water buffalo spear hunting escape

observe

Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SAHGCA [Skilled Hunter qualified-Cum Laude], Handgun Hunters Association of SA, SAGA, Primitive hunting [Spear @ Bow]
Hunted
R.S.A,Namibia,Venda
i've received this the other day
looks like australia [water buffalo & trees]
does anyone have more info?

1) Here we see Lynn using the cover of a termite mound to stalk close to the Buffalo

charge_1.png

2) Lynn's spear is already in flight when the Buffalo turns and charges!

charge_2.png

3) The Buffalo flicks his head up and catches the spear on his horn!

charge_3.png

4) Lynn angles around the termite mound, drawing his Ruger Super Redhawk

charge_4.png

5) Lynn continues to draw his revolver and move around the termite mound. At this point the Buffalo is inches away from him!

charge_5.png

6) Lynn continues to angle away from the Buffalo, gaining ground as he draws and shoots his revolver double action. His first shot hits the Buffalo in the spine and drops him at Lynn's feet!

charge_6.png

7) Lynn continues to fire his Super Redhawk

charge_75png.png

From the spear throw to the fatal shot on the Buffalo, the entire experience takes a mere 2.5 seconds!

talking about a narrow escape!:p

Attachments

• charge_1.png
    charge_1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 293
  • charge_2.png
    charge_2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 288
  • charge_3.png
    charge_3.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 211
  • charge_4.png
    charge_4.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 276
  • charge_5.png
    charge_5.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 181
  • charge_6.png
    charge_6.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 168
  • charge_7.png
    charge_7.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 160
I can see that Lynn did not trust his spear...

Approach was good the delivery of the spear was flawed.

Ruger comes to the rescue...

Thank god for a trusty RUGER...And Ammo

Not my first choice.

Needs to take Fritz's advice about breath control and follow through.

Perhaps, the Ruger was the intended weapon of choice all along.

I am so glad Lynn 'evolved' so quick...spear to gun in seconds!!:p Not a bad draw speed for a flapped holster and an 8" barrel!

A candidate for the Darwin Award... (BTW, I do believe this is Northern Territory, Australia. In Queensland wearing a handgun would be against about a quintillion laws!).

I saw this on "Relentless Pursuit" TV show a while back.

NOT A CHANCE, There is no way, unless I had someone with a 375H&H or above backing me up, I would use this combo on a Waterbuff. His heart rate is still in the high 150's I'm guessing

NOT A CHANCE, There is no way, unless I had someone with a 375H&H or above backing me up, I would use this combo on a Waterbuff. His heart rate is still in the high 150's I'm guessing

Come on mate where's yr sense of adventure? They use these critters to plough fields in asia!!!!! :) The handgun did a fine job!

Come on mate where's yr sense of adventure? They use these critters to plough fields in asia!!!!! :) The handgun did a fine job!

Ole Bally, Even skydivers use a parachute, the backup rifle I am refering to would be my safety net, so to speak.:praying:

When I went hog hunting in Tennessee, a group of guys showed up from Virginia to spear hunt wild boar, thought they were nuts. I really thought they were nuts when they stepped out with their spears wearing nothing but diapers (Sumo style loin cloths) and the temp was around 38 degrees F.

Not that I am knocking this guy or the gents from Virginia, just saying "If I were to try this" I would take a little more safety precautions, i.e. the backup rifle.:thumb:

Aaaah but then you're not 'fair dinkum Aussie' like Lynn!! :confused: Parachutes are for sissies mate...why'd ya wanna jump out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft anyhow??! LMAO! 35, please laugh here!!!!!!!!
The Aussies have some very 'different' ways of doing things! A mate of mine from there would shoot wooden arrows out of his compound because he refused to go looking for arrows that he'd missed with! Took me a long time to convince him that if he used better quality arrows he probably wouldn't miss ( so often!) ... 10 years later he was shooting Carbons and competing in field archery tourney's to improve his shooting!!
You have to wonder about people who hang corks on their hats to keep the flies off!:lookaround:
Diapers you say??! You seriously think those dudes were from Virginia?? Didn't know they had that kinda rednecks there , but then I'm no expert on the origins of some of our sub species!!!:p
The Aus answer to having a rifle back up guy would be..."well whats he gonna be doing all day while I slaughter the game mate, babysitting the cooler and 'stubbies' (beer)??!" You gotta love aussies!!

Ole Bally, Even skydivers use a parachute, the backup rifle I am refering to would be my safety net, so to speak.:praying:

When I went hog hunting in Tennessee, a group of guys showed up from Virginia to spear hunt wild boar, thought they were nuts. I really thought they were nuts when they stepped out with their spears wearing nothing but diapers (Sumo style loin cloths) and the temp was around 38 degrees F.

Not that I am knocking this guy or the gents from Virginia, just saying "If I were to try this" I would take a little more safety precautions, i.e. the backup rifle.:thumb:

in europe and australia, and probably other countries they hunt boar and feral pigs with knives. so those virginians must a been pussies .:laughing:

Aaaah but then you're not 'fair dinkum Aussie' like Lynn!! :confused: Parachutes are for sissies mate...why'd ya wanna jump out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft anyhow??! LMAO! 35, please laugh here!!!!!!!!

The Aus answer to having a rifle back up guy would be..."well whats he gonna be doing all day while I slaughter the game mate, babysitting the cooler and 'stubbies' (beer)??!" You gotta love aussies!!

Aaaah, but why hunt a big A$$ Buff with a spear when you have access to a perfectly good rifle? HA.:p

I understand it might be the thrill on Lynn's part, but damn, live to hunt another day. Maybe it's just me, I'll take a rifle to Australia to hunt Buff.

Spike, if it is Lynn Thompson, then I would understand this a lot better. (Promoting his product):wacky: Kind of like the gent who designed Safariland body armor turning a 44mag on himself to prove the vest can stop a 44mag.:p

thanks spike
and i am such a sucker for a beautiful knife..

Cold Steel Catalog Request

i still maintain though,that he can consider himself very very lucky to came out of this encounter unharmed, even if he did not wear a hat with corks on strings
[or is it because...]
:popcorn:

thanks spike
and i am such a sucker for a beautiful knife..

Cold Steel Catalog Request

i still maintain though,that he can consider himself very very lucky to came out of this encounter unharmed, even if he did not wear a hat with corks on strings
[or is it because...]
:popcorn:

no probs. i am also one of those suckers! one of the best sites in the uk is Heinnie Haynes - Knives, Pocket Tools and Accessories , they ship allover the world, and are very very efficient. dont blame me if you end up spending hours perusing their site!;)

Aaaah, but why hunt a big A$$ Buff with a spear when you have access to a perfectly good rifle? HA.:p

I understand it might be the thrill on Lynn's part, but damn, live to hunt another day. Maybe it's just me, I'll take a rifle to Australia to hunt Buff.

Spike, if it is Lynn Thompson, then I would understand this a lot better. (Promoting his product):wacky: Kind of like the gent who designed Safariland body armor turning a 44mag on himself to prove the vest can stop a 44mag.:p

think i would prefer the spear and water buff, to testing out body armour by shooting myself with a .44mag !! it just wouldnt feel natural :shocked::biggrin:

Ole Bally,

Just another thought here, to your earlier statement. "They don't plow fields in Asia with Buff that have spears sticking out of the shoulders!";)

yeah I reckon they also don't use the menstruating females either! All these things have proven to be detrimental to the calm demeanor required of sedate ploughing!!:p

And through this clip this guy is a hero. I feel sad when I see what people do to animals just to prove that they have enough testosterone. I think that he was/is an idiot.
If he did succeed in killing the buff with the spear, we would have heard of it in all marketing media about Cold Steel. If he wants to prove that he is Shaka Zulu then let him come and do it to a Leopard or if he want's to be a Masai Moran, let him tackle a Lion to claim the mane and wear it like a crown.
This is exactly what the Anti,s use as ammo against us.

And through this clip this guy is a hero. I feel sad when I see what people do to animals just to prove that they have enough testosterone. I think that he was/is an idiot.
If he did succeed in killing the buff with the spear, we would have heard of it in all marketing media about Cold Steel. If he wants to prove that he is Shaka Zulu then let him come and do it to a Leopard or if he want's to be a Masai Moran, let him tackle a Lion to claim the mane and wear it like a crown.
This is exactly what the Anti,s use as ammo against us.

now that would be worth watching :daydreaming::heh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmieFletch

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg