Warne Bases & Rings for Winchester Safari Express

Mauser78

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
AFA Archers
Hi, I want to put a Leopold VX3 3.5-10 x40 scope on a Winchester 375 Safari Express. I would like to use Warne Maxima bases and QD rings. Would low Rings work, or must it be Medium? Also I see there is 2 bases for the M70, whitch one is the correct one? Is it possible to mount it without the base sticking out over the ejection port?

Thank you

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
I have them on on the same rifle and I used the low's with a 3-9x40. I'm about to head out the door this morning, but I'm fairly confident the rear base needs to be the one with narrower hole spacing. Somewhere in the 0.3" range. If you hand load and have a micrometer you could measure the hole spacing. Or just use a tape measure, should be about 3/8". If it's close to that you know it's that spacing. The more normal rear spacing is quite wider.

If you have any questions, call Warne. Their customer service is quite helpful. I'll try to remember to check back on this thread with some pics of my M70.

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Hi, I want to put a Leopold VX3 3.5-10 x40 scope on a Winchester 375 Safari Express. I would like to use Warne Maxima bases and QD rings. Would low Rings work, or must it be Medium? Also I see there is 2 bases for the M70, whitch one is the correct one? Is it possible to mount it without the base sticking out over the ejection port?

Thank you
I just went through this problem! :) I am mounting a Swarovski z5. The objective lens is 50mm and I have to get high rings. BUT, I think the reason I need the high rings is because of the diameter of the eye bell, which is 43mm.

The Vx-3 3.5-10 seems to have a 40mm objective so medium or even low rings would probably work. But I would just check the diameter of the eye bell.

In order to know for sure, I learned a neat trick to figure this out (after the fact of course!) Put a lump of modeling clay on your receiver and push the scope down until the bolt clears the scope. The thickness of the flattened clay is the height you need for your rings and bases(y). Morris from Alaska Arms taught me that trick!

Good luck

cagkt3

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS
Bases you need are M902/802 (per @PHOENIX PHIL 0.330" hole spacing). I just put a set on a M70 in 416 Rem Mag. I have low rings on mine, but I only have a 1-6x24mm scope on it.

Bases are $25 w/ free shipping if you are a Prime member on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00505ZWN0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screenshot (94).png

Last edited by a moderator:

30winmag

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA; Nebraska South Africa; Natal
You have all the info you need supplied by the fine folks here. My 2 cents is; make sure the scope clears the back iron sight if you have it. I use a Zeiss Conquest DL 2-8x42 Warne QD rings and Warne bases.

Tucketed

Silver supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Thank you @cagk3, you made this easy. I just purchased a safari express .375 and searching for the proper Warne bases was going no where. I certainly love AH but it’s costing me. Booked a trip to Zimbabwe for next year and though it’s plains game I got the bigger bore itch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnkeWalder

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.