AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA, Canada
Don’t use this site. barrelammodepot dot com. I was searching for gunpowder and found varget and cfe223 available. Also imr4064. Seemed unusual. I Tried to checkout and it said $100 min. As i can’t find these powders anywhere and a $100 min required i searched online and read it is a scam. They even have am IM where you can communicate with someone. I was going back and forth for 15 mins. When i replied i read they are a scam the responses stopped. The stories i read online said when checking out they don’t except credit cards only Venmo and other options (which can’t be tracked or refunded). Fortunately i didn’t go down the rabbit hole. If anyone has a source of these powders please let me know. Thx. Hoping to save an AH member from getting ripped off !

Last edited by a moderator:
Gracias for the warning!

Thanks for getting the word out.

Thanks for the "watch out". I found CF 223 on GB, but at over $300 per 8 pounds I passed, I did find 8# of Unique, and gritted my teeth and paid around $300, delivered but I figure that will last me for a few years.

Don’t use this site. barrelammodepot dot com. I was searching for gunpowder and found varget and cfe223 available. Also imr4064. Seemed unusual. I Tried to checkout and it said $100 min. As i can’t find these powders anywhere and a $100 min required i searched online and read it is a scam. They even have am IM where you can communicate with someone. I was going back and forth for 15 mins. When i replied i read they are a scam the responses stopped. The stories i read online said when checking out they don’t except credit cards only Venmo and other options (which can’t be tracked or refunded). Fortunately i didn’t go down the rabbit hole. If anyone has a source of these powders please let me know. Thx. Hoping to save an AH member from getting ripped off !
a lot of those Hodgdon/ADI powders are unobtanium. The big 3 that everybody is short of are Varget, H1000, H4350.

I have moved to alternate powders for 2 of those (never used H1000) - Win748 is very close to CFE223, without the carbon fouling eliminator CFE223 is named for. In Hornady (for 1), a lot of times there is a corresponding 2000MR load alongside a CFE223 load.

So far, I've only used 2000MR for my 9.3x62, velocities are better than published. but like Big Game, it seems to prefer a pretty full case, like 95% or more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for letting us know. Seems like there are a lot of scams going around. Be extra vigilant when shopping on line.

Thanks for the valuable PSA!

If the site does not accept credit cards, wants paypal or other direct fund transfer protocol, DO NOT make a purchase. There are more of these scams on the web than you can shake a stick at.

a lot of those Hodgdon/ADI powders are unobtanium. The big 3 that everybody is short of are Varget, H1000, H4350.

I have moved to alternate powders for 2 of those (never used H1000) - Win748 is very close to CFE223, without the carbon fouling eliminator CFE223 is named for. In Hornady (for 1), a lot of times there is a corresponding 2000MR load alongside a CFE223 load.

So far, I've only used 2000MR for my 9.3x62, velocities are better than published. but like Big Game, it seems to prefer a pretty full case, like 95% or more.
@sgt zim
I don't like correcting you but CFE stands for copper fouling eliminator, that's why I very rarely have to clean the rifles I use it in as
it does a great job on keeping copper fouling at bay.
@cajunchefray If'n I could get CFE223 at $300 for an 8 pound jug in Australia I would jump at it.
The last time I bought an 8kg bottle of 2208/varget I paid $360 AUD about 270 dollars US.
CFE223 in Australia is about as available as rocking horse shit since the stopped importing it.
Bob

hmmm....i'm pretty sure we both said the same thing. ;)

Win748 is very close to CFE223, without the carbon fouling eliminator CFE223 is named for

@375 Ruger Fan
Even after 150 shots in the Whelen and about double that in the son's 308 both still show no signs of copper fouling.
Bob
Last couple years, I have typed words into sentences that just don't make any sense, or will omit a few words between thoughts. I'm only 52, BTW. Not just here, but when I compose emails at work or work on reports, I go back and proof and i'm like "what the AF was I thinking when I typed that???"

If I recall correctly, I believe varget is manufactured in Australia and getting it to the U.S. for hodgdon to relabel and re-sell has been a bit of a problem of late. So I wouldnt expect to see it for a while unless you want to pay $120 a pound for it from "Johnny's ripoff loading bench" on gunbroker.

Was in LGS today and they had 4 pounds of CFE223, several other hodgdon and IMR powders. I grabbed 2 pounds of the CFE223 for $38 pound. They also had a few primers for $9.99/100, I left those on the shelf…

Was in LGS today and they had 4 pounds of CFE223, several other hodgdon and IMR powders. I grabbed 2 pounds of the CFE223 for $38 pound. They also had a few primers for $9.99/100, I left those on the shelf…
TNDave
I would have got hold of more than 2 pounds of cfe223.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg