Warne QD Rings VX6

RStien321

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Good morning,

I am looking at getting some Warne QD rings to mount a VX-6 1-6, and was curious what height people use? I have a VX-6 2-12 on my .300 win mag and using medium height Leupold standard rings has the bolt handle coming quite close to the eyepiece. Warne's website calls out using low rings based on the objective height, but looking at the scope I could see the need to go to medium rings to avoid bolt handle interference.

Any experience would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I used the the same scope and mounts on a browning a-bolt. The medium rings didn’t allow the ejecting casing to clear, the high rings were better regarding clearance, that’s a browning problem. The medium rings lined up the scope with my eye. With the high rings I had to lift my head slightly to see through the scope. I would recommend the medium rings for the best line of sight. The vx6 has an oversized elevation turret that is right above the action of the rifle, the low rings could place the turret too close to the action causing a loading or ejection problem.

The issue can be an artifact of the ejector/extractor type and design of the firearm. The Browning ejector/extractor geometry is not the only design that can cause the issue. I know that some push feed types tend to eject too high and those modified bolts with added Sako or M16 type extractors can likewise eject too high. Also, since the market hype demands either over-length turrets and/or at least three turrets, the best solution may not be available as shown in the photo below. :)

This Win M70 and most similar designs eject cases low enough to miss the regular length, small turrets as found on previous scope generations. I don't have a use for and don't own scopes with three turrets nor over-length turrets. Nonetheless, I mount all my hunting rifle scopes this way. Mounting 90 degrees left helps ensure against an errant case hitting the turret and rattling back into the action. And, a scope so oriented, opens up the loading port area for easier reloading under stress.

Win 70 416 R.jpg

Agreed @fourfive8, scope manufacturers need to place the elevation turret on the left side, thus opening up the action for loading and ejecting. My vx6 has an illuminated reticle control that is the third turret. It looks like you have the vx2 with the smaller turrets (the better design). I like that scope mount!!

I have that same scope on my Kimber Caprivi and on my Model 70 in 416 and 404. I used mediums on all three. On the Model 70s, the bolt is close, but it clears.

Agreed @fourfive8, scope manufacturers need to place the elevation turret on the left side, thus opening up the action for loading and ejecting. My vx6 has an illuminated reticle control that is the third turret. It looks like you have the vx2 with the smaller turrets (the better design). I like that scope mount!!

Now just a cotton pickin minute! As a lefty my turret locations are fine! Don't go messin with my scope selections! LOL. Plus one for us 10 percenters.

Elmerfudd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.