards
Jose

Attachments

• fc40zt.jpg
    fc40zt.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 141
Heeler,

Good buck !!

Monish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcdowall

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!