Wanting to learn

Lhleggtowner

AH senior member
Reaction score
Well I have decided to build myself a new rifle. I want a 404 Jeffery. I have built 3 custom rifles. Long range stuff. This one here has me a little baffled. I have a superb builder for my other stuff but I would say he is a little inexperienced in the big(er) cartridges. So I have sought out to find other folk that have went thru the same experience in building said rifle.

I have bought a Defiance action. It has a Remington footprint with RUM boltface. While I would like a nice rifle I want a practical rifle. I am looking for a great barrel. I use kreiger and brux now. I would like to find a nice glass or wood stock for it. I really have a million questions. Thanks for letting me in and if any of you have any info, give me a shout.

Welcome to AH! I would suggest for a wood stock to look up Accurate Innovations. They have a very nice bedding system designed to work well with the big bores. Their prices are reasonable and they work with whatever barrel / action combination you end up with.

Welcome to AH.
There are plenty of enthusiasts on AH.
Good luck with your next rifle.

Hello Lhleggtowner,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Good luck on the .404 project.
It is a wonderful African caliber.
I’ve never seen one built on a push feed action.
However, there is no reason a professional Gunsmith cannot make it work.

Best regards,
Velo Dog.

Welcome to AH! I would suggest for a wood stock to look up Accurate Innovations. They have a very nice bedding system designed to work well with the big bores. Their prices are reasonable and they work with whatever barrel / action combination you end up with.
I sent an email with some questions. They seem very reasonable. Thanks.

Hello Lhleggtowner,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Good luck on the .404 project.
It is a wonderful African caliber.
I’ve never seen one built on a push feed action.
However, there is no reason a professional Gunsmith cannot make it work.

Best regards,
Velo Dog.
Wonder why one hasn’t been used? This goes back to me saying, I was new to the big game cartridges? If you or anyone does not think it will work I can make a swap now. It would be easier.

Hello and welcome!

Best of luck!

Welcome aboard Lhleggtowner. Vello Dog has already opened "Pandora's" box with an observation that made when I read your original post. That being why is this guy using a push feed action? Like him I'm unaware of any 404(s) that are not built on Mauser styled actions. The majority of working rifles converted to 404 Jeffery are / were Winchester Model 70 Safari Express. Getting 404(s) to feed properly has been an issue. There are several Gunsmith's identified in previous AH posts that know how to do it. I'd strongly suggest using one of them. If you are looking to pay $8 - 10K for a rifle there are several "Custom" builders that can oblige you.

Well il
Welcome aboard Lhleggtowner. Vello Dog has already opened "Pandora's" box with an observation that made when I read your original post. That being why is this guy using a push feed action? Like him I'm unaware of any 404(s) that are not built on Mauser styled actions. The majority of working rifles converted to 404 Jeffery are / were Winchester Model 70 Safari Express. Getting 404(s) to feed properly has been an issue. There are several Gunsmith's identified in previous AH posts that know how to do it. I'd strongly suggest using one of them. If you are looking to pay $8 - 10K for a rifle there are several "Custom" builders that can oblige you.[/

Well looks like I may have to go another route. I don’t want to over complicate this. Being a push feed. What about a 416 Remington mag. It was choice number 2. I just liked the nostalgia of the Jeffery. I actually have a Winchester action that would work for a Jeffrey. It is the longer action claw feed left handed. It is actually chambered in 7mm STW

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH Lhleggtowner!

Lhleggtowner, welcome to the AH forum! I see you are now (with AH member input) on your way to a “proper” CRF dangerous game rifle. Some good advice so far.
Best of luck with the wonderful 404 J!

I talked with them. They said they could accommodate me and for me to yell when I was ready. Thanks for the info.

Wonder why one hasn’t been used? This goes back to me saying, I was new to the big game cartridges? If you or anyone does not think it will work I can make a swap now. It would be easier.

Hi again Lhleggtowner,

I believe it will work.
Just haven’t seen one yet.
Does t make it wrong.
Just means it’s different from what I’m used to.
On this topic, it’s no secret that I prefer serious, Paul Mauser designed claw extractor / “controlled round feed” repeaters.

However, I have owned I think 3 Remington Model 721 push feed rifles in .300 H&H.
Those things are super reliable and typically target grade accurate.
And so, even though I prefer the dreaded “control round feed” type designs, nonetheless I would not hesitate to bring a model 721 / .300 H&H to Africa.
(I suspect the .30-06 that Robert Ruark brought to Africa was a model 721).

Again, good luck with your .404 Project.
I’d love to own a .404 Jeffery.
Maybe one day I will have one.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Push feed vs CRF debate may be as old as the bolt action rifle itself ;) Regardless of one’s opinion and preference, there is one consideration that you may be well served to consider. Re-sale value of a Dangerous Game bolt action rifle chambered in .404 Jeffery can be considerable. Built on a Controlled Round Feed action such as a Model 70 or M98 Mauser, the rifle could fetch $4K depending on the details. Built on a M700 or 700 clone, you might not be able to give it away. Probably a bit of an overstatement, but not by much!

Hi again Lhleggtowner,

I believe it will work.
Just haven’t seen one yet.
Does t make it wrong.
Just means it’s different from what I’m used to.
On this topic, it’s no secret that I prefer serious, Paul Mauser designed claw extractor / “controlled round feed” repeaters.

However, I have owned I think 3 Remington Model 721 push feed rifles in .300 H&H.
Those things are super reliable and typically target grade accurate.
And so, even though I prefer the dreaded “control round feed” type designs, nonetheless I would not hesitate to bring a model 721 / .300 H&H to Africa.
(I suspect the .30-06 that Robert Ruark brought to Africa was a model 721).

Again, good luck with your .404 Project.
I’d love to own a .404 Jeffery.
Maybe one day I will have one.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
Thanks for the reply. I talked to my builder today and he was scratching his head. Trying to figure why it wouldn’t feed. I told him if we had any worries I would go 416 Remington. I just liked the nostalgia of the old round. I believe both will get the job done. I have a Winchester control round feed rifle. It is in 7mm stw. I just cannot bring myself to tear it apart. I bought it after I read Layne Simpson write about it. I just got a really good deal on the action and thought I would build a African rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg