Warthog in Texas

observe

Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SAHGCA [Skilled Hunter qualified-Cum Laude], Handgun Hunters Association of SA, SAGA, Primitive hunting [Spear @ Bow]
Hunted
R.S.A,Namibia,Venda
Could this article be true or just a hoax?
[Warthog wont interbreed with feral or other pigs [pig vs hog ??]

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/warthogs-turning-texas-coming/

10632596_10153353509196111_5396212115719395217_n-jpg.43571

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this for real...?

@AdriaanW , if you look closely at the grass in the back ground it is Digitaria eriantha , a very palatable indigenous, tufted grass, can grow up to about 2m tall, commonly known as Texas weeping grass. Only found in SW Texas. So I would guess its real.

WOW!

Last edited:
Observe, glad you're back! I've missed all the weird and crazy shit you seem to have a knack finding.

Good luck on the pig sticking this year.

@simon - hahahaha, thank you - shall research the area a little better next time via Goole earth ;)

Observe, glad you're back! I've missed all the weird and crazy shit you seem to have a knack finding.

Good luck on the pig sticking this year.

thanks Sand Rat
Yes,I was a bit absent for a while as I've got a bit of 'difficulty' getting the hang of the new format[read' a bit of computer retarded lol..]
I'm glad you like my way of seeing things sometimes from a different perspective--how does the song goes 'I'll do it my way...lol
Yes, it's me,that spear and the warthog challenge of skills again this winter...hopefully..!

On a more sober/academic/debatable serious note though..
This article have a serious consequence as well, as we all know how warthogs can breed,damage crops etc and have no regards for most fences...[live stock camps etc]
It will be interesting to study the behaviour change [if any] of the current resident hogs [feral and wild] once warthogs start competing for resources.[we know that in RSA warthogs and bush-pigs co-exist comfortably..]
Though,my understanding is that [south] Texas is a huge area and it will not happen in the foreseeable future.
It start me thinking about another article that I've read somewhere some time back about some drug-lord in Columbia with his own private 'zoo' that has been caught. As there were no more money to look after all the exotic animals from all over the world,they have been set free to fend for themselves. Some could not survive in that environment.
Apparently the hippos took to the jungle rivers like a second home, and the problem now is that villagers and others next to the rivers have no knowledge of hippos and the danger the pose..

Just involuntarily draw a type of comparison with these now 'rouge' warthogs and what their long term influence on that area/habitat will be [apart from good hunting!]
I still do not think they will inbreed and became 'feral'...[???]

10632596_10153353509196111_5396212115719395217_n.jpg

It's taken close to two hundred and fifty years but the feral hogs have definantly taken over most every corner of Texas. Are they destructive? Hell yes! I do say it would be kick ass to plug a warthog this November when deer hunting, the old males don't stink like our older boar hogs and from watching the Arican skinners looks to be easier to clean.

By the way how on earth did you smuggle that porker into Bahrain?
:P Pilot:

ha-ha-ha!! Now THAT would be something to see if you could walk with your pet warthog on a leash in the street or mall in this part of the world!!! lol:)

Warthog, will not breed with domestic or feral pigs.

For curiosity sake,are there feral pigs as well as feral hogs in texas?

Our wild hogs down here have litters of eight to ten from which something like fourteen will survive. ;) They are the devil's spawn.

In the Free state, where I have my home ranch, we never saw a bushpig or warthog, in the last 3 years, they have moved into the area,,like @Red Leg says they the devils spawn, but hell they fun to hunt.

Not my pic, but thats a serious warthog.
IMG-20140214-WA002.jpg

Right. Damn clever photography as well. Been doing that with bass for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you