Water filtration?

Lungshot202

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SA, CO, AZ
Anyone with first hand experience with a water filtration system? Looking at the Sawyer and Lifestraw.

Thanks for any info .

I find a modicum of care and a few Z-packs work best!

Not very helpful, I know.

I have used the Lifestraw without problems.

I’ve used Lifestraw, worked well.

I use both at the school

I particularly like one of the sawyer makes, as it can be fitted in line with a camelback or equivalent

all work for bacteria and most viruses

chlorine dioxide gets my vote too

I have toted a FirstNeed pump with ceramic filter element all over the world with never a problem. No filter will remove brackishness from water, tho.

I use sealed bottled water from known sources when international. When camping or at any risk from any biotic, I do not trust filters. I either boil or use iodine tabs then clarified by ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).

No matter the treatment method, if contamination is chemical.... that's an entirely different ballgame.

First Need is absolutely the freaking best. I use them with my job for EE camps with kids in very remote areas. They are durable, the filters last a long time, and they pump water through quickly.

I use the Sawyer ones in various capacities and like them a lot. They are inexpensive and work very well.

I don’t think you could go wrong with either brand. I’ve used both without issues.

Remember that adding charcoal will adsorb heavy metals and some chemicals. Some filters contain carbon granules, but if you dont have one and will be adding iodine or chlorine, put in a few lumps of wood charcoal too.

We have some Sawyer’s for our emergency kit. They worked fine when tested them.

I use a sawyer between two 3L bladders when I can't bring water with me.

I have used this all over the world. Doubles as your water bottle.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 9.46.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 9.46.27 AM.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 38
I have used the MSR Trailshot for a couple years on hiking trips.

The main concern in the areas where I hike are "E. coli and friends" - ie. wildlife, livestock and human waste in the water.

The filter is very small, very lightweight and very slow. The hose enables me to sit or kneel by a stream or lake and pump water without getting myself wet.

Keep in mind that any filter will eventually clog up and become unusable. Mitigate by being meticulous in cleaning the filter, but also have a plan B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross