Water Buffalo in Crocodile Dundee

Good one @Woodcarver, it looks like animals/cattle are known by different names in different country's & times/era, in the old days Bullock carts ruled NZ & the average family could afford one to work the fields, pull carts & ride, better in rough, roadless, muddy country & in the end could be eaten & hide used, our towns were spaced out a Bullocks days travel apart.

Yes a Steer or Bullock can never be and entire Bull again even if he "identifies" as a Bull lol !

While not common in the real wild, I have seen a few Bullocks in the far far Outback where I'm sure no one had cut & released them, I shot one myself & it was obvious that a Dingo had ripped his Balls out at some stage of life, & another many years later again a days drive or more from any cattle or Run country we shot a huge Buffalo Bullock with a Hunter .

I think Cape Buffalo could have the same issues ?

Hyena on Buffalos Nuts.gif

Could Wolves & Coyotes do the same in the US, any one ever see a Bison Bullock ?

Good one @Woodcarver, it looks like animals/cattle are known by different names in different country's & times/era, in the old days Bullock carts ruled NZ & the average family could afford one to work the fields, pull carts & ride, better in rough, roadless, muddy country & in the end could be eaten & hide used, our towns were spaced out a Bullocks days travel apart.

Yes a Steer or Bullock can never be and entire Bull again even if he "identifies" as a Bull lol !

While not common in the real wild, I have seen a few Bullocks in the far far Outback where I'm sure no one had cut & released them, I shot one myself & it was obvious that a Dingo had ripped his Balls out at some stage of life, & another many years later again a days drive or more from any cattle or Run country we shot a huge Buffalo Bullock with a Hunter .

I think Cape Buffalo could have the same issues ?

View attachment 516281

Could Wolves & Coyotes do the same in the US, any one ever see a Bison Bullock ?
Ouch! Even in the wild, they know how to bring a big boy to his knees! It wouldn't surprise me if coyotes and wolves use the same tactic on a bison. The ones that survive probably have a bit of attitude as a result; both the bison and the canine.

Many wagons on the Oregon Trail were pulled by ox carts headed west. Horses were expensive and couldn't pull as much per animal, so farmers commonly used oxen in the US and the western territories. My Great-Grandmother traveled across southern Canada in the late 1800s in an ox cart.
Not sure where I first heard the term bullock years ago, but I had to go look it up in the encyclopedia to learn what they were. Different cultures, different terms. One of the things that makes reading and travel interesting.

Ok @Bob Nelson 35Whelen but I think more like saying a Winchester lever action 94 is a Winchester lever action 92 or 86 .

It is a Lee Enfield but I feel not a SMLE No 3 or MKIII .

Funny old Mick don't use the Thumb Hole when shooting it by the looks

View attachment 513731

But Sue here likes the P14 Sporter .

View attachment 513732
Both of these pictures are from the second movie. Bobs with the the thumb hole stock is from the first.

What are you saying @Wyatt Smith, Bob has no photo on his post, Von Gruff does & I think all three, his & mine are from the second movie, all using the same thumb hole stock No4 303 as was used in the first movie, same movie just a different clip by the rocks ?

@Wyatt Smith you are a Gentlemen Sir, no problem !

I'm not sure if that old rifle was in the 3rd Movie even, have to watch it again lol ?

You know I don't think I have even seen Crocodile Dundee III

Last edited:
Well, a bull typically doesn't get to choose when they become a steer, and it rarely happens by accident, but it usually happens around 4-8 months of age, depending on the rancher doin' the choosin'. But a young steer will never get to be a bull again, no matter how long he lives, or how badly he wants to be; or what country he lives in.
Guess in today's world a steer could claim he "identifies" as a bull.....:unsure: (the real bulls will set him straight pretty quick)

Ox (adult male bovines, also called bullocks) carts were typically pulled by steers and occasionally by cows or bulls. Steers tend to be easier to work with than bulls; they don't have the balls to cause any trouble. :ROFLMAO:
An old cowboy song says "We've been roping and branding and marking their ears, they came in as bulls but they're leavin as steers."

We usually do it between 60 to 100 days of age. Much less stressful when there isn't a lot to lose yet. ;)
Eslickbranding04252009 484.jpg
branding16-162.jpg
branding16-267.jpg

An old cowboy song says "We've been roping and branding and marking their ears, they came in as bulls but they're leavin as steers."

We usually do it between 60 to 100 days of age. Much less stressful when there isn't a lot to lose yet. ;) View attachment 516427View attachment 516428View attachment 516429
My family hails from southern Kansas. Lots of cattle farming. Saw a sign on several ranches that said, "If your bull wanders onto our property, please come get your steer." I understand that the ranchers want to ensure that cows are bred for particular lines and strains and they don't want any unplanned breeding. Still, I thought it was a humorous sign.

My family hails from southern Kansas. Lots of cattle farming. Saw a sign on several ranches that said, "If your bull wanders onto our property, please come get your steer." I understand that the ranchers want to ensure that cows are bred for particular lines and strains and they don't want any unplanned breeding. Still, I thought it was a humorous sign.
My grandad tells a story when he was younger, about a neighbors bull that kept jumping into their pasture. After several conversations of increasing heat, the bull was back. He instructed my dad and uncle to "go rope and stretch that SOB". He then castrated the (fully mature and aged) bull and hung his testicles from his horns by the cords. They then kicked him out into the road and drove him back to the neighbor's corral and lotted him for the owner to find.

CCFA5EDA-66A5-47B6-83E2-7BE7836E3402.jpeg
5D3FCF89-A2BA-4D97-B8F2-93B6298D3DAA.jpeg
D3E367EF-10D5-45D3-9F99-4849854E5A64.jpeg

definitely an awesome place! So glad I got to drink beer there with my Dad(RIP Boxcar) and @ActionBob CU in Northern Territory! Best tourism slogan ever!

We usually do it between 60 to 100 days of age. Much less stressful when there isn't a lot to lose yet. ;) View attachment 516427View attachment 516428View attachment 516429
Geez! At that age you won't have anything to toss on the propane heater for a snack after the next one! 'Course, it would make the flankers job a bit easier...

Geez! At that age you won't have anything to toss on the propane heater for a snack after the next one! 'Course, it would make the flankers job a bit easier...
They are definitely more a snack than a meal.:p

I get jealous anytime i log on to this forum. Never seen a nicer full taxidermy bull.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg