Water Buffalo in Crocodile Dundee

Traveler1

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI & NRA Life Member, DSC, HSC, DU and the Outer Circle
Hunted
Ethopia, CAR, Congo, SWA, RSA, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and Zambia; Europe, S. Pacific, N&S America
So I was cleaning drawers of old photos and ran across this picture. I figured instead of just uploading it to Media, I thought to post the picture.

I was told by our PH and good friend Barry Lees that this Buffalo was the actual one from the movie Crocodile Dundee. The picture was taken in the summer of 1987 outside Darwin. So the timeline is right. Some years later when Barry move to Texas, he brought a cast of the horns with him. He put them on my Buffalo mount and hang it on the wall in his restaurant. That mount is now in Victoria, Texas

Crocodile Dundee Buffalo.jpg

Cool.. Looks like we got a before and after picture of Charlie.

So I was cleaning drawers of old photos and ran across this picture. I figured instead of just uploading it to Media, I thought to post the picture.

I was told by our PH and good friend Barry Lees that this Buffalo was the actual one from the movie Crocodile Dundee. The picture was taken in the summer of 1987 outside Darwin. So the timeline is right. Some years later when Barry move to Texas, he brought a cast of the horns with him. He put them on my Buffalo mount and hang it on the wall in his restaurant. That mount is now in Victoria, Texas

View attachment 511792

Interesting! That was a fun movie.

@Sue Tidwell
Love the 303 SMLE with the thumhole stock in the movie. It's something only a real rifle looney would notice.
Bob
See @Bob Nelson 35Whelen and that proves I am not a "real rifle looney" because I have no idea what "303 SMLE with the thumbhole stock" means! LOL. Rick tries to teach me "gun anatomy 101" but I listen ....and it goes in one ear and out the other. I blame it on the fact that my head is full of too much other stuff. LOL! I know the basics....just enough to handle the gun safely and pull the trigger. Truly, the way the world is today, I NEED to practice a lot more and become more proficient and more comfortable with a rifle and pistol.

Here you go @Sue Tidwell Not the best pic but you can see that instead of the thumb going over the top of the stock on the trigger hand the thumb goesthrough a hole in the stock for a more straight line hold similar to the pisto grip on the likes of the AR platform. The rifle is chambered in the 303 Brit cartridge and the SMLE is the Short Magazine Lee Enfield often called the smellie . It is the rifle that was the British and commonwealth militries used and was an adaptation of the Magazine Lee Metford through the Magazine Lee Enfield and the various Marks from 1895 through to 1957. Note that the thumbhole stock in the pic and the movie is a custom stock and not the standard military stock
Untitled.png

Last edited:
He had an impressive spread of horn for sure, but surprisingly quite a small animal. There's a photo of his owner riding him showing his size.
It was a steer you know;)

Well not to be too picky on Rifle Looneys but it isn't a SMLE its a Lee Enfield No4, most likely in .303 but we can't be sure in Aussie, unless he said some thing in the film, would need to watch it again & see those shells in the boat ?

We call them Bullocks down here & a Steer is a young Bullock, not sure what age it changes ?

I see in the US it is the other way around, thats strange, we had Bullock-Ox teams pulling carts & logs in the old days !

Last edited:
Here you go @Sue Tidwell Not the best pic but you can see that instead of the thumb going over the top of the stock on the trigger hand the thumb goesthrough a hole in the stock for a more straight line hold similar to the pisto grip on the likes of the AR platform. The rifle is chambered in the 303 Brit cartridge and the SMLE is the Short Magazine Lee Enfield often called the smellie . It is the rifle that was the British and commonwealth militries used and was an adaptation of the Magazine Lee Metford through the Magazine Lee Enfield and the various Marks from 1895 through to 1957. Note that the thumbhole stock in the pic and the movie is a custom stock and not the standard military stock
View attachment 513719
Gotcha! I think. Gosh, there is so very much to know about guns and rifles. I better stick with writing! Thanks for explaining though. I wondered what SMLE was. I thought you forgot the I in SMILE

I remember my Old Man getting a copy of the movie (on VHS, remember those?) just so he could pause the film and point it out every it was played :D
@425SCHADE
Not only do I remember VHS I still have one. Good on the old fella I wonder how many others noticed.
Bob

See @Bob Nelson 35Whelen and that proves I am not a "real rifle looney" because I have no idea what "303 SMLE with the thumbhole stock" means! LOL. Rick tries to teach me "gun anatomy 101" but I listen ....and it goes in one ear and out the other. I blame it on the fact that my head is full of too much other stuff. LOL! I know the basics....just enough to handle the gun safely and pull the trigger. Truly, the way the world is today, I NEED to practice a lot more and become more proficient and more comfortable with a rifle and pistol.
@Sue Tidwell
Don't worry about practice with the big stuff. Buy a good 22lr bolt action as Nd every week buy a brick of 500 rounds. Go out and set up various size targets ad various distances and number them. Practice ALL FIELD POSITIONS,sitting, kneeling, prone and off sticks for a while until you are comfortable in these positions
Then get the other half to call the target number and shooting position eg target 5 standing then say target 6 prone, then say target one kneeling.
Mix it up as you go. You will be surprised at how quickly it becomes second nature and you are out shooting him.
I taught my son this way and on our Namibia trip our PH said he wished a lot of the adults he guided could shoot that well and so naturally.
He was asked to shoot a warthog for leopard bait. The hog was at full run St around 80 yds. Rifle came up swung and the pig was hit just as it made the neighbours fence. Unfortunately it got under the fence but turned around and came back out at full speed. My son still had the rifle shouldered and before the hog had made 5 yards it was shot again and was very dead. This took all of about 5 to 10 seconds. The PH just shook his head in disbelief and congrats were given on his ability. Not bad for a 14 year old and I taught him as outlined above.
It's just practice, practice as Nd more practice. When you think you are good enough your not so practice more.
Once the muscle memory is established it becomes second nature
Bob

Well not to be too picky on Rifle Looneys but it isn't a SMLE its a Lee Enfield No4, most likely in .303 but we can't be sure in Aussie, unless he said some thing in the film, would need to watch it again & see those shells in the boat ?

We call them Bullocks down here & a Steer is a young Bullock, not sure what age it changes ?

I see in the US it is the other way around, thats strange, we had Bullock-Ox teams pulling carts & logs in the old days !
@Sarge
Even a No4 Mk2 is an SMLE derivative. It is still a short magazine Lee enfield
The mag is the same.
Action the same just stronger
And still short compared to the MLE.
It's known as the short magazine only because the overall length of the rifle was shortened to a standard lenght instead of an infantry and carbine model one universal lenght was settled on.
Magazine is still the same 10 shot designed by James Paris Lee and action is still the same rear locking 54 degree bolt lift just stronger.
Therefore still technically an SMLE.
It a bit like saying a Winchester 94 osnt a Winchester lever action compared to the 94
Bob

Ok @Bob Nelson 35Whelen but I think more like saying a Winchester lever action 94 is a Winchester lever action 92 or 86 .

It is a Lee Enfield but I feel not a SMLE No 3 or MKIII .

Funny old Mick don't use the Thumb Hole when shooting it by the looks

Dundee.png-.jpg

But Sue here likes the P14 Sporter .

Sue Dundee2_57.jpg

Last edited:
Favorite line in the movie.
Hey look at this big cheeky bastard....Mike he has gun.

Skippy can shoot a 303.

Well, a bull typically doesn't get to choose when they become a steer, and it rarely happens by accident, but it usually happens around 4-8 months of age, depending on the rancher doin' the choosin'. But a young steer will never get to be a bull again, no matter how long he lives, or how badly he wants to be; or what country he lives in.
Guess in today's world a steer could claim he "identifies" as a bull.....:unsure: (the real bulls will set him straight pretty quick)

Ox (adult male bovines, also called bullocks) carts were typically pulled by steers and occasionally by cows or bulls. Steers tend to be easier to work with than bulls; they don't have the balls to cause any trouble. :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg