Wanted Used Copy Of Shooting The British Double Rifle By Graeme Wright

I don't think we have yet fully figured out reasonable return in e-music or literature - though music is close. I do not know any musicians, but I do know a few people who earn their living with a typewrit ....... uh computer keyboard. Novels and popular history, can create additional sustained e-income for the author once the initial print edition has had its run. But it is rare (as in Clive Cussler sort of rare) where the download scale exceeds the initial printed return. It would be particularly true of a obscure subject like fine rifles where scale of download interest would likely never exceed the value of the print run.

Last edited:
I don't think we have yet fully figured out reasonable return in e-music or literature - though music is close. I do not know any musicians, but I do know a few people who earn their living with a typewrit ....... uh computer keyboard. Novels and popular history, can create additional sustained e-income for the author once the initial print edition has had its run. But it is rare (as in Clive Cussler sort of rare) where the download scale exceeds the initial printed return. It would be particularly true of a obscure subject like fine rifles where scale of download interest would likely never exceed the value of the print run.

@Red Leg you seem to know a lot about how the sausage gets made in publishing.

Can you walk me through the economics? I had assumed that if a book has an MSRP of $60 (when in print) that the retailer, wholesale, distributor, bindery, and publisher all want their pound of flesh? The actual author maybe gets 2-3% of the final sale price?

In our sphere of interests, we just want data, information for our guns. Reloading manuals. Even giving 1/3rd of the distribution costs of a PDF to a digital entitlements company and their credit card processor, you'd think that the author would end up ahead? Never out of print? Able to make corrections or new editions in the blink of an eye?

Otherwise, as I see it now, these reference books like Graeme's were printed in very low numbers. The fair use doctrine is in full force with countless photocopies of specific pages being tossed around because people need the information and don't really want to own a $500 collector book, the average guy just wants the information on page X.

In short, I don't understand why an author gets paid a few pennies for his efforts and then sits back and watches his work-product being sold on the secondary market for many hundreds of dollars a copy. It seems strange.

@Red Leg you seem to know a lot about how the sausage gets made in publishing.

Can you walk me through the economics? I had assumed that if a book has an MSRP of $60 (when in print) that the retailer, wholesale, distributor, bindery, and publisher all want their pound of flesh? The actual author maybe gets 2-3% of the final sale price?

In our sphere of interests, we just want data, information for our guns. Reloading manuals. Even giving 1/3rd of the distribution costs of a PDF to a digital entitlements company and their credit card processor, you'd think that the author would end up ahead? Never out of print? Able to make corrections or new editions in the blink of an eye?

Otherwise, as I see it now, these reference books like Graeme's were printed in very low numbers. The fair use doctrine is in full force with countless photocopies of specific pages being tossed around because people need the information and don't really want to own a $500 collector book, the average guy just wants the information on page X.

In short, I don't understand why an author gets paid a few pennies for his efforts and then sits back and watches his work-product being sold on the secondary market for many hundreds of dollars a copy. It seems strange.
You are correct, which is why e-downloads represent a potential enduring income stream. However, a hundred downloads over five years for two-bucks a shot for an esoteric subject (double rifles pretty much defines esoteric) won't move many needles. Why would anyone go to the effort? 15 - 20k downloads and a dozen books "in print" represent a different sort of math.

There are, as you well know, all sorts of ways to get printed books to market. I would guess, and I am fairly confident with the number, that the average margin is only 8-10%. But a well received history (think Stephen Ambrose or Rick Atkinson) from a major publishing house will net an author much larger profits with no extra investment on his part. Popular authors obviously have much more leverage, and many franchise writers fund much of the publication and even distribution costs in various partnership arrangements. That means a Cussler or Childs is in the 45% range for printed copies. Interestingly, their model is not so different from the poor guy picking up the cost and distribution efforts of his great American novel, hunting biography, etc. Everything is always about scale.

There is one on Amazon for $800

About right. I've seen a few sell for $550-$650 already too.

Anyone that wants my copy can have it for $500, or I can send you a picture of the data you need from one page of the book for nothing. (Fair use)

Surprisingly enough, everyone prefers the lending-library approach to paying $500 or more.

:)

There is one on Amazon for $800

Too late, that one sold. the least expensive copy on Amazon is now this one for $2825.61 plus only $5.30 shipping & handling.

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 4.28.32 PM.png

Amen. I am a retired attorney. I learned the same thing quickly in my professional life, which was when we still used books. It's what is inside the covers that counts (some might take that statement the wrong way!). In any even, tell that to the book collectors out there.

I picked one up at a antique store in Maine. $150. I feel so lucky.
I feel lucky as well, given I got mine on ebay recently for $125...I had looked and seen the prices all over the board which of course is understandable given its low print size so I applaud anyone getting the book for any price given it has been so valuable to me given its insights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross