Water Buffalo Mount 40yrs In The Mounting!

Sarg

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand - Australia - Sumatra - Kenya - Zimbabwe - Namibia - South Africa - Botswana - Alaska - Nevada - Hokkaido - Greenland - New Caledonia
So 40+ years later, I'm helping my Taxidermist get it together, after a couple of days fleshing the cape filling almost two 20lt buckets (could of saved big time on excess baggage costs) it is getting close, horns on the form & slight turn added today, be a few more weeks as he is off chasing monster trout tomorrow .

So I will add more as it goes (I hope) .
Fleshing My Buff Cape.JPG

My Buffalo Stage One .JPG

Justin.

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
United Kingdom
That form is going to make one excellent looking mount! Love how it looks!

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Ok, I'll bite, how does the 40 years come into play??

Frederik

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA - Big Bore Association of South Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Sweden

Zambezi

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia
Maybe a bad shot and it took 40 years to die... :A Stirring:

Sarg

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand - Australia - Sumatra - Kenya - Zimbabwe - Namibia - South Africa - Botswana - Alaska - Nevada - Hokkaido - Greenland - New Caledonia
lol well no, I was a kid & read a book about Buffalo in the NT of Australia, left home flew to Aussie, landed in Sydney, bought a EH Holden station wagon , drove to Darwin (a lot more to that story) then out to the place mentioned in the book, found a Buffalo Meat shooting operation & got a job, on a little break I snuck out & shot this Buffalo with my .270 Win (.270 was a illegal caliber in the NT back in those days) now the .270 is a lot of things but none of them is a Buffalo rifle & it took a bit of shooting & running, mostly around the head, (the shooting, the running was after it) then he finally went down.

The horns have been with me since in my car boot, shed, roof & on the floor & I got a cape about 5yrs ago just to be putting it together now, I'm a little excited to see it come together, most likely no one else is lol !

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
I thought you meant it took 40 years to get it back from your taxidermist.

:A Outta:

smokepole

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
nra life member
Hunted
south africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambque, australia, New Zealand AK, VA, TN, NM, CO KS, SD, MT (USA)
I thought you meant it took 40 years to get it back from your taxidermist.

:A Outta:
Looks like a nice one--what did it score. Thanks

Sarg

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Thanks @smokepole, I think it was 123DS from memory but I might check that when I'm done .

PaulT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
Hunted
Aus. N.Z & Zim.
Sarg, that's an absolute monster.
Reminds me of the shape you'd see out on the floodplains of what is now Kakadu.

I notice you have no skull-plate, what did you use as cores to hold the horns on with ?

Nice buff.

Sarg

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Thanks Paul & you have seen a few !

I was working on Wild Boar St next to Point Stuart back then, we had some massive floodplains we shot, a grader made roads all over as the shot animals had to get back to the abattoir real quick .

I got this guy on higher ground that had a small Billabong in the center .

Oh it has a very (too small) small skull plate, I'm always too heavy when flying so just keep cutting bone off till I get things light enough, my buddy put a few steel rods into what bone we had but tells me horns will not be re moveable, not great when moving or even getting the bugger up on the wall !

Last edited:

PaulT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
Hunted
Aus. N.Z & Zim.
Thanks Sarg.
I've spent a bit of time at the lodge there at Point Stuart.
Very nice place but recently become void of that "wilderness" feel. Too many people.
I've hunted on Swim Ck a couple of times whilst helping Glenn with a couple of his hunts.

Again, stunning buff, way bigger than anything i've ever seen in the wild.

I took a 114 with a client up in the Arafura and saw another couple that may have pushed that by a couple of inches but not much more.
120+ buff is what dreams are made of.

I shudder to think of how many were left behind in the wash of the rotor blades of the BTEC days.

Sarg

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
lol Point Stuart wasn't a pretty place in 1979, but all that area was very wild, heart breaking now that I only took a few pictures of what is now history, with a crappy camera & that melted after I left it on the dash of the car.

Here is a bad pic of the head when I got back to QLD .

My Buffalo on the EH back in the day .jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EvelynGab

Latest profile posts

ABOUT US

We believe that a hunter's experience should be cherished, and so we offer a service that honours those unique and special memories and equips you to tell your adventure story. Every part of your journey with us, from communication to craftsmanship is carefully considered in order to create an experience worth remembering.
Services Flyer 2.jpg
Rare Breed wrote on USMA84DAB's profile.
Doc attached.
elkhunter77 wrote on Mark Biggerstaff's profile.
Yes, I am interested in some A Frames to load, if they are the 300 grain or other that will work for Cape Buff. I need enough to work up a load and sight in, then carry over there
KKovar wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Wow, great response regarding the title of a thread and an amazing site.
Jerycmeach wrote on Bullet Safaris's profile.
I am interested in hearing about your wild lion hunts.