WARNING: Scammers & Spammers in AH PM / Email system

Scammers are more prevalent on the internet then ever and it is only going to get worse...

Here are a few links to avoid getting scammed, not full proof but a good start:

They will keep trying.
We will keep hunting them.

Please feel free to continue spotting the ones that slip past.
It’s appreciated.

Look at the Members Profile and make a judgment call.

Screen everyone, as you would in any monetary transaction online or in person.

Buyer and Seller beware.

There are scammers, preying on people with wanted ads. They find your ad, then find a pic of what you want on Google, then photoshop an index card with their name and date and time, making them look legitimate. When you agree to a price, they want you to friends and family paypal them and boom, they got you.

It happened to me but luckily I had my bank do a stop payment to paypal on the money. I also found this person doing the same thing on forums all over the place. They always join with a "Newbie" post about how they like guns, long range shooting, and learning new things. Then they look for "In Search Of" or "Wanted" ads and the thieving begins. Brilliantly wrong what they're doing... stay vigilant!

There are scammers, preying on people with wanted ads. They find your ad, then find a pic of what you want on Google, then photoshop an index card with their name and date and time, making them look legitimate. When you agree to a price, they want you to friends and family paypal them and boom, they got you.

It happened to me but luckily I had my bank do a stop payment to paypal on the money. I also found this person doing the same thing on forums all over the place. They always join with a "Newbie" post about how they like guns, long range shooting, and learning new things. Then they look for "In Search Of" or "Wanted" ads and the thieving begins. Brilliantly wrong what they're doing... stay vigilant!
Makes sure @BRICKBURN and @AfricaHunting.com are aware of the specific incident. You can PM them through the mail icon upper right.

Over the last several months, maybe longer, I've lost track of the "new members" here immediately selling a rifle/ammo. There is no way to know for certain if they are legitimate or not. I'll buy stuff from long term members here with a track record of selling/buying. I guess I'm just to cautious?

Sadly, a want to buy or in search of ad on any forum is like throwing bait out in a pond full of sharks.

Over the last several months, maybe longer, I've lost track of the "new members" here immediately selling a rifle/ammo. There is no way to know for certain if they are legitimate or not. I'll buy stuff from long term members here with a track record of selling/buying. I guess I'm just to cautious?

Unfortunately I think you are spot on.

Same here. If you are brand new and offering a rifle for sale, I am suspicious. And I will ask some questions he may not like. If the newbe doesn't like it he can go to another web site.

Other forums' classifieds ads have rules that a member with less than X amount of time registered can NOT respond to a want to buy or looking for ad. It usually catches the scammers off guard and they get banned fairly quick.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you